Still Think Jock Is a Madman After the Chat at NY Bar...

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: Still Think Jock Is a Madman After the Chat at NY Bar...

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Jonas wrote:Problem is it wouldn't be that immersive with Unity ;).
Yeah but again, it would look better than System Shock 1 and Ultima Underworld, and that is good enough for me :)
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

@ Gamer; Probably the gigantic work involved.

Also, somewhat dubious if people this age (ugh) would accept first person that doesn't look like super-next-gen.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

gamer0004 wrote:A team of unpaid people were able to make TNM
Yeah in seven years!
Is that everything to do with size of the maps? Or would making a game like DX require an insane amount of programming what with all the systems required in such a game?
Both.
Hassat Hunter wrote:Also, somewhat dubious if people this age (ugh) would accept first person that doesn't look like super-next-gen.
They wouldn't. Not enough people to justify the effort (thus cost) to develop the game, anyway. Hell we're on our third art revision for Clandestine right now (it's not even first person!) because people wouldn't shut up about how low-detail our art style was. We'll fucking show them with this next revision though!
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Jonas wrote:
gamer0004 wrote:A team of unpaid people were able to make TNM
Yeah in seven years!
Yes, but you said yourself that if you would've had a clear idea of what you were going to do, you could've done it in 2. It was 7 years, but that was with a team of unpaid, untrained volunteers who for the first few years barely knew they were making a huge conversion mod (it started as a single map, right?). But of course most of the systems were already in place.
Jonas wrote:
Hassat Hunter wrote:Also, somewhat dubious if people this age (ugh) would accept first person that doesn't look like super-next-gen.
They wouldn't. Not enough people to justify the effort (thus cost) to develop the game, anyway. Hell we're on our third art revision for Clandestine right now (it's not even first person!) because people wouldn't shut up about how low-detail our art style was. We'll fucking show them with this next revision though!
I guess it depends on how you do it though, if you make it really cartoony with bright colours you can get away with less detail than if you use a more realistic colour palette.
Still, Mount & Blade was very successful despite - let's be honest - looking crap.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

gamer0004 wrote:I guess it depends on how you do it though, if you make it really cartoony with bright colours you can get away with less detail than if you use a more realistic colour palette.
Yes and no. Making a highly stylised game that looks good enough to attract a wide audience is almost as hard as doing high-detail art. First-person or third-person games that are highly stylised tend to either be for children or a fairly limited indie audience. Team Fortress 2 may seem like an exception to you, but it was actually fairly high tech when it came out - their characters use a lot of shaders, for example. Borderlands is similar - it looks low detail, but it's not.

Additionally, when you can't just use doctored photos as your textures, you have to hand-paint all your textures, which takes a long time. What I'm saying is yeah you'll save a lot of time, but not as much as you might think, and it will limit your audience. If you're making a platformer or an adventure game, it's different.
Still, Mount & Blade was very successful despite - let's be honest - looking crap.
Yeah but Mount & Blade offered a game experience that no other game offered. If you're going to make an FPS that looks like that, you better have an ace up your sleeve, and "it's kinda like Deus Ex" will not cut it :)

Listen, even Conquistador has received flack for its low-detail art style, and that's an indie RPG for crying out loud. Around these parts, we have a real tendency to underestimate the importance of graphics to most gamers. The hard core old school market is a lot more limited than we'd all like to believe, actually publishing a game for our segment has opened my eyes to that.

And even if the audience is there, good luck convincing a publisher that this is the case. And if you can't convince a publisher, good luck funding the development of the game. Talented and experienced game developers don't work for free.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine