Companion Guide

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Djibriel
Mole Person

Companion Guide

Post by Djibriel »

Hey guys,

I created an account because I wanted to share something with you. I made something. One, it's a kind of walkthrough. All the skill points, weapon mods, cutscenes and stuff. Nothing spectacular there, I guess, but I did find some new things I didn't find in other (older) walkthroughs, and I tried to combine all the best bits from several walkthroughs out there.

Second, more importantly I think, is that the document features a description of all kinds of references found in the game. From JC guessing 'xyzzy' and the significance of Anna Navarre's killphrase to the russian researcher that contracted his own virus and whatever 'metarphodopsin XII' is. Just Ctrl + F 'Notes: ' and you'll jump to all the relevant sections.

Finally, I've hosted a copy of the design document of the original team on my site; it's what the infamous DX Bible was based on. I didn't write that, obviously, but I figured I'd get the word out.

It's still a 0.9 version before I upload it to GameFAQs, so all feedback is appreciated! You can find both documents on my website:

http://tenchinohoukai.cavesofnarshe.com/
ggrotz
X-51

Re: Companion Guide

Post by ggrotz »

Reading your guide now . . . one quick note is the fire extinguishers are far from useless. If you get set on fire, they work to put yourself out. Or they're a good quick one-shot weapon with equivalent effects to the pepper spray when used in the same way on your enemies. Always good to carry at least one if you know the possibility is there to be set on fire and you can't find a water source quickly (don't know the maps well enough or don't have access to water).

I notice you need to look at your text a bit closer for events that you say will never happen. For instance "Login for both
the computer and security terminal is NSF/RIGHTEOUS, but you never learn that in-game." then later you say "If the male hostage makes it, he'll give you an NSF password 'righteous' when you talk to him." Kinda sorta metadata since it occurs after that point, but value when you do a second playthrough. The first statement is wrong in that you DO learn that in-game.

Undernet might be a reference to the (very old) IRC network of the same name.

Look at the beginning intro scene for your Aquinas reference and its significance:
Bob Page: We've had to endure much, you and I, but soon there will be order again, a new age. Aquinas spoke of the mythical City on the Hill. Soon that city will be a reality, and we will be crowned its kings. Or better than kings. Gods.

Good luck on getting past the search garbage generated by all the high schools with that name and Deus Ex itself to figure that reference out as that's all I get back no matter what I try. High school references and Deus Ex. Deus Ex and high school references.

In the fight at the hotel after sending the signal, if you're using an unpatched Deus Ex, it might be worth nothing that you get all your grenades taken from you but one of each type, so go crazy hanging them around. You can actually make the fight pretty easy if you know the right places to put them. And if you don't you can get close enough where you can shoot them and use them that way.

"Login is TALON/SKYEYE, but you can't obtain that information in-game." - yes you can. Check the breakable panel in Flight Control Deck #2 for that and a key to the lockers.

The second door in Xeng's hideout with the keypad will break as well.

"I'm not sure what MIS is supposed to stand for in this case." - Manager of Information Systems. Or Management Information Systems. Basically corporate computer stuff.

"I feel that this DataCube is filled with references I fail to understand, so input is most welcome." - regarding the datacube in the Monk's quarters...is this the one with the numbers and all that?

Riot Prod notes - "Sadly, the stun effect wears off when the target is hit by anything other than the Prod, so it is not advisable to draw a Combat Knife or Baton to finish the job." Disagree. Always single tap and you can take your time to finish the job. You can actually get a "stunned" bonus off of anything else you do. I've used this to great effect in dropping all the NSF non-lethally on Liberty Island. Tap with the prod, finish off with the baton.

Throwing knife notes - "In addition, you can make your Crossbow better and better, the Throwing Knives remain what they are; quite useless, actually." They are about as effective as the standard darts. But note the description: It's a master's weapon. To the head of an unaware or stunned opponent and they always go down. Incredibly useful if you upgrade low-tech and use them right, just like the crossbow is useful if you upgrade the pistol skill and use it right.

Done reading, very interesting at points. Only other thing is that you might want to spell-check the text very carefully.
Djibriel
Mole Person

Post by Djibriel »

@NSF/Righteous: I had not made the connection since you get that password in another level. Reworded for clarity.

@SkyEye: Hell, that panel is hidden! I had to blast a rocket in that room just to see it open. Great addition, thanks.

