The Deus Exes that never were

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jaedar
Illuminati

The Deus Exes that never were

Post by Jaedar »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... ex-sequels

Reading this now, should be interesting.

Edit: It was, but not a lot to say about it except for the fact that dx3 sounds like it would have been really cool.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: The Deus Exes that never were

Post by Jonas »

Stumbled upon this yesterday.

I liked the sound of Insurrection, but Jordan Thomas's version of Deus Ex 3 sounded way too ambitious and experimental. That's kind of in the vein of the original game, but I seriously doubt it's what the community needed after Invisible War.

I'm surprised to hear Ion Storm Austin described as a cult of personality. They always seemed to have a very intellectual approach to game development, rather than a charisma-based approach, but on the other hand when you gather a bunch of highly accomplished designers under one roof, each of whom has extremely strong opinions on game design, I can see how you would end up with a bit of an ego problem.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Interesting reading. the Deus Ex: Insurrection - 2003 to 2004 part mentioned Moscow and London as two locations in the game. I read some articles just before Invisible War was released and they mentioned the player going to these two locations in IW, but they never ended up as locations in the game, so maybe they were held of for Insurrection which never came to be.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

Jonas wrote:
I'm surprised to hear Ion Storm Austin described as a cult of personality. They always seemed to have a very intellectual approach to game development, rather than a charisma-based approach, but on the other hand when you gather a bunch of highly accomplished designers under one roof, each of whom has extremely strong opinions on game design, I can see how you would end up with a bit of an ego problem.
Yeah that does sound funny to me. The way Spector and Smith were talking about the development it seemed like they were all on pretty reasonable, level terms. Having said that things probably changed over time, especially following IW.