Free kitchen sink designs from Nigeria

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

Re: GMDX- Final

Post by YeomanTheCastle »

I've fucking done it. Christ on the cross I have done it.

16 hours (plus probably an hour or two lost in retrying) of getting my ass kicked and I've finally completed it on Hardcore. Got around the grays by setting up one of my two crates of TNT at the corridor which leads to the entrance of their chamber. I shoot one of them with my pistol so that they come after my and I shoot the TNT when it blocks their path. This doesn't kill them, so I had to finish them off using the guns I had. I then bring the TNT to Page's chamber, blowing up one turret then blowing up the other with 4 LAMs. I decided to take on the Illuminati ending since that was the hardest in my opinion. I get the first fusion reactor that's near two security bots. I find two LAMs there, one in a locked box and one in a crate and I place them close to the bots (not too close, or they'll blow up and not harm the bots in any way). I punch in the code, 7243, the bots come ou-BOOM gone.

I sighed with relief, I began to think that I might actually do this. I climbed down a ladder among some pipes which led to a little room on the ground floor. Bunch of karkians and greasals outside, so I used my 2 bio cells and switched on my cloak, used the conveniently placed repair bot to bump my bio energy back up. Sat there was the second blue-fusion reactor. 7243. The third one was in a radioactive area close by, 7243. The fourth one was again no problem with my cloak on, 7243. I had almost died form the radiation of the grays, but I turned on my environmental resistance aug just in time and used my last medkit. I had done it. All I had to do was get back up the way I came and past Page's chamber, but there was one last obstacle for me to defeat; spider bots (tied with greasals as the bats of Deus Ex). Two of the bastards crept up and I blasted them with my Shotgun. I hacked my way into the room which controlled the UC that produced them and locked the spider bots in. I had just one more button to push, and I finally did it and ended one of the most challenging playthroughs of any game I've ever played.

You're a bastard, Cybernetic Pig. Thank you for producing a great mod. =D>
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

YeomanTheCastle wrote:You're a bastard, Cybernetic Pig. Thank you for producing a great mod. =D>
My pleasure. Couldn't have seen the vision through without my talented partner though!

It wasn't just challenge, it was an all-round better gameplay and Deus Ex experience for the fans that we aimed for. I hope we succeeded for most players.

Let me know if you think there is anything we should alter or improve besides grey's health.
Oh, and consider giving us a written review on moddb if you truly think it's worth it :)
YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Hey, thanks :)

I will now criticise your review of the mod, because I am a bastard :P
-You never mentioned level design, weapons or augmentation changes.
-I pointed out above that the mod is also the work of my partner (though the design decisions were 95% me) but you accredited all work to me. This mod would be a pitiful, unworthy Deus Ex mod without my partner.
-Leave the Dragons Tooth alone :P Heh, every mod or game has something questionable or controversial, that's a rule. I think it's neccessary to still give the sense of "the ultimate sword" after the massive, neccessary damage nerf. Plus a melee weapon with a touch of range is just fun.
-Biggest challenge you ever had? How about Dark Souls? Castlevania (various)? Call of Cthulhu: DCOTE? Arx Fatalis? Turok 2? Or almost anything from the 16-bit era or before?
If you haven't played any of those, I highly recommend them. Especially Dark Souls, Call of Cthulhu, Arx Fatalis, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night or Castlevania: Order of Occlesia.

Seriously though, I appreciate the time you took to write the review and give praise as well as play the mod, and I am glad you had fun.
YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

I wanted to mention all of those things, but unfortunately the 2000 character limit told me to fuck off.

And admittedly I haven't played any of the games you've mentioned, although I'll probably play Dark Souls one day. Please don't hurt me!

*CLOAKS AND RUNS OFF*
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

2000 character limit!? What kind of bullshit is that!?

Hey, where did he go? :-s Probably to play those games, they are all fantastic.
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

So I'm on my way of finishing it one more time. The old upgrade pistols asap, made the early game a breeze. Anyway, here is the bug report!

