Hilarious Deus Ex Speedrun (AGDQ 2014)

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

kdawg88
MJ12

Hilarious Deus Ex Speedrun (AGDQ 2014)

Post by kdawg88 »

Full of funny in-jokes and bugs. If you're a DX fan you'll love this (I did).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYEZptUMXro
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Hilarious Deus Ex Speedrun (AGDQ 2014)

Post by Jonas »

Nice, just wasted a good hour on that. Very entertaining :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

kdawg88 wrote:If you're a DX fan you'll love this (I did).
Both loved and hated it:

Love:

-The ending bug was hilarious.
-I like the unique skill involved with speed running.
-The guy did it exceptionally well in one sitting.
-Was for charity.

Hate:

-Deus Ex being speedran, just something about that makes me a little depressed. You miss everything that makes Deus Ex great by speedrunning it. Of course the guy clearly knew his Deus Ex, but I still don't like the idea of DX being speedran. It's an unforgettable 20-25 hour experience, and I savour every second.
-It stole 1 hour of my life. Why I kept watching I don't know. There was funny moments but still, one bloody hour seeing all the devs excellent work skipped through.
-Reminded me of some exploits/bugs that should be fixed.

That said, I'd like to see a speedrun of GMDX. Between hardcore mode, tougher AI, tougher level design and numerous bug and exploit fixes, some sections speed runners would have extra challenge on their hands and have to play them out differently.
But again I wouldn't want to see the original devs and my own flash before my eyes :=/ I've always had a love/hate perspective on speedrunning.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Speedruns are rather cool in general imo, but it depends on the game. Deus ex is one of the better, because there's very little unskippable stuff and lots of fun glitches to help break the game.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
kdawg88 wrote:If you're a DX fan you'll love this (I did).
Hate:

-Deus Ex being speedran, just something about that makes me a little depressed. You miss everything that makes Deus Ex great by speedrunning it. Of course the guy clearly knew his Deus Ex, but I still don't like the idea of DX being speedran. It's an unforgettable 20-25 hour experience, and I savour every second.
-It stole 1 hour of my life. Why I kept watching I don't know. There was funny moments but still, one bloody hour seeing all the devs excellent work skipped through.
-Reminded me of some exploits/bugs that should be fixed.

That said, I'd like to see a speedrun of GMDX. Between hardcore mode, tougher AI, tougher level design and numerous bug and exploit fixes, some sections speed runners would have extra challenge on their hands and have to play them out differently.
But again I wouldn't want to see the original devs and my own flash before my eyes :=/ I've always had a love/hate perspective on speedrunning.
Not many people are gonna exploit the game like that; the vast majority will play the game as it was intended. But then, the whole focus in Deus Ex is on having the player choose how to play, isn't it? Where do you draw the line between player choice and the restrictions placed by the developer?

Also, I think a degree of humility is required to appreciate this stuff, whether you put many hours of your life into playing or developing the game. I think the artist should accept that their work will be interpreted and used in many different ways, even some that they are against ideologically. If you can't see the funny side of Deus Ex there's something wrong with you, I think. Even the devs make fun of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTWvsGA77T4
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

kdawg88 wrote: Not many people are gonna exploit the game like that; the vast majority will play the game as it was intended. But then, the whole focus in Deus Ex is on having the player choose how to play, isn't it? Where do you draw the line between player choice and the restrictions placed by the developer?
There is no line, the player can do whatever he or she pleases within the rules of the game. I am just not much a fan of speedrunning for the aforementioned reasons, but if people want to speedrun DX I'm not going to try and stop them, and I am also aware my reasons on this topic aren't exactly worthwhile ones.
Also, I think a degree of humility is required to appreciate this stuff, whether you put many hours of your life into playing or developing the game. I think the artist should accept that their work will be interpreted and used in many different ways, even some that they are against ideologically.
As long as the majority play as intended, then sure. If Deus Ex was released and the only people who played it were speedrunners who never once read the text because right off the bat all they were interested in was the optimal path and finding exploits, and had their brightness ridiculously high as we see in that video, and so on, then I think the developers would have been a little upset, understandably. And yes, I am aware that all DX speedrunners have likely played the game as intended originally, I am just using them as an example for this particular point.
If you can't see the funny side of Deus Ex there's something wrong with you, I think. Even the devs make fun of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTWvsGA77T4
Deus Ex itself can be hilarious at times, but you are referring to speedrunning here specifically. No, the video had funny moments. Speed running itself requires much practice, finding the optimal path and the exploits, and trying over and over for the top time. I don't find that particularly funny. Somewhat interesting to see the rules bent in the final resulting video, yes, but not funny except the occassional moment.
This guy had clearly run through Deus Ex in this way multiple times before, I wonder if he can even play the game as intended ever again without using a single exploit.

Ah, interesting vid. I think I've seen that lecture before in it's entirety. Spector conceptualized the skill system, Smith refined and expanded upon it, I refined and expanded upon it further, next we need someone to come in and add additional branches to each tier :) just kidding, but it's still not perfect yet. Demolition skill and Environmental training need more work, but overall it is now arguably balanced.
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

Bump:

New run done at SGDQ 16 for those who have not seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAeU8zfqFVk

It's amazing how much faster this is than the previous run. Unfortunately not quite as funny as the above (imo) but still worth a watch.