GMDX v8.0 Release Date Revealed

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jaedar
Illuminati

Re: GMDX v8.0 Release Date Revealed

Post by Jaedar »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Run into problems so part 7 has been delayed, but the good news is I've finally got an artist. First thing made is a helmet, so now we can shoot helmets off of heads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rir9R_t ... e=youtu.be
So your plan of, "first you get the fame, then you get the teammembers" worked? :)
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Jaedar wrote: So your plan of, "first you get the fame, then you get the teammembers" worked? :)
Seems so! Still not got the fame but these videos plus the voice actor has helped get my vision out there and ever so slightly raise awareness. Because having it all detailed on the website wasn't enough :/
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

What is your grand vision, by the way? I mean, completely disregarding real world issues and if you didn't have anything stops?
Because I think that if you set a list of goals and break down your vision into individual missions, as it might be plausible for someone to help you, or integrate your vision into their mod, or offshoot from you to create something totally unexpected.

On the helmets, cool. Reminds me of Metal Gear Solid shenanigans.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

That's pretty cool. How about being able to wear the helmets, for extra head protection?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Bogie wrote:That's pretty cool. How about being able to wear the helmets, for extra head protection?
Yeah, I've already thought about it, and may do so.
Made in China wrote:What is your grand vision, by the way?
The fulfillment of Deus Ex's design potential, at least in everything except the narrative. I'm no writer and even if I were I'm not sure if there's anything story-wise that should be changed.

Something I've desired for a very long time, but haven't seen since Deus Ex (and Arx) itself: the progression of Looking Glass-styled game design. Dishonored, Human Revolution, Bioshock and Invisible War was not exactly what I had in mind, nor would it be for anyone who recognizes the significance of the classics and the potential of the genre. GMDX, being primarily a one-man mod, is not exactly revolutionary, but it certainly does push forward quite hard at least in regards to Deus Ex.
Because I think that if you set a list of goals and break down your vision into individual missions, as it might be plausible for someone to help you
I already put out a wishlist for the desired fields to cover over a year ago. It was merely a short draft, but insightful nonetheless. I'm revising parts of it currently for my artist, who does textures, models and animation.

I will consider revising the whole thing in the near future and putting it back out there for people to consider.
or integrate your vision into their mod
There are none I desire to integrate as few DX mods stay true to the original (ingenious Looking Glass-styled) design. That's fine, there's lots of great DX mods of varying style, but I'm happy with HDTP and New Vision support as they fit in with GMDX. Rather future mods will likely be built on top of GMDX, if people can stand my inaccessible (but functional) coding.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

Good to see that some artist is finally contributing for you. Hopefully this means that you'll finally be able to get atleast some of the things you wished for.

As for this mod's vision, I thought it was basically to expand upon the gameplay and mechanics of the original game and polish them while following Looking Glass/Ion Storm's principles in mind. This is ultimately what differentiates it from Shifter and Biomod, and why this mod doesn't have questionable aspects from those mods which unbalance the game, like the skills for knockouts and kills, or providing a whole bunch of passive augmentations to make things too convenient for the player, or having some augmentations give weird effects like EMP Shield actually letting the player recharge electricity from electrical fields.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Part 7: Audio Design & User Interface: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS-qj6iT-aQ

Let me stress that what you see in these videos is only a fraction of the full mod. Compare the "Part 1: Artificial Intelligence" video to the full AI list that was released early for example, then apply that difference for each category.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DevAnj wrote: As for this mod's vision, I thought it was basically to expand upon the gameplay and mechanics...
It's not solely a gameplay mod. Sure, if you played an earlier version then I can see how you may have got that impression. v8.0 however deserves recognition as a "improve everything neccessary"/Advancement mod. And now I've finally got an artist to cover absolutely all necessary bases, yet v8.0 still does make the game look reasonably nicer as it is through level design and many updated & new effects.

More artists & an engineer would still be nice though.

