Portable DX Install?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Epifols
Thug

Portable DX Install?

Post by Epifols »

I'm getting pretty tired of having to install a dozen fixes and improvements, as well as all the mods, every time I want to install DX. Getting everything to work together can be quite challenging, especially after not dealing with any of the files for a year or two.

Does anyone have a solution to create a portable installation of everything?

I have tried a virtual install of Win XP on an external HDD with the game on it, but VMWare does not seem to be ideal for gaming. Installing directly on a USB would require messing with the registry, which I'm not familiar with. I suppose as a last resort an entire laptop can be dedicated to housing old games.
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
DDentonas
UNATCO

Re: Portable DX Install?

Post by DDentonas »

Get the game from gog.com
Install it on a USB.
Apply mods.
Enjoy it everywere.
When you are done with playing, copy your savegames back to the usb, because DX saves all the time in the hard drive. You can load them up normaly in the next machine you are playing on.

At least that's what i've done..
YK: And you... you... are a bad actress.
(unknown sound)
MC: And you have one less finger...
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

By default, Deus Ex saves to the 'saves' folder within the Deus Ex folder. With Kentie's launcher however, the program itself saves to the 'Documents' folder.
From my suggestion, he added a way to stop that.
Attention: As noted, this executable stores saves and configuration files in 'My Documents'. Don't worry, existing savegames in the old location will be detected and can be loaded. If you with to continue to use the original file locations, use the '-localdata' command-line option.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Epifols
Thug

Post by Epifols »

This is probably the 6th time I've bought the game, but right now Cog is having a half off sale, so I'll give that a try.
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

nerdenstein wrote:By default, Deus Ex saves to the 'saves' folder within the Deus Ex folder. With Kentie's launcher however, the program itself saves to the 'Documents' folder.
From my suggestion, he added a way to stop that.
Attention: As noted, this executable stores saves and configuration files in 'My Documents'. Don't worry, existing savegames in the old location will be detected and can be loaded. If you with to continue to use the original file locations, use the '-localdata' command-line option.
Yes, only Kentie's launcher will cause this because of user permission settings in Windows Vista onwards. Normally Deus Ex will save in it's own directory, wherever that is.
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

Epifols wrote:This is probably the 6th time I've bought the game, but right now Cog is having a half off sale, so I'll give that a try.

I dont even remember how many times i've bought the game, just to rise it's sales. :)
YK: And you... you... are a bad actress.
(unknown sound)
MC: And you have one less finger...