Free kitchen sink designs from Nigeria

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Marcelo
NSF

Re: GMDX Mode- V1 Release

Post by Marcelo »

The cake is ready?! :P I'll try it out! Thanks for making this mod Cyber and sharing it with others. I think you're secretly turning Deus Ex into System Shock. So what's next for V2? Breakable weapons? jk ;)
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Marcelo wrote:Breakable weapons? jk ;)
That has already been done by someone else. I would like to play the guys mod when it's finished.

Be prepared for more challenge than before as you were playing without the DeusEx.u changes.

And yes, there is some System Shock influence. But Deus Ex is basically an evolution of System Shock general design, produced by the same guy, similar design philosophy and themes.

@Gflex, yes I should have just done bisfemale=true, and removed the terrorist bark bind name.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Yeah, this was because I didn't want all the females to use the same sounds. Anyway, the female names and Unconscious sfx should be the only errors you find, but human error is inevitable. but it should have been picked up during testing really. Also, what potential problems with custom SFX are you speaking of?
Well, for one, using KO sound effects for death is confusing, because I think I'm KOing people when I'm actually killing them. Also, if you look through ScriptedPawn.uc and search for "bIsFemale", "hitsound", and similar things, you'll notice some logic that relies on bIsFemale in particular.
Hey, you are meant to be playing the mod, not looking for every error you can find by summoning stuff in! Anyway, this is not an error, read the weapon description. Find anything else on your summoning quest?
I just read the description, but it sure doesn't look or feel like it's projecting a laser, and a laser wouldn't do the normal 'Shot' damage type... probably.

Oh, regarding the spider bot weapons, it turns out you did increase both their accurate and max ranges anyway, so that part of our conversation was moot. :P
Way she walks eh, I could change max step height to give them more individuality.
Do you know what MaxStepHeight does? I'm pretty sure it's not what you think it is.
I also remembered your Plasma Rifle find and applied it to my mod. But how did you make weaponmodrange affect the projectile speed of the plasma bolts?
You'll have to check my version of DeusExWeapon.uc, probably in the DoProjectileFire() function. Basically, I modify the projectile properties when it's spawned.

And for what it's worth, you've still got a mismatch between the damage listed in Shuriken and WeaponShuriken. Not a big deal seeing how commonly that happens in the game already.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

G-Flex wrote: Well, for one, using KO sound effects for death is confusing, because I think I'm KOing people when I'm actually killing them. Also, if you look through ScriptedPawn.uc and search for "bIsFemale", "hitsound", and similar things, you'll notice some logic that relies on bIsFemale in particular.
Being a seasoned DX player, you dont need the sound indication. It's still getting changed though, of course.
When/if Bjorn gets around to writing that Program for assisting DeusExSounds.u compiling then maybe we can have a few more suitable death sounds. *Pokes Bjorn*
I just read the description, but it sure doesn't look or feel like it's projecting a laser, and a laser wouldn't do the normal 'Shot' damage type... probably.
Most of the electromagnetic spectrum is invisible. I am not an expert though.
....It is just an excuse for basing cool gameplay around realism, a hallmark of Looking Glass' games. Although my attempt doesn't do them much justice without extensive research into the electromagnetic spectrum, and the knowledge of how this can be applied to a sword :P
But then again, the description for vanilla DTS is not exactly detailed anyway.
Do you know what MaxStepHeight does? I'm pretty sure it's not what you think it is.
Haven't fiddled with that property yet, but I shouldn't bother judging by that sentence.
You'll have to check my version of DeusExWeapon.uc, probably in the DoProjectileFire() function. Basically, I modify the projectile properties when it's spawned.
Nice! Mind if I "borrow" the code?
And for what it's worth, you've still got a mismatch between the damage listed in Shuriken and WeaponShuriken. Not a big deal seeing how commonly that happens in the game already.
I'll check it out. You like tinkering with the game code more than playing the game itself, dont you?
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
G-Flex wrote: Well, for one, using KO sound effects for death is confusing, because I think I'm KOing people when I'm actually killing them. Also, if you look through ScriptedPawn.uc and search for "bIsFemale", "hitsound", and similar things, you'll notice some logic that relies on bIsFemale in particular.
Being a seasoned DX player, you dont need the sound indication. It's still getting changed though, of course.
When/if Bjorn gets around to writing that Program for assisting DeusExSounds.u compiling then maybe we can have a few more suitable death sounds. *Pokes Bjorn*
I don't think you'd need to recompile DeusExSounds in order to do that. I've imported textures directly from .uc files before, so sounds are probably no different. I've never tried, though.
Haven't fiddled with that property yet, but I shouldn't bother judging by that sentence.
MaxStepHeight is the maximum vertical distance that the character can consider a "step", e.g. on stairs. For instance, if you set it obscenely high, amusing things will happen, like being able to just run over incredibly tall walls. I've tried messing with it, but its other side effects are a bit too weird, like increased MaxStepHeight causing the pawn to hover above the ground a little.
Nice! Mind if I "borrow" the code?
Yeah, you can use whatever you want from my mod, as long as it's credited somewhere. Go nuts.
I'll check it out. You like tinkering with the game code more than playing the game itself, dont you?
Heh, I had already played through the game several times over the years before even looking at the code, so at this point, I probably do.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I take it they have no jump animation for high obstacles when max step height is set high?
I placed a gray on top of a structure with no direct path getting down and the fucker leaped like a monkey over the railing to another walkway! Actually looked really good so I decided to keep it, appropriate too as it was a reactor he was on top of, basking in the radiation.

The grays will kick your ass. Takes some skills to take them on. Hazmat suits or Eviron aug works well against them though.