@Aquinas: I found the link between Aquinas and Page unclear, since Aquinas had so much to say on so many subjects. Thankfully, I eventually found this quote by Pacotti: "I intended that as a reference to the doctrine of Natural Law, the idea that human society, like the cosmos, is ordered by a divine intellect. In the context of Deus Ex, of course, that intellect comes in human form, as the enlightened Illuminatus or the renegade Illuminatus, Page. Natural Law was also used to justify the "divine right" of absolute monarchs."

@Xeng: I knew, but I failed to mention it. Added.

@DataCube: I mean this one:

Adept 34501,
Order of the Night Sky,
Third Rank:

Those Who Rule in Majesty, the Twelve, have set you to watch over this place
and record all that may happen so we may benefit from your observations, as
you may benefit from our wisdom.

You are entrusted with a Key to Sidon's Vault: 1942

You are entrused with a Key to the Fountain of Wisdom: 0022

You are entrusted with a Number and a Secret: 34501, 08711

You will guard all these things with Life and Soul, and do your
duty so that the Fourth Secret may find a place in your Heart.

XII

The significance of the year 1942 eludes me, I don't know why Sidon's Vault is a thing and if the 34501/08711 combo has any significance, it's lost on me. Of course it could all just be random, but most of the codes/names in DX have some kind of 'second' meaning.

@Single Tap: I am aware of the 300% damage bonus when hitting Stunned targets, but it's possible to Stun and strike in such a way that the follow-up strike will not kill the target. It's safer advice, I feel, to follow up a Prod hit with a Prod hit in those instances you failed to get the OHKO; there's plenty of charges from Liberty Island on.

@My Throwing Knives are set at 15 base damage, my Darts at 25. And while I never go anywhere without my Crossbow anyway, the TK's fill an extra inventory slot. The player would need extensive training in Low-Tech and/or activate Combat Strength for a TK to outperform a Dart. I like the animation, though.

Thanks for the input! I've compiled the text in Notepad++, which lacks spellcheck capabilities. I'll run in through Word in the near future, chapter by chapter to filter out as many typos and language errors (non-native speaker) as possible.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Djibriel wrote: @SkyEye: Hell, that panel is hidden! I had to blast a rocket in that room just to see it open. Great addition, thanks.
The sword or pistol will open it too with a little effort. But you have to know where to look in the room. There's another one like it in the other flight control deck. Seeing that makes me wonder if there's other datacubes that are hidden like that.
Djibriel wrote: It's safer advice, I feel, to follow up a Prod hit with a Prod hit in those instances you failed to get the OHKO; there's plenty of charges from Liberty Island on.
If you feel using the Prod again, always single tap each time to get the stun damage the second time, though. I find just emptying the prod doesn't have as much benefit.
CrocMagnum
NSF

Post by CrocMagnum »

Mmh, Djibriel ! The name rings a bell. I remember a humongus Final Fantasy 3 guide. A thorough piece of info about that game. I even posted an (unsuccesful) thread about it some years ago on Romhacking.net:

A clever intro to a very ambitious FF3 Faq: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=13957.0

On topic. In your guide you’re listing every Easter Egg, so maybe you could add one more:

Supposedly there’s a hidden Red DataCube in Château Duclare, in one of the bedrooms (Beth or Nicolette). To be honest I never found it, but still remember several knowledgable DX-fans mentioning it on a regular base.

EDIT: the red DataCube is a fake. Thanks ggrotz.
Last edited by CrocMagnum on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)
Djibriel
Mole Person

Post by Djibriel »

Well, that's me! The funny thing about that thread is, the guy who wrote that introduction (Imzogelmo) wrote that intro as a parody. It was supposed to make fun of those exactly the type of attitude it emulates, acting all high and mighty about your game, and by extension, yourself. He'll get a laugh out of that thread, thanks for bringing it up!

As for a Red DataCube, I've never heard about it. There is a hidden DataCube behind the bed in Beth's room, but it's not red.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Djibriel wrote:@SkyEye: Hell, that panel is hidden! I had to blast a rocket in that room just to see it open. Great addition, thanks.
Another thought I had. usually for a second playthrough I suggest a "no breaking and entering" one simply because all the keys and codes you absolutely need are in the game somewhere, and it helps someone learn the game that might have used lockpicks, multitools, or hacking to get by an essential plot part. Basically that's the rules, don't break anything. If it's locked and you find a key, use it, if it's a keypad and you have the code use it. If you find ATM login info, use it. But don't do anything at all that could be considered forcible robbery or access (use lockpicks, multitools, hack, or blow a door up). If you can't get in, you don't get in, basically.

