Does Shifter (or perhaps another mod) add a "dash" function?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

MR.F.
Thug

Does Shifter (or perhaps another mod) add a "dash" function?

Post by MR.F. »

I'm playing Deus Ex with a controller because I have wrist problems, and when I play Deus Ex with shifter installed, I accidentally "dash" a lot, just because the way the joystick works. Dashing is performed by tapping a movement direction twice. How was that installed? I'd like to remove that, but I don't know where to look (I have all the classes exported and I know how to re-compile to make another deusex.u).

Thanks!
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: Does Shifter (or perhaps another mod) add a "dash" funct

Post by Cybernetic pig »

dash, eh? Interesting. May have to check that out.
Anyway, look in DeusExPlayer.uc, it's probably in there.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Weird...As far as I realize, the default state is for the player character to run and not walk (there's a button you press/hold to do that). Are you sure you didn't end up with the jumpy legs aug on and not realize it?
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

I think Shifter has a double-tap dodge function like in Unreal Tournament, but I'm pretty sure it only exists in Unrealistic difficulty, the existence of which isn't even obvious, so... I'm not sure what might be going on.

Did you try to install any mods aside from Shifter?
MR.F.
Thug

Post by MR.F. »

It's definitely a dash in the way you think a dash works in most games. It's more horizontal than a jump and he moves faster than a walk (until he stops dashing). Depending on what button I press twice (forward, strafe left, strafe right, back), my character will "dash" in that direction. The input command is also consistent. I'm not sure what I installed that caused that to happen.... but it does.

@G-Flex, maybe it's the double-tap dodge. I am playing Shifter on Unrealistic difficulty.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

That's it, then. I don't know where exactly in the Shifter codebase this change is, but I'd search through for instances of "combatDifficulty" in Shifter's version DeusExPlayer.uc, since that's the variable that's checked.
MR.F.
Thug

Post by MR.F. »

G-Flex wrote:That's it, then. I don't know where exactly in the Shifter codebase this change is, but I'd search through for instances of "combatDifficulty" in Shifter's version DeusExPlayer.uc, since that's the variable that's checked.
Ah, thanks! I just tried playing on Realistic and verified that. I would not have guessed that it was an Unrealistic thing. I'll take a look at combatDifficulty. Thanks again.
MR.F.
Thug

Post by MR.F. »

I found it. It's under function "PlayerMove"

The dodge ability is controlled with "DodgeClickTime".

The if/then to enable dodging is straightforward.

Thanks G-Flex!
~DJ~
UNATCO

Post by ~DJ~ »

I'm surprised not many know about this?
It was pretty common knowledge in mutliplayer atleast, before DXMTL that is, or for non-MTL based servers.