I've got a problem

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

bahhgarr
Mole Person

I've got a problem

Post by bahhgarr »

I'm currently in hell's kitchen at the Underworld Tavern and every time I try to leave the game freezes but music keeps playing and it then crashes and says "RiotCop 08_NYC_.RiotCop1(State DeusEX.ScriptedPawn.Patrolling001C) Runaway loop detected(over 10000000 iterations)
I'm using New Vision 1.5 and HDTP beta.Can anyone help?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: I've got a problem

Post by bobby 55 »

In the HDTP beta options uncheck the MJ12 option and see if that works.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
bahhgarr
Mole Person

Post by bahhgarr »

bobby 55 wrote:In the HDTP beta options uncheck the MJ12 option and see if that works.
I've already done that and I also tried turning off the riot cop? option
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

It looks like a pathing error. The only thing I can think of that may help is using cheats. Something like : kill all DeusEx RiotCops. If it's a pathing error a trooper is getting stuck somewhere. I don't think I've ever seen that particular error before. Someone else might have more of a clue how to help.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

This could be related to New Vision, since New Vision includes a fixed version of that map. Could be something wrong with that maps pathing or patrol points. Probably won't help you now, but it might if you load a savegame that's before you get to 08_NYC_Street (should be before you leave Hong Kong). Then you could just go into the New Vision\Maps and delete 08_NYC_Street.dx and continue on to NYC and see if it works.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:This could be related to New Vision, since New Vision includes a fixed version of that map. Could be something wrong with that maps pathing or patrol points. Probably won't help you now, but it might if you load a savegame that's before you get to 08_NYC_Street (should be before you leave Hong Kong). Then you could just go into the New Vision\Maps and delete 08_NYC_Street.dx and continue on to NYC and see if it works.
I does sound like a map problem, but New Vision is a popular mod, you'd think this would have been discovered before? Something probably glitched out with a pawn as he entered the Underworld bar.
But anyway, Bjorn's recommendation is probably the best course of action, as he would know more than most.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Well it wasn't that long ago that the latest version of New Vision was released (believe me, I was there ;) ), and to my recollection the map portion of the mod was publicly seen as late as November 2012, so it's possible that it might have slipped through. It could well be that it's one of those things almost never happens, and you've just been unlucky to get the game into such a state.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Pathing errors like this do happen. I don't think it's necessarily a specific map issue (though obviously pathing is dependent on map), as I've had it happen several times in different maps even in vanilla DX. Something in the destination picking code just goes fubar.

It shouldn't be an HDTP issue, since it's not like we stuck novel patrolling code in there.

Bobby's suggestion of "killall riotcop" is probably your best bet, to be honest.

You could also, if pressed, simply copy 08_NYC_Street.dx to the appropriate save in your save folder, and rename it 08_NYC_Street.dxs : this will overwrite the saved version of the map, so any changes you've made to the map (people killed, things moved around, one-time triggers triggered) will be reset, but it should at least be playable. It might also bork everything, but hey.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

There's a long-standing bug that apparently happens on the Lebedev airfield map where a security bot causes a similar crash. I've never seen it myself, but kentie's site mentions it, and someone posted the issue to my mod's Google Code page. I had to make up an issue status called "Mysterious" to assign to it, because frankly, I've never seen it replicated and have no idea if there's a reliable way to do so.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Yeah, I've had that one.

I'd like to think it's a futile cycle in the native path-determination network, like where two possibly paths are identically appealing, or where the pathing nextnode linkedlist references itself or something, but I honestly don't have a clue. I suspect it's native, though.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

If only we had the source code... and collision boxes that weren't just octagonal cylinders.
bahhgarr
Mole Person

Post by bahhgarr »

DDL wrote:
You could also, if pressed, simply copy 08_NYC_Street.dx to the appropriate save in your save folder, and rename it 08_NYC_Street.dxs : this will overwrite the saved version of the map, so any changes you've made to the map (people killed, things moved around, one-time triggers triggered) will be reset, but it should at least be playable. It might also bork everything, but hey.
This worked except I lost all my progress on the mission luckily not much but I also lost my inventory,notes etc
DDL

Post by DDL »

Hrmm: so quite a LOT of stuff is saved in the dxs file, huh? Well, I guess we both learned something.

Ok, how about staying in the bar and teleporting to 08_NYC_Street via the legend menu, with the "Travel" box ticked?
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

I really doubt that game flags or character notes are stored in the map save files (in fact, this seems nearly impossible), but I suppose anything is possible.
DDL

Post by DDL »

It does seem odd, I admit. I would've thought most travel vars would've propagated happily, at the very least.