Places you can fuckup your game in Deus Ex.

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Hanfling
MJ12

Places you can fuckup your game in Deus Ex.

Post by Hanfling »

I noticed some time ago, that you can fail in training when you turn away when using the lockpicks and multitools. Probably the same happens when you shoot bullets everywhere during combat training but not onto the targets.

Maybe scuttling the freighter can also fail.

Do you know any more of these things?
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
Made in China
MJ12

Re: Places you can fuckup your game in Deus Ex.

Post by Made in China »

Well, I'd say that in the main game you probably can't fuck up too much. They've designed around that, so everything pivotal is accessed by either a computer, a code or a dialogue - and in all of which you are blocked only by your own knowledge, but thank God the internet for that.

Regarding the "turning away when multitooling/lockpicking", yeah, that's a serious flaw in the game. It can force you to go combat when you're playing stealth just because it destroys an item instead of cancelling the action.
Actually, it's far more devastating in TNM. There are many, many occasions there that will lead to a broken game (excluding cheats of course) if you aren't careful with your picks or multitools.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Hmm, should be an easy fix.
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

Stumbled across a steam thread. Apparently players manage to drop guns onto the range in Training.
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

This shouldn't be possible in vanilla Deus Ex, as weapons are dropped straight downwards.
This is probably the cause of Shifter or another gameplay mod which allows to throw horizontally basically everything.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Made in China wrote:This shouldn't be possible in vanilla Deus Ex, as weapons are dropped straight downwards.
Middle mouse button throws forward, dropping via inventory drops downward.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Made in China wrote:Actually, it's far more devastating in TNM. There are many, many occasions there that will lead to a broken game (excluding cheats of course) if you aren't careful with your picks or multitools.
Like what?

Not that it'll be fixed at this point, obviously, but I'd be curious to know what we missed :)

Only one I can think of off the top of my head is placing the spyware. Generally we tried to place nanokeys or keypad codes for doors that you had to enter. We even added that feature where characters drop their items if you gib them, so you can't paint yourself into a corner by gibbing a character that's carrying a nanokey you might need.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

IIRC, it could be an issue in the OSC and in ABI interior. It's been a while since I played, but there were a couple of places where I could get stuck if I ran out of lockpicks.

Also, PATCH 1.0.5 CONFIRMED. (good luck with finishing Clandestine)
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Jonas wrote:We even added that feature where characters drop their items if you gib them, so you can't paint yourself into a corner by gibbing a character that's carrying a nanokey you might need.
More like blow their items everywhere. I actually had a game get fucked up (*) for gibbing Endar. Of course, killing Deus Diablo (Worldcorp side) always has the risk of getting lit on fire when his Molotov's finally land. Not to mention the numerous times I've gotten hit by the LAMs and EMPs of gibbed characters.

(*) - of course, about five minutes of flying about the hangar yielded the key wedged up high in one of the pillars rendered into the map.

Main point: Gib things in TNM - your mileage may vary.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hahahah, that's pretty funny though. But yeah, maybe not great.

Man I wish we'd been able to put out 1.0.5. I had a lot of cool shit in there :P

Ah well.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
medzernik
NSF

Post by medzernik »

Jonas wrote:Hahahah, that's pretty funny though. But yeah, maybe not great.

Man I wish we'd been able to put out 1.0.5. I had a lot of cool shit in there :P

Ah well.
Can't you put it out? I would love to have a different TNM experience once more, I played it like 15 times now :D
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

In Vandenberg Sub, you can fuck up the game by pressing the elevator button and stepping out of it. The same might apply for Oceanlab Lab.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

medzernik wrote:Can't you put it out? I would love to have a different TNM experience once more, I played it like 15 times now :D
Nah it doesn't really work. We tried to implement full HDTP support in it as well as all the other changes and improvements, but we never pulled it off. In order to release 1.0.5 we would either have to finish implementing HDTP (a lot of work) or undo the changes related to that attempt (a slightly smaller but still substantial amount of work). As it stands, it just kinda fucks up a lot of things.

Also it has no installer. Trestkon was the only person who knew how to make those. At this point it'd be a miracle if he even still has the files.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

We have full HDTP support implemented albeit via Shifter's facelift system and I have the original src for the TNM installer that Trestkon sent me way back, last modified 2009-12-02.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.