Mod compatibility questions

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Zireael
NSF

Mod compatibility questions

Post by Zireael »

Say I want to improve my Deus Ex game.

I want to run the following mods:
ENBSeries, Deus Ex Revision, Shifter, DXStats.

Revision + Shifter work fine.

When Shifter is updated, I'd like to add HDTP beta to the mix. Possibly also HuRen.

I'd also love to get my hands on Thievery Mutator, but use only the lightgem part, without AI changes.

I'm using Kentie's launcher.

Is it possible? Sorry if the question is stupid, I found out Deus Ex mods for the first time four days ago!

If mods conflict due to overwriting the same file, is there a way of 'patching' the given .u file so that you can have changes from both Shifter and DXStats?
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Re: Mod compatibility questions

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

I should point out that there is a new version of Revision in semi-closed beta. If you wait a while (sorry, no ETA on when it will be finalized) you'll get more Shifter-compatibility than what you currently have.

ENBSeries is part of a renderer, so you should have no problems using that with anything else.

Kenties launcher is a launcher (.exe), no problems with using it with anything else.

Shifter, HDTP and HuRen all modify the same file. When HDTP is final, Shifter and HuRen will add support for all the HDTP stuff. I think DXStats modify DeusEx.u too, so that's probably not going to be compatible. You could, with some UnrealScript knowledge and a lot of time decompile mods, merge the codebases and then recompile, but that's a lot of trouble.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

I just ran ENBSeries with Shifter + Revision. Works fine apart from the fact that it's a little too dark, even with Brightness bumped up to the max. Is there any way to increase the gamma?

Yeah, looks like all these mods modify DeusEx.u. Argh. I wish there was a neat patching program for Deus Ex like WeiDU for Baldur's Gate...
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

I don't think so :/

However Revision was not made for use with ENB, it should look pretty good with the OpenGL or DX10 renderer though.

We will also include instructions on getting Shifter to work properly with the next version.
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

Well, it turns out it was so dark cuz I'd accidentally turned ESB off. This driver seriously needs a big on/off message. Like the HDTP textures.

Still stumped about in-game brightness setting not helping, though.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Any maps in particular that's dark in Revision?
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

Battery Park around the subway station. Hell's Kitchen is much better.

Still, the main problem was me turning ESB off by accident, since it has no on/off messages.

Some more questions:
1) I'm seeing a lot of references to "decompile, compare differences using a program, merge, compile". What programs could I use to merge DX Stats with Shifter and how much time does decompiling take? I've seen a reference to 30 secs :P

2) Is there a mod which restores a planned JC female model? I'm aware that the voice would remain male, but I want it just for appearance...
3) I've read that the devs planned the ability to customize JC's glasses and coat. Could it be done using HDTP's switches (prepare 3-4 recolored textures and a switch)?
3) Is there a mod which fixes the LAM suspended in midair bug? (Put a LAM on a closed door, deactivate it, open the door, the LAM is handing in midair) Same question for LAM wall climbing...
4) Would it be possible to get IW's ragdoll physics in DX1?

EDIT: 5) How do I put saves back in Deus Ex folder if I'm using Kentie's launcher?

Thanks in advance.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Zireael wrote: Some more questions:
1) I'm seeing a lot of references to "decompile, compare differences using a program, merge, compile". What programs could I use to merge DX Stats with Shifter and how much time does decompiling take? I've seen a reference to 30 secs :P

2) Is there a mod which restores a planned JC female model? I'm aware that the voice would remain male, but I want it just for appearance...
3) I've read that the devs planned the ability to customize JC's glasses and coat. Could it be done using HDTP's switches (prepare 3-4 recolored textures and a switch)?
4) Is there a mod which fixes the LAM suspended in midair bug? (Put a LAM on a closed door, deactivate it, open the door, the LAM is handing in midair) Same question for LAM wall climbing...
5) Would it be possible to get IW's ragdoll physics in DX1?