*Transporting bodies from one area and throwing them in front of people to distract them in another doesn't work.
*Guards some times ignore the sound of throwing knives used to distract them.
*Some routes should have more save points.
*Why should someone use the glock instead of the ups?
*When you have one type of weapon in your inventory (say ups) and the enemy has another (glock) you don't pick up the ammo, even though they use the same. Same thing with A.Rifles.
*Unatco troops attacked Cop because he killed an NSF guy.
*Shea doesn't mind stealing from the bar.
*Smuglers bots attack even after I talked to Smugler. Annoying as hell that I had to repeat the last 5 minutes just to find a way to avoid them.
*mini x-bow is OP. Early game it dominates everything. Late game it one hits a Augmented MiB (not that I complain, A.MiBs are OP themselves)
*Player is invisible to cameras while using a computer
*In the Osgood and Sons, there is a closet with an aug upgrade. Change the code. I know it from memory and it doesn't appear in the game, so people should be forced to use multitools (or guess).
*I entered the Castle Clinton from the front door, killed everyone, but I was called a pacifist because I explored the secret back door)
*Please put a save point after the laser/Hot air trap, before the airfield. If you get past them once do you really need to get past them again (wasting 2-3 minutes the way I did it) if you get killed?
*The top entrance to the armory in the MJ12 prison is unlocked. It was hella easy getting in. Should require some lockpicks? 10% would be enough I guess.
*The helipad roof (MJ12 base right after you escape) is too easy. 2 guards and the are facing away from each other and no one is guarding the entrance? Easy kills.
*Idea: If you are drunk as hell, right clicking a toilet should lower your drunk level. Combine with soda "burb" sound repeated 2-4 times to sound like a throw up.
*DTS doesn't show friend or foe.
*Imho I dont like the extra range of the DTS. It doesn't fit the story and I have abused it too many times to count.
*Medbots/Repair bots should go offline based on how many points they have given you, not times you used them. (although it has grown on me, it adds a layer of strategy, but most times it's just annoying)
*When you drop the DTS and then you pick it up, there is a laser point stuck on the place you droped it.
*Idea: You should be able to disable the acoustic sensors if you hack the police in Wan Chai Market. Or not, whatever, not that importand.
*Back door to VL was blocked by an invisible wall and since cheats weren't available I couldn't get in. Had to do a frontal assault. You owe me 2 biocells, 1 medkit, some bullets and an emp grenade.
*I still don't know why you put an obstacle that you can't get past without taking damage. I'm talking about when you exit the UC. The green radiation area.
*Ford Schick doesn't give you the augmentation upgrade, although his dialogue shows that he has one for you.
*No medbots in the free clinic (NYC under martial law)
*For the love of Cthulhu, put some more save points on the ship.
*When upgrading the cloack, the description about how much energy it consumes doesn't change.
*I was spawned in Paris not on the roof, but right after the nuclear waste basement. Weird.
*Catacombs had no combat music.
*Nico doesn't attack commando that was right in front of her and he didn't attack her. (He didn't know I was there)
*In the room with the gold, a turret was shooting at a mouse (after me sounding the alarm) and after that it was targeting the flies and the camera wouldn't stop sounding the alarm, because of the dead mice. Made the room unplayable.
*I have the extra strength aug. When I right click it still throws the boxes (tnt in my case -.-) with too much force.
*At the gas station, there is a dude that sells a rebreather!
*Augmented MiBs are op and there is no good way, that isn't a waste of resources, to deal with them. Their speed is ridiculous.
*Did you reduce npc hearing back to vanilla levels?
*The UMP dominates early/medium game. 100% accuracy? With no points on rifles? Waaaaaaaay too op. How is the original rifle any better than the UMP?
*If you run at someone with speed aug on, he doesnt hear you and you can one shot him with the DTS.
*Consider giving enemies realistic FOV