If I remember right, that's how I eventually found that panel, because I was wanting into those lockers on that kind of playthrough.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Djibriel wrote:
Adept 34501,
Order of the Night Sky,
Third Rank:

Those Who Rule in Majesty, the Twelve, have set you to watch over this place
and record all that may happen so we may benefit from your observations, as
you may benefit from our wisdom.

You are entrusted with a Key to Sidon's Vault: 1942

You are entrused with a Key to the Fountain of Wisdom: 0022

You are entrusted with a Number and a Secret: 34501, 08711

You will guard all these things with Life and Soul, and do your
duty so that the Fourth Secret may find a place in your Heart.

XII

The significance of the year 1942 eludes me, I don't know why Sidon's Vault is a thing and if the 34501/08711 combo has any significance, it's lost on me. Of course it could all just be random, but most of the codes/names in DX have some kind of 'second' meaning.
Okay, let's take a crack at this and see if some explanations come (by all means if others are reading, let's discuss). I'll copy another thing which might help the discussion some:
Testament of Adept 34501

My name has been taken from me, a thing I need not anymore, and I have been christened Adept 34501. They have set me to keep a record of this place, to record a history of its comings and goings so that Those Who Rule might have the benefit of its knowledge...

... today saw the arrival of Agent Hermann. He is a simple thing, fitted to a dark purpose by forces he cannot understand. In a way, I feel pity for him -- an emotion that I know will prevent my advancement beyond the Third Rank -- but it is pity I feel nonetheless. He has spent most of his time below in the technology archive, staring at the ancient cross above his head. He burns with a hatred that I can feel, for himself and for someone else. Periodically he will receive holographic communications from Simons, after which his hatred burns all the brighter. I think it has burned away everything human in him, and only the metal holds him together anymore...

Adept 34501, Order of the Night Sky, Third Rank
1942 is the year that the Germans occupied France. Reference Nicolette's stories and Everett's explanation if you need any more details.

Sidon is a very old town known in the Bible from almost the earliest chapters and almost always connected with Tyre, which sets today in southern Lebanon. They were always historically traders, and very good architects and engineers, which made them both very attractive targets and very difficult targets (if you want to go find it, Ezekiel 28:1-5 describes this). I haven't studied Sidon as much as Tyre, but the sieges on Tyre are flat out super-interesting if you are into studying history. Anyhow, they ended up with incredible amounts of wealth, which is where the reference comes from. Again, a very secured vault of much gold, much like what you are finding in Deus Ex.

The number thing is a common science fiction trope, which is understandable given the testimony and the reason for the name - a breaking down of individual feeling and identity that must be part of the MIB psychological programming. Again searching gives much Deus Ex flotsam instead of any movie, tv, or other media references, so can't say I can help you there.

The "fountain of wisdom" (or wellspring of wisdom) is another Biblical reference phrase: "The words of a man's mouth are as deep waters, and the wellspring of wisdom as a flowing brook." (Proverbs 18:4 if you want to find that). Another way it's applied is "You are the eternal wellspring of wisdom, and I want to drink from the water of Your Word and be satisfied.". Remember you are dealing with The Knights Templar and you ARE at a cathedral, whose history is explained much in Deus Ex, which is obviously a religious/Christian sect. Obviously as you can see the ideas of the Illuminati expressed in the game (especially by Bob Page/JC Denton at the end), they come more to the desire to BE the supreme enlightened by their own methods instead of looking TO a supreme enlightened being. Simply put, it describes the only computer in the entire place quite well. A fountain of knowledge that the logged in user can drink from.

The Fourth Secret: They get this from the organization they're trying to portray. They have levels or ranks that members move up in, which leads to more and more knowledge or "secrets" about the organization. 34501 says it herself in the journal, it's a reflection of rank - Fourth Secret = Fourth Rank.

Hope that helps you out.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

CrocMagnum wrote: Supposedly there’s a hidden Red DataCube in Château Duclare, in one of the bedrooms (Beth or Nicolette). To be honest I never found it, but still remember several knowledgable DX-fans mentioning it on a regular base.
This sounds like a hoax that a lot of people make up in different games to try to screw with people (I remember these from way back in 1992). If this was a universal thing (meaning something someone didn't make as a mod), don't you think a video of it would be up on youtube somewhere, especially in this day and age?
Djibriel
Mole Person

Post by Djibriel »

Thanks for your thoughts!

