Free kitchen sink designs from Nigeria

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Free kitchen sink designs from Nigeria

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:43 am, edited 63 times in total.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Re: Give Me Deus Ex Mode- V1 Release

Post by G-Flex »

One thing: In what way is the normal sniper rifle not semi-automatic?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

It is semi-auto, but it might aswell be imaginary bolt action with that rate of fire.

...I will change the name. It matters.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

It looks cool. I'll definitely play it once HDTP is done and I've replayed vanilla DX.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: GMDX Mode- V1 Release

Post by Cybernetic pig »

If you have downloaded this mod in the past few hours here is a hotfix already: Link Removed, old
Original link changed to include it.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Have you considered uploading your source to a repository site like Google Code? It might be interesting to check out.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

G-Flex wrote:Have you considered uploading your source to a repository site like Google Code? It might be interesting to check out.
Yes it will be hosted at various eventually.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Edit: Post removed by author.
Last edited by bjorn98009_91 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Out of curiosity, what's the point of the nanotech blade if it's actually less useful than medieval-era technology?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

G-flex- gameplay over realism in this instance. What is the point in low-tech skill and combat strength when you have an ultimate weapon that kills everything in one hit without touching low-tech or combat strength?

All the guns are crappy without gun skills & mods, well now melee weapons rely on corresponding skills and upgrades too.

Anyway it is better than the sword- depends on what you want from your melee weapon.
There are many aspects of the vanilla game where gameplay took priority over realism, the skill system for example.

Another example is the sawed off, it is completely useless but becomes a complete beast a max skill level + some mod upgrades. Deus Ex is an RPG, "it's all in the numbers".
Also Sawed off has rediculously brilliant range, yet the reason people saw off the barrel is to reduce range/increase spread IRL.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 8 times in total.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I'm not the most awesome of players but I can attest to this mod being more challenging. Resource management takes a higher priority, there are some cool surprises, and without getting spoilery danger can arise in places that were safe in vanilla Deus Ex.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Cybernetic pig wrote:G-flex- gameplay over realism in this instance.
I'm not talking about realism here as much as I'm talking about both gameplay and the gameplay being consisted with how things are presented in-universe.
What is the point in low-tech skill and combat strength when you have an ultimate weapon that kills everything in one hit without touching low-tech or combat strength?
Who said it has to be? It just seems odd that it doesn't do more damage than the normal sword, and actually does less against things like doors. There hardly seems to be a benefit to using it at all. Longer ranger on a melee weapon doesn't seem very relevant.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

G-Flex wrote:
I'm not talking about realism here as much as I'm talking about both gameplay and the gameplay being consisted with how things are presented in-universe.
What, like a mini crossbow dart that does the exact same damage as a high calibre sniper rifle round you mean?
Both have a base damage of 25.
G-Flex wrote: Who said it has to be? It just seems odd that it doesn't do more damage than the normal sword, and actually does less against things like doors. There hardly seems to be a benefit to using it at all. Longer ranger on a melee weapon doesn't seem very relevant.
I may increase the damage ever so slightly, but don't underestimate the DTS's extended range. Upgrade low tech to master skill and upgrade combat strength aug to max then swing away. Also ranged sneak backstabs.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Darts do 15 damage (the damage in the weapon properties != the actual projectile damage). They also have a limited effective range, and a non-zero traveltime (which tends to lower the chances of headshots).

Rifle does 25 damage, has a gigantic range, and is instant hit. Also, has a scope.

The point G-flex is making is that MJ12 have apparently ploughed a fuckton of cash into making what is now (with your changes) a glorified class 4 laserpointer that is less effective than a large hunk of sharp metal, technology we've had since the bronze age.

I will readily agree that the DTS is overwhelmingly overpowered, but it's still not an "I WIN" button. You still have to get close, after all.
Plus, without some investment in weaponskill AND augCombat, you can't use it to break turrets and alarm units, as those have a min-damage threshold of 50. As it does 100 damage in 5 separate 20 damage shots, unless you have max skill (x2 damage) and at least some augCombat (or vice versa), you're never going to get above the 50 damage cap. Same applies for quite a few doors.

And of course, taking or not taking the DTS is entirely voluntary. If someone takes it and it makes the game a piece of piss, that's their fault: self imposed limitations are pretty much the hallmark of repeat DX playthroughs.

So yeah, there's nerfing and then there's nerfing. But hey, it is your mod, so this is purely my own personal take. Feel free to ignore me. Many do. :P

EDIT: finally, backstab hit bonus (x10 damage) only works if you're close. Like, "touching" close. It's not even melee specific: you can get the 10x damage bonus with a crossbow or a rifle if you get close enough.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DDL wrote: So yeah, there's nerfing and then there's nerfing. But hey, it is your mod, so this is purely my own personal take. Feel free to ignore me. Many do. :P
Well with that you have convinced me to nerf it, not nerf it now :P

I wanted there to be more choice in the melee weapons though, but there are four worthy that come under melee- DTS, baton, riot prod and throwing knifes, so it's not all bad. Also combat knife is good to keep as a box/glass breaking item if you have little interest in melee.

But the forced limitation of a nerfed DTS is still neccessary, as in this mod you will probably feel desperate at times, and most would turn to the DTS in those times instead of getting creative/accepting the consequences of thier choices.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.