I enjoyed it much better this time around! Great job! There are many new things that I liked about it. Keep it up! :mrgreen:
YK: And you... you... are a bad actress.
(unknown sound)
MC: And you have one less finger...
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DDentonas wrote: *Why should someone use the glock instead of the ups?Yes, needs more recoil and a smaller clip
*Unatco troops attacked Cop because he killed an NSF guy.This is no good without more info
*Shea doesn't mind stealing from the bar.I will add appropriate behaviour.
*Player is invisible to cameras while using a computer Vanilla. I am still considering changing it.
*In the Osgood and Sons, there is a closet with an aug upgrade. Change the code. I know it from memory and it doesn't appear in the game, so people should be forced to use multitools (or guess).Will do.
*The top entrance to the armory in the MJ12 prison is unlocked. It was hella easy getting in. Should require some lockpicks? 10% would be enough I guess.Hmm, yes, I agree.
*Idea: If you are drunk as hell, right clicking a toilet should lower your drunk level. Combine with soda "burb" sound repeated 2-4 times to sound like a throw up.No
*DTS doesn't show friend or foe.
*Imho I dont like the extra range of the DTS. It doesn't fit the story and I have abused it too many times to count.Will be adding a mutator that sets DTS back to vanilla behaviour (but still with the damage nerf)
*Medbots/Repair bots should go offline based on how many points they have given you, not times you used them. (although it has grown on me, it adds a layer of strategy, but most times it's just annoying)I prefer the way it is now, 2 charges each, choose them wisely. annoying? It was you that suggested this feature to begin with! Lol. It's good for challenge, choice & consequence/stategy, and just makes things more interesting. Thanks for that suggestion
*I still don't know why you put an obstacle that you can't get past without taking damage. I'm talking about when you exit the UC. The green radiation area.Told you last time that you can swim around
*No medbots in the free clinic (NYC under martial law) Intentional, the place was ransacked and it not being there helps with challenge
*For the love of Cthulhu, put some more save points on the ship. There is a hidden one out on the deck
*I was spawned in Paris not on the roof, but right after the nuclear waste basement. Weird.Bug. Grab the hotfix to resolve. Next upload will include the fix
*In the room with the gold, a turret was shooting at a mouse (after me sounding the alarm) and after that it was targeting the flies and the camera wouldn't stop sounding the alarm, because of the dead mice. Made the room unplayable.lol, must remove mice from list of dead things tagged by cameras. Wasn't our code but should have seen that when we made changes to it
*I have the extra strength aug. When I right click it still throws the boxes (tnt in my case -.-) with too much force.Yes, will sort.
*Augmented MiBs are op and there is no good way, that isn't a waste of resources, to deal with them. Their speed is ridiculous.I disagree, they are good fun :)
*Did you reduce npc hearing back to vanilla levels?Nerfed it a little. Still have better hearing than vanilla, but not as sensitive as before
*The UMP dominates early/medium game. 100% accuracy? With no points on rifles? Waaaaaaaay too op. How is the original rifle any better than the UMP?Doesn't have 100% accuracy. Base accuracy is 70% I think, could do with a nerf though. Pistol skill governs it's stats. UMP stands for "universal machine Pistol", and it's good for choice and consequence
*If you run at someone with speed aug on, he doesnt hear you and you can one shot him with the DTS.are you playing with v5?

I enjoyed it much better this time around! Great job! There are many new things that I liked about it. Keep it up! :mrgreen:

Good. It's pretty much complete now, as in polished and does quite a lot, and my vision for it has mostly all come together, but more to come if I can get the support needed.

Thanks for the report, and the ones of the early version of the mod, those helped it grow a lot.
Gah, this thread has 14000 views, who knows how many of them were people I look up to (original designers etc)...it's insight into all my errors and inexperience in early development, all stuff that is now resolved. I put a lot of relentless effort into the mod and I strive for perfection, but it's no wonder so few have played the mod having read this thread.
I feel confident in this mod, that it is worthy of Deus Ex and advances and refines it's design in many ways. Just look at the evidence.
Despite my early inexperience, it was my design talent (and my partner's excellent programming to back it up) and determination that saw it through. Still, I am determined to do more, I just need more backers gained by people actually playing the damn thing.
C'mon community, help me improve the greatest game of all time whilst striving to stay true to the original design. To start with I am looking for an animator: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11988
And thanks to all those who helped me along the way, thanks in advance to ggrotz for his user friendly installer (will be released soon).
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

That feeling when you kill four giant spiders in the ocean lab and then your game crashes -.-
(unknown sound)
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Log? Probably a standard crash but worth a look.

On a brighter note, DDentonas after playing the latest version has raised his review score to a 9/10 :smile:
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

I didn't keep the log. But it doesn't matter, I killed them again. :mrgreen:

Oh and consider spawing a save point close to where you fight Walton Simons, after he spawns?

Aaaaaand done! Took me 12 hours + 1ish of trial and error. I did enjoy it very much and there were moments where i was chalenged! (Damn cathedral)

Lvl4 cloaks+power recirculator uber alles
(unknown sound)
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DDentonas wrote:Oh and consider spawing a save point close to where you fight Walton Simons, after he spawns?
Hmm, yeah would be good to avoid having the player to take that long lift again.
Aaaaaand done!
:smile:

12 hours? Destroyed it.