Half of France (including Paris) was occupied in 1940 and remained so 'til 1944. Of course, lots of stuff happened in 1942 as well (massive roundup of Jews is Paris, for instance), but I see no relation to DX or the cathedral.

I threw Sidon into Google to see what came up, and it came up as a city in Lebanon, like you said. Prosperous in the past and under temporary Templar influence. But plenty of cities have been doing well at some point in the past, and the Templar influence stretched far and wide so I felt the link was too weak. Maybe it's just an extension of the fact that 'Master of Tyre' is a rank in DX' Illuminati, but I wouldn't be surprised if Illuminatus! or a book like that featured Sidon in some way.

Good note on the Fountain of Wisdom, I'll add that.
CrocMagnum
NSF

Post by CrocMagnum »

ggrotz wrote:
CrocMagnum wrote: Supposedly there’s a hidden Red DataCube in Château Duclare, in one of the bedrooms (Beth or Nicolette). To be honest I never found it, but still remember several knowledgable DX-fans mentioning it on a regular base.
This sounds like a hoax that a lot of people make up in different games to try to screw with people (I remember these from way back in 1992). If this was a universal thing (meaning something someone didn't make as a mod), don't you think a video of it would be up on youtube somewhere, especially in this day and age?
You have a point. Many thanks for the clarification, ggrotz. I mean I've been looking for this Red DataCube for years... :mrgreen:
Djibriel wrote:Well, that's me! The funny thing about that thread is, the guy who wrote that introduction (Imzogelmo) wrote that intro as a parody. It was supposed to make fun of those exactly the type of attitude it emulates, acting all high and mighty about your game, and by extension, yourself. He'll get a laugh out of that thread, thanks for bringing it up!...
Man, this is brilliant. I remember that intro had great flair, but to my shame I took it litterally and didn't notice the deadpan sense of humour at all. I bet that's why my thread at Romhacking.net was so unsuccessul, maybe they took it litterally too. :mrgreen:

Anyway forget about the fake Red DataCube. You could add two things in your guide:

Grenade Climbing

If you’re really into Deus Ex, you should talk about Grenade Climbing. It is a devious way to attain unreachable areas. You do it by clinging a grenade (Lam, EMP, Gas,...) onto a wall, then hop on it. Then you cling another grenade higher up, hop on it and repeat the process till you reach your goal. Here's a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N2fqCQ32SE

The Max Chen Easter Egg

To put it short you need to reach the top of a building in Hong Kong and there you'll meet Max Chen (the Red Arrow leader). I only learned about it here on the OTP boards. You can reach that area by Grenade Climbing. Here is a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO3wWaci5oU
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Djibriel wrote: Half of France (including Paris) was occupied in 1940 and remained so 'til 1944. Of course, lots of stuff happened in 1942 as well (massive roundup of Jews is Paris, for instance), but I see no relation to DX or the cathedral.
France was a client state just going along with Germany's wishes (basically "we'll leave you be, as long as you help us out when we ask") until 1942 and then was taken over completely as a puppet state then (basically because the French really didn't comply). 1942 is when the German army took complete and total control of France. Look up "Vichy France". I dug a little more for other stuff and found out the cathedral itself was probably modeled after the Troyes Cathedral (of course not exactly, as I've seen the Statue of Liberty map is "not exactly" either with my own eyes) which has a significant Templar history as the real group was founded there. Troyes is in northern France, which answers to Vichy France, again.
Djibriel wrote: I threw Sidon into Google to see what came up, and it came up as a city in Lebanon, like you said. Prosperous in the past and under temporary Templar influence. But plenty of cities have been doing well at some point in the past, and the Templar influence stretched far and wide so I felt the link was too weak.
Also the seat of alternative/pagan religion in that area outside of Babylon, which is one of the reasons (the significantly high value of the conquests made by so many groups is what I focused on before, why "Sidon's Vault") why the pair of Sidon and Tyre answer in so many places in history. The Phoenicians were major purveyors of the alternative pagan religion in that area. To go back to what is written in the Bible, Jezebel was a Sidonian. The linkage is quite significant in both the religious Illuminati elements and in the elements you mentioned as what is portrayed in both the Illuminati and MJ12 is literally this pagan religion as it has been Christianized.

But since these are just simple references in Deus Ex, you're going to have to dig a bit yourself and figure these things out. I'm telling you where to begin looking. Deus Ex won't sledgehammer you with these things, so you'll just have to figure out something you can accept and move on.