Deus Ex Revision is 2 days away

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

DevAnj
UNATCO

Re: Deus Ex Revision is 2 days away

Post by DevAnj »

Made in China wrote:I can confirm bjorn's claims about D3D10 looking darker and therefore more bland. UE1.5 just wasn't designed to handle advanced lighting, and I'm guessing New Vision like Deus Ex was designed to use the original render.
I'm pretty sure the photo with D3D9 was darker actually, and Bjorn said D3D9 had more contrast which makes sense.
Anyway, correct render or not, some mods being activated or not, I think he has good criticism of the level design, which is why I posted it here.

Also he didn't have ClassicLighting turned off, here's a comparison between the bottom shot and a shot from his video. Of course, Youtube does change how something looks:

DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

Jonas wrote:A bunch of guys decided to put a shitload of work into something, and then they decided they'd release it on Steam and nowhere else - their prerogative.
I really hate to dig up this Steam argument again, but no, it wasn't their prerogative, Square Enix had ordered them to make it Steam exclusive. Here's a comment made by Bjorn on ModDB:
No, of course I won't. I'm just very annoyed and extremely tired. Like we enjoy screwing with people and we so this Steam only thing cause we are jerks. No, Square Enix requested that we should be steam exclusive so that's what we are doing. There is a reason for the files being hosted here but with the DRM.
Back to talking about the actual mod now.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Quite sure it'd have been more along the lines of "if you want to get your mod on Steam, it has to be Steam exclusive" rather than "Steam exclusive or no mod at all!". Once again, it was their final decision to get it released on Steam and as Jonas' original post states: they still don't owe you anything.

I, on the other hand, would have made DXN a Steam exclusive mod purely out of SPITE to those complaining about DXREV's Steam issue. But as mentioned before, DXN is totally unprofessional to be featured on Steam so they've wisely ignored my Tweet. :]
DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

FastGamerr wrote:Quite sure it'd have been more along the lines of "if you want to get your mod on Steam, it has to be Steam exclusive" rather than "Steam exclusive or no mod at all!". Once again, it was their final decision to get it released on Steam and as Jonas' original post states: they still don't owe you anything.
My post had nothing to do with the Revision team owing me anything, I was pointing out that the Steam exclusivity was due to factors out of their control.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

You can do it. We're all counting on you.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

WARNING - swearing up ahead + most of this may piss you off alot.

So, I'm just going to give my honest opinion, and filter out all the "ugh steam only 1/100 dickheads" shit.
I'll admit, I wasn't very hyped for this, and was convinced this was dead. This took 7 fucking years to make, and I wasn't happy about that. Nevertheless, I also admit that this mod is actually really impressive. They put alot of heart into the new level design adding some decorative objects and fancy textures. I kinda feel bad for them, considering how much Revision pushed Unreal Engine 1, dealing with the shit ton of lag to go with it. But the soundtrack was very boring and uninspired. There were only 3 tracks I liked, which were Smugglers den, Credits and Deus Ex dance mix. They pretty much ruined the Area 51 bunker music, which was a pretty stupid mistake on there part. Considering this is supposed to be a remake, then how come it doesn't run on something like Unreal Engine 2, or hell even UE3? As for gameplay changes, there are next to none. I could never find how to use Shifter or Biomod with it. GMDX would go perfectly with Revision, but I doubt GMDX would be that low. There are no sound differences I could find. HDTP, while impressive, IMO looks very bad, especially the UNATCO troops (I liked the black eyes on the original texture). If you compare the quality of Revision and TNM, the answer would be pretty obvious - TNM. They had the same amount of development time, and were created by equally matched modders. The Nameless Mod was much more polished at release then this. And the AI is literally broken. Care to explain, quality assurance?
All in all, Revision was a good opportunity that slightly went to waste, with an unpolished release and a frustrating steam only release.
Last edited by Bogie on Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trasher
UNATCO

Post by Trasher »

Dear god.

New soundtrack is optional. If you don't like it - turn it off and you get the original. It's a matter of one's opinion. Some people love it, some hate it.
As for gameplay changes, there are next to none. I could never find how to use Shifter or Biomod with it.
You can swap to Shifter or Biomod anytime you want from the in-game options.
Considering this is supposed to be a remake, then how come it doesn't run on something like Unreal Engine 2, or hell even UE3?
It's not a remake. Where do you see it advertised as a remake? The whole idea of the project is to give Deus Ex veterans another fresh playthrough and it even managed to bring new players to Deus Ex.
Porting Deus Ex to another engine is a fuck ton work and you'd run into legal issues. There was a project a long long time ago that attempted to port it over to Unreal Engine 2 - but it died. :-( DeusEx Reborn

If you want a remake with a fancy new engine, wait for SE to make one.

