Deus Ex Revision is 2 days away

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Epifols
Thug

Re: Deus Ex Revision is 2 days away

Post by Epifols »

I am completely flabbergasted by the situation. People getting so upset over a free mod makes it seem like gamers have gotten very spoiled.

And the comments about clutter blow my mind. Have you people seen DXHR or trailers for DXMD?
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

You know, maybe I actually should try getting DXN on Steam just out of spite. And fill up all the levels with all sorts of new decals, all of them with the item description "Does this bug you?".

That'd be my... funny prank. :]
DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

Epifols wrote:I am completely flabbergasted by the situation. People getting so upset over a free mod makes it seem like gamers have gotten very spoiled.

And the comments about clutter blow my mind. Have you people seen DXHR or trailers for DXMD?
It's technically not free if you have a copy not on Steam, though workarounds do exist. In any case, free does not automatically mean good.

Yes, I did see HR levels and MD gameplay trailers and I dislike the clutter there too. I much prefer clean object placement with just enough put to make a place believable without confusing players.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Epifols wrote:I am completely flabbergasted by the situation. People getting so upset over a free mod makes it seem like gamers have gotten very spoiled.
If anything, the Deus Ex: Revision situation proved that in the end even the Deus Ex community is basically the same entitled garbage as the other game communities. A sad ending to a fine journey.

Such is life. :]
DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

Can we go back to talking about the mod itself and not drama that has been blown out of proportion? I'm sick of it and people throwing insults and labelling each other for having different opinions.

Speaking of which, here's the best video I've found on the mod so far: http://youtu.be/J0jeWSSI_sM.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Wow, just saw a minute or so of that video. How about actually using the default settings and not switching to D3D10 with horrible lighting? And not having New Vision turned off? It's like making a painting and then have someone go in and look at it with anaglyph 3D glasses and complaining about how bad it looks. Well no wonder if you have a crap filter in front of it.

Couldn't even be bothered to watch the rest if it starts off like that.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

He doesn't like New Vision or HDTP, so he will have them turned off. He did try with all the other renders, including the default D3D9 render supplied and it still looks like that. So it's not really his fault.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Well they are not optional, they are part of the experience. If you want to judge the experience you do that as a whole, if you start picking stuff apart its not the thing we imagined. We picked and adjusted certain textures and meshes because of how they look in NV and HDTP. So that renders at least all of the "lighting is weird, textures & characters look bad" invalid.
DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

This is primarily a level design mod, so having a texture and model pack active should not affect the mod that much as you insist. As such, I can see that the overdone yellow lighting is in the screenshots put up on ModDB too, so the criticism of the lighting isn't invalid.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Yes, but it's all about the final experience.

This is for instance a render comparison between D3D9 that the mod was developed with (top), D3D10 with ClassicLighting=True (mid) and the bottom D3D10 with ClassicLighting=False. We intended people to experience it like it's at the top, with a brightness of 0.5. About the yellow lamps, you've never seen sodium lamps?
mKaelus
Thug

Post by mKaelus »

Thats so 2052 right?
DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

There's not a big difference between the first two images. Just compare them side by side.

Image Image

I'm pretty sure he also had classic lighting of D3D10 turned on.

The problem is not in the realism, the problem is how it makes the whole level look monochromatic and so it becomes hard for details and scenery to stand out. To be fair, the original level was a bit guilty of this too, except with a different colour, greyish blue. I do think the mod overdid it beyond the original level.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

You worry way too much about Internet video makers' subjective opinions, bjorn98009_91 :P

And don't forget that the death of the author is always in effect, so "this is how we intended" won't get past "yeah but this is what I think" or its worse (prominently) Internet counterpart "yeah but this is what I think and so should everyone else 8F".
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

I'm pretty sure he had ClassicLighting off, as it looks as the bottom picture. And sure it's not a big difference between the d3d9 and d3d10 with ClassicLighting=true, D3D9 version has a bit more contrast. Anyway, that's what we wanted anyway.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

I can confirm bjorn's claims about D3D10 looking darker and therefore more bland. UE1.5 just wasn't designed to handle advanced lighting, and I'm guessing New Vision like Deus Ex was designed to use the original render.
And it's not about subjectively experiencing the game. I can say something is pretty or ugly and it'll be subjective. The objective fact is that with advanced lighting the game becomes darker overall, which affects the definition of colors. Even if you up the gamma, you'll just have a brighter version of a blander palette.

Personally, I think the OpenGL render works the best, but mileage may vary. This is Deus Ex, experiment! It's part of the whole experience.