Concept time: money needs more value despite GMDX's efforts. New shops in some form or another are what I have in mind. Can anyone think of a way to make the purchase of items fit into the game nicely? I'm thinking the arms dealer method in 2027 is the only viable option as no JCD voice actor.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

Perhaps in Hong Kong, there could be an arms dealer in the canal, as I found that the canal doesn't have much use in Deus Ex.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Anything that requires talking to is ruled out as obviously we have no JC voice actor. Methods for one-sided communication or no communication (such as automated shops - like a vending machine) are required. TNM did have vending machine shops, but they literally were just re-skins of the vending machine, which obviously wouldn't fit into DX itself.

Perhaps an automated shop somewhere where you go up and order your goods via computer interface, yet in DX the majority of public places we visit are lower-class dystopian shitholes. Maybe the Paris train station would fit the bill though.

Edit: hmm, computers are everywhere in DX. Computers in the DX universe are connected to the internet. DX has credits as a currency. Perhaps we could buy something over the internet, yet the method of delivery is another problem. Maybe I'll make it an add-on, not part of the main mod. Give every computer the ability to act as a shop once logged in, and have delivery of goods be instantaneous transmission despite all logic (hence why it would be an optional add-on).

damn...nothing sounds suitable :cry:
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

Bogie wrote:Perhaps in Hong Kong, there could be an arms dealer in the canal, as I found that the canal doesn't have much use in Deus Ex.
How many times have you played DX? There are 2 sellers in that level, plus items gained through exploration. The canal level is really meant to slow the game down, much like the transition levels in HL/HL2. I find that it is very well designed.

In my opinion it is to GMDX's advantage that it has minor rather than major level changes. Do whatever you need to accomodate for the new gameplay systems and small aesthetic improvements. Anything more would be counter-productive IMO.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

kdawg88 wrote: In my opinion it is to GMDX's advantage that it has minor rather than major level changes. Do whatever you need to accomodate for the new gameplay systems and small aesthetic improvements. Anything more would be counter-productive IMO.
Don't forget all the bug fixing and general polish of everything. I went over every damn map optimizing pathfinding graphs, as one example. It's all about polishing what is already there. Whilst there are (intentionally) not large expansions or style changes, the level design work should not be underestimated. I've probably spent equal time in UnrealEd as I have DeusEx.u/WOTGreal coding the majority of things covered by these vids.
I may end up making a "level design & graphics continued" video as I don't feel enough was shown.

Edit: there is one major style change which is the Paris Club, but I believe it to be for the better because it was very barren and just used the same texture slapped up walls that is encountered numerous times in Paris.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

kdawg88 wrote:
Bogie wrote:Perhaps in Hong Kong, there could be an arms dealer in the canal, as I found that the canal doesn't have much use in Deus Ex.
How many times have you played DX? There are 2 sellers in that level, plus items gained through exploration. The canal level is really meant to slow the game down, much like the transition levels in HL/HL2. I find that it is very well designed.

In my opinion it is to GMDX's advantage that it has minor rather than major level changes. Do whatever you need to accomodate for the new gameplay systems and small aesthetic improvements. Anything more would be counter-productive IMO.
Oh yeah, you're right. You mean the woman selling the weapon mods, and the bartender, right?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

So nice to see the ongoing support of the Deus Ex community, as always.

Release date has been pushed back: Dec 20th 2015

Announcement of the delay, plus some other things: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/news/gmdx-v80-delayed

All the videos that demonstrate the sheer scale and design progression that is GMDX:

Part 1: Artificial Intelligence: https://youtu.be/rKHPtfammNY
Part 2: Player-Controlled Mechanics: https://youtu.be/ny0wLI-ZWOY
Part 3: Sim Systems and Effects: https://youtu.be/lsOoTF5TL0Y
Part 4: Weaponry: https://youtu.be/T-bSLkfzWYc
Part 5: RPG Systems: https://youtu.be/yrIPhQBRMfs
Part 6: Level Design & Graphics: https://youtu.be/bpzXECyTQJ0
Part 7: Audio Design & UI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS-qj6iT-aQ
Part 8: Preferences & Misc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huDkZIzrZHs
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Cybernetic pig wrote:So nice to see the ongoing support of the Deus Ex community, as always.
I see GMDX hit the top #100 list for MOTY, along with Revision. Please be sure to vote. :)