TNM. They had the same amount of development time, and were created by equally matched modders.
Don't talk shit. Did TNM have one level designer to work out all of the levels? No, they did not. TNM Credits and while you're checking the list how about you take a closer look at the amount of people they had compared to Revision. By no means I'm not saying TNM had a large team, no.
And the AI is literally broken. Care to explain, quality assurance?
Ah, mKaelus's video. Here we have another clown who doesn't know a goddamn crap about anything and you believe everything you find on the web. O well.

Allow me to explain something. We haven't altered the AI in Revision. Realistic has always been very hard in the original and so it is on Revision. Also, Revision is running on HuRen's DeusEx.u with a few custom features we've built in which are not AI related. See HuRen's change log, it's here somewhere on this forum.

And here's the Combat difficulty explained:

CombatDifficulty is a multiplier vanilla used to to scale various things within the game, like something takes more damage on realistic since combatDifficutly for Realistic=4.0.

Unreal also had a filtering system based on the unreal difficulty variable. That's just called Difficulty and ranges from 0 to 3. What vanilla tried to do was to simply convert CombatDifficulty that is a decimal number to a whole number. And also Björn getting pissed that they(original devs) didn't fix this at launch since it's so damn trivial to fix. Then when you convert 1.5 that is for medium it is rounded to 2. Also 4.0 is not on the Unreal difficulty scale so that is broken as well. What Björn did was simply to convert the combatDifficulty numbers to the Unreal Difficulty numbers.
Last edited by Trasher on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

Trasher wrote: Allow me to explain something. We haven't altered the AI in Revision. Realistic has always been very hard in the original and so it is on Revision.
I definitely don't remember the AI in Realistic always going for headshots all the time though. Also since you're basically altering the base levels to change their design while keeping the same story and progression, it is technically a remake, not a full blown one but still a remake on the Unreal Engine.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

Alright, so I should've done my research, and I apologize greatly for any harsh comments.
Trasher
UNATCO

Post by Trasher »

They don't always hit you on the head. One shot has pretty much always been fatal on realistic in Deus Ex. They shoot you on the leg, what happens? You lose your leg. Same applies to every other part of your body. Happens with sniper mostly. For pistols it's the same but not as fatal.

Above is an image of the NSF Terrorist in Liberty Island. Note that not all bAimForHead is set to target player's head. It's usually the snipers that aim for head.
Bogie wrote:Alright, so I should've done my research, and I apologize greatly for any harsh comments.
That's alright man. I'm just annoyed that there are certain drama queens here who spread wild rumors and bullshit stories and yet so many people believe them.

As for Revision, it's not perfect I'm aware of that. There's a whole lot of room for an improvement. We do have plans to revisit the first quarter of the game and do some more changes there that quite a few people want. As well as bringing new HD decos that were not done by HDTP, but we'll talk about that later.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

Other then the character models, everything else in HDTP is amazing.
DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

Trasher wrote:There's a whole lot of room for an improvement. We do have plans to revisit the first quarter of the game and do some more changes there that quite a few people want.
If you want to improve on the mod, start by adapting the design philosophy of the Ion Storm team when you make your additions to the levels. That alone would reduce the problems in your remade levels by a lot.
Trasher
UNATCO

Post by Trasher »

There's already a debate on our steam discussion forum. If you have some ideas or suggestions - you're always welcome to share them with the other people. ;)
mKaelus
Thug

Post by mKaelus »

Trasher wrote:Ah, mKaelus's video. Here we have another clown
Tsk tsk
mKaelus
Thug

Post by mKaelus »

Trasher wrote: Above is an image of the NSF Terrorist in Liberty Island. Note that not all bAimForHead is set to target player's head. It's usually the snipers that aim for head.
https://my.mixtape.moe/etdmij.jpg
https://my.mixtape.moe/awhkxc.jpg
https://my.mixtape.moe/yqxsgs.jpg
https://my.mixtape.moe/onftpv.jpg
https://my.mixtape.moe/gpbaam.jpg
https://my.mixtape.moe/lhwmqd.jpg
https://my.mixtape.moe/rwnyor.jpg
webm
https://my.mixtape.moe/jztlsj.webm

All on easy.

You really suck at lying.

Edit:
https://my.mixtape.moe/nxatqy.jpg
https://my.mixtape.moe/uyyzkq.jpg

Not even snipers in vanilla had the aim for the head option.
You are just editing stuff for the sake of editing stuff, stuff that not even the main Devs themselves wanted to use.