Anyway dont let the females put you off, the rest of the mod there should be no fuckups like that, and if you play it seriously (no summons etc), I think you will enjoy it. I'm biased obviously, but I dont think i'll ever do a playthrough without it, now that choices feel as important as your first playthrough, plus the unique guns are fun. And it's an extension of HDTP, so thats great.

If you make HuRen Compatable with HDTP then porting my DeusEx.u changes to that should be easy too, although i'm am not sure what may clash in your mission scripting vs my map editing.

I've got to try Revision when it's released though, will be interesting.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Cybernetic pig wrote:When/if Bjorn gets around to writing that Program for assisting DeusExSounds.u compiling then maybe we can have a few more suitable death sounds. *Pokes Bjorn*
Right, well I've not forgotten about it. But you don't really need to alter DeusExSounds.u to add new sounds, you can have your own package with all the sounds in. When I was talking about it you asked about what you could change in DX without changing DeusEx.u, and DeusExSounds.u is one package you could change to replace stock sounds. Since you have your own maps (and your own DeusEx.u) you can set whatever properties you want on your pawns, and you can simply use the sounds in your package instead of the original ones.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

EDIT: I could just change it in deusex.u, I see, but new packages are...undesireable. Still, i'll keep that in mind.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Hmm, new packages are desireable! For the sake of compatibility with other mods you would want to introduce as much of your content as possible in your own packages. For example, if HDTP decided that they would just replace the original meshes and textures in DeusExItems.u instead of making a new package you could never have a toggle feature to turn HDTP characters on or off because you wouldn't have the old model any more. However if they only modified the .u files with meshes and models in them, they probably wouldn't need to change DeusEx.u and thus you wouldn't have that problem.

The point I'm trying to make is that if you have the ability to use custom packages, either from code or from the editor, then I would say "Do it!". You would save space since you don't need to redistribute all the unchanged vanilla assets and you don't need to worry about any legal issues either.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:Hmm, new packages are desireable! For the sake of compatibility with other mods you would want to introduce as much of your content as possible in your own packages. For example, if HDTP decided that they would just replace the original meshes and textures in DeusExItems.u instead of making a new package you could never have a toggle feature to turn HDTP characters on or off because you wouldn't have the old model any more. However if they only modified the .u files with meshes and models in them, they probably wouldn't need to change DeusEx.u and thus you wouldn't have that problem.

The point I'm trying to make is that if you have the ability to use custom packages, either from code or from the editor, then I would say "Do it!". You would save space since you don't need to redistribute all the unchanged vanilla assets and you don't need to worry about any legal issues either.
But dont you have to add the lines in the .ini during installation? But I see, seems the pros outweigh the cons.
Marcelo
NSF

Post by Marcelo »

WE WANT MOAR AUGS FOR V2!

Some ideas for new augs scattered in game.

-The Psi thingy in SS2 that throws a hologram solid wall in front of the player.
-bionic vision: Basically Augmented vision with zoom without the use of binoculars.
-Bionic hearing: Aug that amplifies the hearing threshold so you can hear conversations and steps from a greater distance.

I know this is just wishful thinking but you never know. :roll:
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Marcelo wrote:WE WANT MOAR AUGS FOR V2!

Some ideas for new augs scattered in game.

-The Psi thingy in SS2 that throws a hologram solid wall in front of the player.
-bionic vision: Basically Augmented vision with zoom without the use of binoculars.
-Bionic hearing: Aug that amplifies the hearing threshold so you can hear conversations and steps from a greater distance.

I know this is just wishful thinking but you never know. :roll:
All these require new code. They are perfectely do-able, but I'd need more coding experience. Anyway please keep the feedback coming- suggestions and reports.

If there any bored coders about, feel free to help out, if you so please.
That reminds me, I may call in reinforcements- a coder I know with vast unrealscript knowledge, if he is willing.

But my mod makes some of the lesser augs more useful, just so you know.

-Hearing. Would be cool, but more of a novelty aug. Vision aug with the ability to see through walls makes it kinda useless.
-Vision. Already in the game. Turn on vision aug then look down binocs or scope. You did say without the use of binocs though, but nevermind.
-Shield. This one is a very cool idea, but would have to replace ballistic protection, at least in my mod.

The true weapon of a modern warrior, the Dragon's Tooth is not a sword in the traditional sense, but a nanotechnologically constructed blade that is dynamically 'forged' on command into a non-eutactic solid. Nanoscale whetting devices insure that the blade is both unbreakable and lethally sharp.
The shield could work similar to the sword, dynamically "forged" on command into a non-eutectic solid. But I dunno, needs to have a bit of plot surrounding it too, linking it to MJ12s production of the dragons tooth or something.
Baldur
Thug

Post by Baldur »

Can i play the mod w/o HDTP installed?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

If you want to play it in combination with HuRen, then sorry, no. Well, you can, but there WILL be some problems, even if they are minor. Plus i'd rather you get the full GMDX experience :smile:

HDTP is outstanding man. Pretty guns plus visual changes to the weapons when you mod them, it's the one thing that Deus Ex has always needed, in my opinion. Characters can be disabled if you so choose, nicer objects (the detail on the computer keyboards is sweet).

Anyway naturally I want everyone to try the mod and have fun, but HDTP and my DeusEx.u changes are an important part of GMDX. The unique weapons and nerfed regen aug for example.
Baldur
Thug

Post by Baldur »

I was asking w/o HDTP only. i know it's not compatible with HR so all my mod plays are w/o HR anyway!
will try HDTP but currently want to try this mod w/o HDTP and play, if possible!..

EDIT: A couple of features require HDTP..oops. Dld. HDTP first than. and go for install!.. :)