A question about the DX10 renderer

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Gentlemenace
Mole Person

A question about the DX10 renderer

Post by Gentlemenace »

Hello there! Long time Deus Ex fan and lurker to these forums here. In a fit of rage over my latest installation of Deus Ex I've finally decided to register properly on these forums seeking some help. :D

Introductions aside here's my question. Is it normal for this particular renderer to be so demanding? I rarely ever see complaints about performance issues with this renderer but I've been pulling my hair out for ages every time I play Deus Ex over the amount of lag I get on a laptop with an Intel Core i7-4700MQ and a Geforce GT 755M. Games like Far Cry 3 in near Very High settings, no problem. Deus Ex, Lagmaster 9000: The Revengeance. While it's definitely still playable comparing the performance to the the buttery smoothness of the OpenGL renderer leaves much to be desired. I mean are my specs really not capable of it? I've tried just about everything to fix this issue but have had no luck so a second opinion would be greatly appreciated!
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Re: A question about the DX10 renderer

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

The DX10 renderer is a bit suboptimal when it comes to performance. I measured a 40% drop in FPS with it compared to D3D9 when testing a level in Revision. During normal vanilla play I doubt the drop to be so dramatic, but there is still a performance issue lingering. The renderer also bugs a bit with certain nVidia cards, making some surfaces black or flickering. And there is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fne13-L ... e=youtu.be

Just switch to D3D9 instead.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Gentlemenace
Mole Person

Post by Gentlemenace »

What a shame. Considering how often Kentie updates his launcher I was hoping his renderer would get the same treatment. Seems like my Nvidia card is one of the ones affected by all these graphical artifacting bugs and in combination with the noticeable performance drop it makes for a very unpolished feeling mess. So I'm guessing this then means that the only way then to get HDR lighting is to use ENBSeries with DX9, right?

Also have you tried experimenting with the the new multi-core utilization option in the latest build of Deus Exe. It seems stable but I'm not sure if the option even works. During my attempts to alleviate my performance problems I manually went to the exe properties using task manager and found it was still utilizing only a single core. Though, maybe that has to do with the fact that I'm running the GOG version? Either way performance was identical. :-k

EDIT: Last question. I can' remember, is the DX9 renderer even compatible with New Vision? I'm kind of drawing a blank here.

EDIT 2: #-o Ok, so it seems that for some strange reason my OEM found it appropriate to preinstall some possibly modified Visual C++ runtimes on my computer. Removing them and reinstalling all of them from scratch using Microsoft's official releases seems to have to done the trick. My eight month headache over performance is finally over! :D Regardless thanks for the help.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Well personally I found the HDR stuff to be not that great, and ENBseries just looks weird. I guess it's hard for Kentie to debug and troubleshoot all this, he would need access to other hardware where he can try stuff out and find out why it's causing issues.

Through some testing I and Kentie has found out that multi-core option does work on everything except when playing the quotes at the end of the credits. The game is not really multithreaded per sé so the main game is run on one thread, however there are a number of other threads running as well, some related to playing sounds and rendering the frames on the screen. Most of the rendering still takes place on the main thread as much of the rendering is done on the CPU, but the last part of pushing the frame out to the renderer so it can be displayed on screen, that's a separate thread.

So even if it might not do a lot of difference using multi-core it does help a little since those other threads can run somewhere else freeing up one core for the main thread.

And yes, both the enhanced OpenGL and the D3D9 renderers offer support for S3TC compression, used for New Vision.
Gentlemenace
Mole Person

Post by Gentlemenace »

Really? And I had always assumed that the screenshots for Revision had the HDR lighting turned on. In all honesty the effect is a bit hit or miss and ENB is just... BLEH! but I like the effect enough I can stand the occasionally strange lighting it provides in return for some genuinely awesome looking scenes. It also makes the light aug much more useful. :P
It can really have a drastic effect on the game's look . Sometimes it almost makes you feel like you're playing a new game but then again that's what Revision is for right? ;)
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I have never had an issue with the DX10. :/
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Gentlemenace wrote:Really? And I had always assumed that the screenshots for Revision had the HDR lighting turned on. In all honesty the effect is a bit hit or miss and ENB is just... BLEH! but I like the effect enough I can stand the occasionally strange lighting it provides in return for some genuinely awesome looking scenes. It also makes the light aug much more useful. :P
It can really have a drastic effect on the game's look . Sometimes it almost makes you feel like you're playing a new game but then again that's what Revision is for right? ;)
Took a few days to figure out, but I think we used to Direct3D9 renderer (and not the ENB one). That means no HDR lighting, but I have it confirmed that our graphic artist did do some photoshopping to make them look better by counterbalancing the shadows without altering the contrast too much.

I feel like the HDR can be a bit hit or miss as well, sometimes it looks awesome and other times it's just too dark and gloomy, at least with some of our maps.