Deus Ex GotY (Steam): HDTP, Shifter, and New Vision

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Pyratheon
Mole Person

Deus Ex GotY (Steam): HDTP, Shifter, and New Vision

Post by Pyratheon »

Hi, I'm new to these forums. Thousand apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I'm trying to get my Deus Ex to work with those three mods, essentially.

I've tried installing them in various orders, and ways, but it's simply not working.

If I install the game, then HDTP (through extracting folder by folder, and copying textures and the .u file); then copying the two files from Shifter after that, those two mods work well together.
So I can run HDTP and Shifter with no problem.

However, whenever I try and install New Vision, everything messes up. That is, Shifter messes up. I can get HDTP and New Vision to work, but not with Shifter. It doesn't matter if I install NV before, during or after the others.

Hope you can see my problem. I essentially want to run all three at once.

Sorry if this is a bit rambly, very tired from finishing up my dissertation. Actually wanted to relax with some Deus Ex, but see how that went. :P

PS: Using Shifter 1.8.3, and NV 1.5
Last edited by Pyratheon on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pyratheon
Mole Person

Re: Deus Ex GotY (Steam): HDTP, Shifter, and New Vision

Post by Pyratheon »

I'm in Windows 7, 64 bit, if it matters.

A step-by-step explanation would be very helpful. It's been a few years since I've been meddling around with these things.

DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Of those three, new vision is the least likely to cause any problems. Shifter and the latest HDTP aren't even compatible yet, as far as I know, so it's quite surprising they're apparently working ok together for you.

When you say "shifter messes up", what exactly do you mean?

Also, did you install the HDTP release1 (i.e. the actual installer) before copying all the beta files across?
Pyratheon
Mole Person

Post by Pyratheon »

Using the HDTP installer does not work for me, so I open the .exe with 7zip, then copy over the HDTP, Map, and System folders into where they should go, then move the .u file and the texture file.

By "messes up", I mean that it seems to be installed, the alternate fire keybinding, for example, is displayed in the options menu, but I do not get experience from kills, so it's not effectively operational. Hope that's more clear.
DDL

Post by DDL »

So do you actually make new ini files and create a shortcut to HDTP? Because that's one of the things the installer does, and it's pretty vital to actually using the HDTP assets.

Shifter is coded to work entirely separately from HDTP: it doesn't use any HDTP code directly, instead simply looking for HDTP assets (models, textures) and then using them appropriately. As far as I'm aware, the latest version of shifter works with release1 of HDTP, not the beta. While the beta contains everything from release1, it also has a lot of other stuff, so you might find that some things behave strangely or simply don't work correctly under shifter (some people have reported that all weapon-mods are visible by default, for instance).

New Vision is textures. It's JUST textures, and should thus work with everything, no matter what you do. How are you installing and running it?

It might help if you state exactly what you've done.

If it were me (and I've not used shifter, so I'm not entirely sure how it works) I would install NV first, which (as I recall) involves manually adding the requisite lines to your deusex.ini file to get the textures to load. Then I would install HDTPrelease1, which not only puts all the files in the right places, it also copies your deusex.ini and user.ini files and makes HDTP versions of them, while also creating a shortcut to run deusex via those .ini files, not the native .ini files.

If I were planning on using shifter, I would not patch HDTP up to the beta, because: shifter-incompatibility. I would thus then simply install shifter, which I suspect does much the same as the HDTP installer (copying .ini files and rerouting deusex through them), which should allow it to benefit from both NV and HDTP assets.
Pyratheon
Mole Person

Post by Pyratheon »

It worked! Thanks for the help!

What I did was this:

Install Deus Ex, run it.

Install New Vision 1.5, run it.

Install HDTP-Release1, run it. Didn't work. Moved HDTPanim.utx from the HDTP folder, to /texures, and the DeusEx.u file from /HDTP/System to /system, after having renamed the DeusEx.u file there to DeusEx.u.hdtp - Then I ran it again. Worked.

Then I simply renamed the DeusEx.u and DeusEx.int files in /system to DeusEx.u.orig and DeusEx.int.orig, then extracted shifter 1.8.3 into /system folder.

Works completely now. Only thing is I don't want to try and get an enhanced launcher, as I think that might mess it up. I'll just stick with this - as close to perfect as I'm getting! Hope that helps anyone else having the same problem.

PS: Does anyone know how to use dx10 rendered without an enhanced launcher, or how to install an enhanced launcher without messing up other mod settings?
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

Copy the deus ex folder as it is now.
Try the enchanced launcer.
If it works keep it.
If it doesn't move the copied folder back and replace all.
YK: And you... you... are a bad actress.
(unknown sound)
MC: And you have one less finger...