Buggered menu UI

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Xan
Mole Person

Buggered menu UI

Post by Xan »

Hi everyone! I have a Deus Ex mod question, and seeing as this forum is full of intelligent folk and the problem *might* stem from a mod hosted here- enough preamble.

Deus Ex 1112fm (GOTY), installed mods: DXEnhanced, New Vision 1.5, HDTPBeta (downloaded today), Shifter, and Kentie's loader.

Text is not sized properly, i.e. it overruns its bounds. But not everywhere. Additionally, the translucent backing changed from the default, making it difficult to read things (and it just looks plain bad). Some of the text seems to be completely garbled. I tested things as I installed them and *think* it happened during Shifter or DXEnhanced. I don't know if the root cause is Shifter, Enhanced, or a mod conflict.

Anyone know to fix this, or if there is an .ini setting I should experiment with?

Note: I'm running the game from DeusEx.exe, located in the system folder. This seems to have been updated to Kentie's loader (I'm not sure, as I've never used it before). I've set it to load New Vision and HDTP files; I assume this is how it should be done, and that I shouldn't use a different .exe?

Pictures:
Main Menu
Settings->Colors Menu Note that menu transparency is disabled.

Its late here, so I'll check back tomorrow and do some additional testing.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Re: Buggered menu UI

Post by G-Flex »

How are you running the HDTP Beta, New Vision, and Deus Ex Enhanced at the same time? Don't all of those replace DeusEx.u? That might be your problem.

The big text would be DXE's doing; I recognize the font. It doubles the size of most GUI elements, including larger fonts (although some things, like infolink portraits, are rather buggy). I'm pretty sure your multiple-mod installation process messed something up, so it's still using DXE's fonts but not the GUI elements themselves.

In what order did you install the mods?
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

New Vision is a "level-textures only" mod: it works with everything. And is wonderful.

Shifter I don't think works with the latest HDTP yet.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

I knew that, but for some reason I decided to misspeak anyway! Yeah, New Vision shouldn't cause any problems.
Xan
Mole Person

Post by Xan »

In DXE's summary, it says it is compatible with HDTP and requires shifter. I figured they should all play nice together. However, upon closer inspection, it says it is compatible with HDTP r1- making no mention of the (then not released) HDTP beta.

If I remember right, the only time I overwrote DeusEx.u was when I overwrote the original, and when I put in DXE's file (which overwrote Shifter's). HDTP puts a DeusEx.u file inside its separate folder (HDTP\System). I remember thinking at the time, "Wait... does that mean HDTP loads this version, so everything in the DXE/Shifter version is overwritten? Or if I change the order in the loader, that all the HDTP stuff would be overwritten instead?"

There used to be a repository of Shifter builds, but the link on ModDB doesn't work anymore. I saw in the HDTP thread that a new Shifter build was in the works; anyone know if it will be posted on ModDB, these forums, or somewhere else?

EDIT: I restored the files modified by DXEnhanced, and all the problems are gone. I sent an email to Anthony; we'll see if he is interested in updating it, or perhaps passing it along to someone else. Still, if Shifter and new HDTP don't get along, I'll run into other problems.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Well, if you're unalterably enamoured of shifter, just ignore the HDTPbeta and use the old version on moddb. Then set it all up as before.

I suspect that shifter/DXE do not use the HDTP deusex.u at all, though (instead accessing the HDTP assets directly), so you might be able to just run those anyway: I don't think I made any changes to the names/properties of existing assets between the first release and the beta of HDTP, so any references in shifter may still work. I certainly don't think anything in HDTP should bork your menu UIs like that, anyway.
Xan
Mole Person

Post by Xan »

Naw, looks like something to do with Enhanced did the menu thing, though why is anyone's guess.

Hm. So I have to chose between much improved graphics, or improved gameplay. Man I hate making decisions like that. Does the loader replace entire files, or just changes to files? For instance, if I set the loader to pull in HDTP's .u file last, will it completely replace the Shifter .u, or does it only add to and override changes?
DDL

Post by DDL »

It'll completely replace it, I suspect. DX is not very modular.