Do you like the improved weapon behaviour added since the last version you played?
Do you think the AI are more challenging and believable?
Do you think Deus Ex has a lot more depth and polish overall with the mod installed, not including the new bugs that GMDX itself adds (the stuff in your latest report is all I am currently aware of save 1 or two minor things)?
Do you like the new player controlled game mechanics, such as the leaning expansion and picking up of corpses?
Do you like the level design changes, such as the skybox improvements, stuff done for balancing (lockpick & multitool related modifications, more environmental hazards and so on), and that some of the really bland maps have more decorative detail?

Too many people probably have the impression that this mod just increases difficulty. It improves pretty much everything I was capable of improving (with my partner), that I believe was necessary to improve.

...there is still more that can be improved, in addition to more new content that can be added to result in greater gameplay depth than ever before.
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

Your video is not available!

The AI last time was more believable. I mean I have told you that two times I was worried that my Deus Ex had become self aware! But this time was more balanced and fun! (You should make it so if you bump onto a NPC while invisible, they should know you are there)
Yes, you added a lot more depth! Made me think of new strategies to beat the game! (Although 90% of A51 was, cloak->Find code->enter code. Of course I knew all the codes from memory(maybe you should change those that are not spoken of..) but I wanted to challenge myself!)
Picking up the corpses is something that biomod did better (throwing all the stuff that don't fit in your inventory on the ground, and then you can pick up the corpse) but your way was fine too! It did get the job done! The new lean future is amazing, though I didn't use it all that much.
Level design was good (much better than last time), balancing was great, skyboxes I did not notice, decorations was good too. Loved the new Sniper sound!

Some more bugs and ideas.

At the gas station, it is posible to blow up the station, enter a firefight with the comandos and the guards still don't kill Tiffany.
In the Silo map, there is an attic at the place where the 3 guards talk about Strong and Page. You can shoot them and run back there and they will not come up after you. That way I killed all 3 of them with 3 darts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzP2fNIkXZQ This trick is doable in your mod too.
Gunther should be 5-10% faster. He has augmented legs. I was able to back away from him, without using my running aug. (Shot him 3 times on the head with my UPS, and killed him)
Consider saving the game every time the player buys something expensive. That way you don't have to rebuy things just because you are killed.
Also consider adding the future where you don't pick up knives if you have a better CC weapon.
Power recirculator should turn on automaticaly when using it would save power. Pressing F3 and F10 at the same time is annoying (I ended up going to the augmentation screen every time I wanted to turn on my cloak. It was annoying.)

Very nice job man. Really added to the Deus Ex experience!
(unknown sound)
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DDentonas wrote:Your video is not available!
Try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og-zPsQbcG8
Picking up the corpses is something that biomod did better (throwing all the stuff that don't fit in your inventory on the ground, and then you can pick up the corpse) but your way was fine too! It did get the job done! The new lean future is amazing, though I didn't use it all that much.
Biomod's method upon interacting with a corpse throws everything you cannot pick up to the ground automatically. That is quite problematic; immersion breaking having objects spawn out of thin air every time you interact with corpses, no? Sure the way you interact with them vanilla is immersion breaking, but objects constantly spanwing out of thin air every corpse may be a bit over the line...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzP2fNIkXZQ This trick is doable in your mod too.
Heh, that is extremely specific, jumping over the trigger. Can be fixed easily though so yes, burn all exploits!

Gunther should be 5-10% faster. He has augmented legs. I was able to back away from him, without using my running aug. (Shot him 3 times on the head with my UPS, and killed him).
Yeah maybe Gunther could do with a little buffing.
Also consider adding the future where you don't pick up knives if you have a better CC weapon.
I am not a fan of the numerous counter-simulational convenience features of Biomod and Shifter, but this one may have to be an exception unless a better alternative can be thought up.
Power recirculator should turn on automaticaly when using it would save power. Pressing F3 and F10 at the same time is annoying (I ended up going to the augmentation screen every time I wanted to turn on my cloak. It was annoying.
You can do this yourself.