EDIT: 6) How do I put saves back in Deus Ex folder if I'm using Kentie's launcher?

Thanks in advance.
1. You want the Editing Pack with UnrealEd1 installed. Make sure you have one of the mods "installed" and then open up UnrealEd1, switch the browser at the right to actors and press the button 'export all'. That will export all scripts into your Deus Ex directory. The only thing you want is the 'DeusEx' directory because it's the code that is used in DeusEx.u. Save this folder somewhere.
Now install the other mod (overwriting your DeusEx.u) and do the same thing (export, etc.).
Now you have two folders, with code from each mods DeusEx.u. You'll then use a file compare program like DoubleKiller to compare the two code folders and move the files that match (to some other place for now), since matching files probably contain vanilla code that you want for the recompile later.

What you should have now is two folders with only the files that differ left. You'll now use a text editor like Notepad++ with the file compare plugin to compare each file and see what the difference is. Just copy stuff that differs from one file to the other. When you are done with all files, put in the vanilla scrips you moved off before and then slam the script folder in your 'Deus Ex' root folder, delete DeusEx.u and run ucc make.

2. Not that I know of.

3. It's not impossible (TNM did this) but it's not included in HDTP.

4. Could probably be fixed, that LAM should be attached to the mover via an attach tag. Someone ought to code it up :)

5. Not unless you recode the engine to include proper physics support. I've seen a video on youtube some time ago about adding "fake" physics to DX. But I think that project died.

6. First edit your shortcut and add the -localdata parameter after the

Code: Select all

DeusEx.exe"
That should prevent new saves from being saved there. Then just move your save directory from My Documents to your regular Save directory.
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

You want the Editing Pack with UnrealEd1 installed. Make sure you have one of the mods "installed" and then open up UnrealEd1, switch the browser at the right to actors and press the button 'export all'. That will export all scripts into your Deus Ex directory. The only thing you want is the 'DeusEx' directory because it's the code that is used in DeusEx.u. Save this folder somewhere.
Now install the other mod (overwriting your DeusEx.u) and do the same thing (export, etc.).
Now you have two folders, with code from each mods DeusEx.u. You'll then use a file compare program like DoubleKiller to compare the two code folders and move the files that match (to some other place for now), since matching files probably contain vanilla code that you want for the recompile later.

What you should have now is two folders with only the files that differ left. You'll now use a text editor like Notepad++ with the file compare plugin to compare each file and see what the difference is. Just copy stuff that differs from one file to the other. When you are done with all files, put in the vanilla scrips you moved off before and then slam the script folder in your 'Deus Ex' root folder, delete DeusEx.u and run ucc make.
I wish there was some patching functionality, but still, not so bad. Where do I get Editing Pack and UnrealEd1? I'm assuming ucc make is a part of the Pack...
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

The editing pack can be found here: http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... 36&t=10464
It contains UnrealEd1 (UED1 for short), and yes, ucc.exe is included. Just open a command prompt in your deus ex/system directory and then type ucc make and it will run the compiler.
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:The editing pack can be found here: http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... 36&t=10464
It contains UnrealEd1 (UED1 for short), and yes, ucc.exe is included. Just open a command prompt in your deus ex/system directory and then type ucc make and it will run the compiler.
Cool! The download isn't too big, only 40 MB, so I'll grab it tomorrow and work on merging DXStats and Shifter.
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

I managed to grab New Vision, but I'm not sure if the new textures are showing up.

I play Revision + Shifter + ESB.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Are you using Kentie's launcher? If so, then you can just tick the New vision paths there.

If not, then you have to go to your regular System folder and add these two lines to Revision.ini before any of the other path lines.

Paths=..\New Vision\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\New Vision\Textures\*.utx
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Does Revision use it's own deusex.u like Shifter, Human Renovation and HDTP do?
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

nerdenstein wrote:Does Revision use it's own deusex.u like Shifter, Human Renovation and HDTP do?
Nope, we do not. We've really tried to avoid that for compatibility.