Deus Ex, Steam, and You: THEY KINDA WORK TOGETHER

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

AustinYQM
Mole Person

Re: Deus Ex, Steam, and You: THEY KINDA WORK TOGETHER

Post by AustinYQM »

That worked splendidly. Thank you so much!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You're welcome. Hope you'll enjoy the game!
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
NoxDeleo
Mole Person

Post by NoxDeleo »

Sorry to bump a slightly stale thread, but for HotelCarone and Steam I just created a shortcut with this target:
"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 6910 ini="C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\deus ex\HotelCarone\System\hotelcarone.ini" log=HotelCarone.log

It launches Deus Ex through Steam, and loads the mod just fine. I don't know if a similar sort of thing can be done for mods with custom .exe's (new Win7 system, and i've got none downloaded to try). I guess it depends if the necessary paths etc. are stored in a custom .ini like this one? I'll know when I go for another TNM playthrough this weekend :D.
Boltersdriveer
UNATCO

Post by Boltersdriveer »

NoxDeleo wrote:Sorry to bump a slightly stale thread, but for HotelCarone and Steam I just created a shortcut with this target:
"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 6910 ini="C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\deus ex\HotelCarone\System\hotelcarone.ini" log=HotelCarone.log

It launches Deus Ex through Steam, and loads the mod just fine. I don't know if a similar sort of thing can be done for mods with custom .exe's (new Win7 system, and i've got none downloaded to try). I guess it depends if the necessary paths etc. are stored in a custom .ini like this one? I'll know when I go for another TNM playthrough this weekend :D.
Yes, it should work. Otherwise, if you're an idiot( which i doubt so ) , you can just backup your whole DX folder and then COPY the whole "hotelcarone" into your DX Folder. E.g: copy this:

Code: Select all

:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\deus ex\HotelCarone\
into this:

Code: Select all

:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\deus ex/
Also, thank goodness you posted this :O
Rain
Thug

Post by Rain »

Hey, just wanted to let you know I got the Ultra High Quality Mod working perfectly.
It just involves a little renaming. Not that I want to spam this place with a huge block of text, but... I'm trying to make it as simple and easy to understand as possible. Here's the method I used to get it working.

1.Download the Ultra High Quality Mod.
http://www.helderpinto.com/blog/persona ... d-v01.html
Unzip the archive.

2.Install HDTP-Release1 to your Steam Deus Ex folder, located at C:/Program Files (or Program Files (x86))/Steam/steamapps/common/deus ex.
IMPORTANT! Make sure to run Deus Ex at least once before you install. Otherwise, it won't work.

3.Open the "DeusEx Ultra High Quality Mod Files" folder and drag the contents into deus ex/System. Overwrite if it asks.

4.Open your deus ex/System folder and make a copy of HDTP.exe. Rename it to DeusEx, replacing the original.

5.Open HDTP.ini and scroll down to the bottom of the [Engine.Engine] section. Replace the "CdPath=J" line with "CdPath=..\GOTY_1".

6.Rename HDTP.ini to DeusEx, again replacing the existing one.

That's it. Start up Deus Ex through Steam and you should see the bloom effects, the game should also start at a higher resolution. Toggle the effects at any time by pressing Shift+F12. Of course, it's advisable to change your menu color scheme to something that won't blind you. Enjoy one of the finest games ever made, now with a nice little graphical facelift!
Himmelgeher
Mole Person

Post by Himmelgeher »

Umm... mods work fine for me. Well, okay, I've only tried TNM and Project Cassandra, and for some reason I have to be signed out of Steam, but they work.
Rain
Thug

Post by Rain »

I was having a lot of problems - "failed to find Steam" errors or simply not starting DX at all - until I replaced Steam's executable with the disc version. So yes... definitely a good idea to do that.
elias444
Mole Person

Post by elias444 »

so basically i extract the deus ex.exe file from the patch and rename it TNM? im confused
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

elias444 wrote:so basically i extract the deus ex.exe file from the patch and rename it TNM? im confused
Yes.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
boct1584
Thug

Post by boct1584 »

I just picked up DX and IW for $5 total as part of Steam's summer sale, due to my physical copy of DX wandering off. A question.

Master_Kale says that most mods make a copy of DeusEx.exe when they install; among these are Zodiac and TNM. If this is the case, why isn't it possible to just replace the Steam exe with the retail exe and install the mod as normal? Why do you need to go to the extra trouble of manually replacing the exe the mod creates with a fresh retail copy?
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I think the reason for this is that the steam exe does not accept the same parameters as the normal exe does. Therefore rendering the copy useless.
boct1584
Thug

Post by boct1584 »

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I know that the Steam version of DeusEx.exe won't work when a mod copies it. What I'm asking is, "Once you've replaced the Steam version with the retail version, shouldn't that be the end of it? Why would you need to then replace the .exes a mod creates with a fresh retail copy?"
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

If you replace the steam exe before installing mods, then yes that would be the end of it. The mod installer will then copy the right executable as TNM.exe (for example). However, if the steam exe is already copied, the mod will not re-copy the file. So you'll have to manually replace it or re-install the mod. I don't think there's anything else to it than just that.

So yes, you are correct: First replace the steam exe, then install the mods as normal and it should work just fine.
james969
Mole Person

Post by james969 »

Afraid im one of the afore-mentioned new comers, but im just discovering all these mods now so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trying to install the zodiac mod, downloaded the 1.112fm patch or whatever it is but the desktop shortcut still cant find its target. I tried simply copying and pasting the exe from the normal game into the zodiac folder but that yields a result of '...failed to start because windows.dll was not found'

I've never installed a mod before so all this stuff is massively new to me!

I should mention that after i install the zmod, there is no exe anywhere in the installation directory
alice
Mole Person

Post by alice »