In User.ini under [Extension.InputExt] you'll find aug bindings.
This example below makes speed enhancement also toggle power recirculator:

Code: Select all

F7=ActivateAugmentation 4 | ActivateAugmentation 8
Very nice job man. Really added to the Deus Ex experience!
:smile:

Thanks again for the testing/reports.
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

Reposting this idea I had a while back!
DDentonas wrote:
The player bleeds for 10 rounds, but this can be brought down by upgrading his medical skill. As he gets better with medicine, he know better how to stop the bleeding. Also if the player uses any form of healing, like medkits, beer, or water, the bleeding stops (alternatively the bleeding stops if you heal 5 points of damage, that would be 3 soda cans/water ). Also if you feel that smoking can make someone cool, a pack of smokes stops the bleeding as well, because maybe he puts a light cigarette in the gunshot wound to cauterize it (a google search says that it is semi-possible. Not 100% sure, but hey, it's cool imagery.) .

About damage, it could be 10% of the weapons base damage. rounded down (minimum 1) So for most weapons it would be 1pt/round, so an untrained player would take 10 points of damage over time from a pistol wound, or 20 from a sniper/shotgun wound. If the weapons on DX have different damage models (like bashing damage, slashing damage, piercing damage, flame damage) Maybe you could have weapons that deliver slashing damage (knife, sword, DTS) do double the bleeding damage, because the slash open a bigger area? I dont know about that one. Also flame and explosion attacks should not make you(or the enemy) bleed. That means the flame-thrower, plasma gun and all the explosives. The damage from the bleeding of course is not preventable, and it can't be reduced by augmentations or ballistic armour.

Lastly the player should be informed of the bleeding damage that he is sustaining. You could put in an icon, like when you get poisoned or burned. something like but in black backround

If you are unable to put a damage icon in the game, maybe you could use the log to inform the player. A message like "You are bleeding" would do.
Also I may do an online playthrough. Well more of a speed run actually :p Not a planned speed run, because those suck. I will just play through as fast as I feel like!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand another old one!
DDentonas wrote:
LOUIS
You like the nurse, eh?

JC DENTON
The nurse on the platform? She's all right.

LOUIS
You stay away from her. Camille is a good woman.

JC DENTON
What am I, then? Bad?

LOUIS
You sneak into places you don't belong without paying. Eh? Am I right? A
criminal! Give me the 300 credits or I call the police!

JC DENTON
Make me.

LOUIS
No! You -- you will pay! I will make you pay!
Maybe have two hostile police officers waiting for you outside? Nothing happens after he says that. Propably with a good reason. The devs would not like to start a fight in their cool club where so many good conversations happen. And i respect that. But calling the police to get JC outside the club, sounds like a good idea to me.

I was on fire!
the crosshair shouldn't change when you target them, because it reveals their location, without any augmentation requirment or player skill to find see invisible enemies.

Also have the Navarre and Simons cloak earlier? Why wouldn't they use their augmentations? And make them more invisible. It's piss easy to see them right now.

aaaand another

I got the greatest idea about the Health Regeneration Aug.

Ready?

Ok, here it goes. Limit the Augmentation so it can't get you back to full health.

Level 1: HR can't heal to more then 20% of each body part.
Level 2: HR can't heal to more then 30% of each body part.
Level 3: HR can't heal to more then 40% of each body part.
Level 4: HR can't heal to more then 50% of each body part.

HR players can no longer use repair bots to heal all their injuries. They can just heal part of them. Other augs or the repair bots wouldn't be affected and you basicaly solved the biggest balance problem in the game and made the medical skill more useful in one move! Of course my 20,30,40,50% stats where at the top of my head. It would take a lot of fine tuning to get it balanced, but I think it's a start.

Also I've thought that your medskill and "mine" HR can complement each other. If for example max medskill gives 20 more points (don't know what are the real stats) and HR heals 50% of the max HP, then HR would heal up to 60 points instead of 50 points if you were untrained in medskill. I like that idea!

:shock: I wasn't ready!

Well, it's a good idea. Regen is so OP. At least it can be completely ignored in DX.

However, I've already nerfed the crap out health regen, so let me know what you think about it when you play my mod. It eats away at Biocells if you rely on it and it cannot counter drowning, radiation + other hazards, and most importantly bullets anymore. though turning it on still helps obviously.

Well I played it, and still found HR one of the best augs of the game. Turns every repair bot into a Health bot. Not saying you should change it. Just reminding you of the idea in case you like it better than the last time!
(unknown sound)