Stylization vs Detail (continued for the Revision thread)

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Made in China
MJ12

Re: Stylization vs Detail (continued for the Revision thread

Post by Made in China »

DevAnj wrote:As for FastGamerr, all I will say is I never knew having opinions on a mod would lead to such rifts.
I think I hold the same position as FastGamerr, so unless he PMs me and says otherwise, I'll allow myself to speak for both of us.

It's not feeling strongly about the mod. I don't think Revision is the second coming of Christ, and it's proven to be objectively flawed - almost everything in our world is. I can appreciate people not liking it the same way I can appreciate Deus Ex getting criticized. That's not the issue.

The issue is that people are being ungrateful, even questioning whether Revision should exist in the first place, when it was pretty much what a lot of fans were waiting for before its release. Trasher and Bjorn do not owe anyone, including me, anything - and if they were to talk shit at me I'll lash back at them - but the fans have lashed out at them first without any proper reason, and it dates back to the leaks, and continues with the dismissal of the mod as being a simple sellout, and saying "it could've been done better"/"it's total garbage" without consideration to the multitude of factors the devs were dealing with at the time - primarily the deadline, and them having to push it back just for the mod to see the light of day.

What I'm trying to say, an in-depth analysis is warranted. I think it's even welcomed, so the devs might improve on their initial design. Demanding such a thing, however, is unwelcome. Debating whether the inclusion of thematic elements on a superficial level, i.e. good vs. bad without any middle ground, is silly. You can say what you didn't like - but don't expect it to have any lasting effect unless it resonates with the developers and/or becomes the consensus within the primary audience.
And lastly, you can dislike the mod. There's nothing wrong with it, and you have many others to enjoy. But if you dislike the very existence of the mod, is your opinion more valid than those who have accepted its design choices and are just looking to experience it? Introspect and think whether you're just a vocal minority, because if you are, well, some of the issues that bother you simply don't affect most other people, even if you might be right in terms of design/consistency/whatever. Those are issues better raised to the devs rather in public, because if your opinions simply don't fit into their design - your efforts are futile either way. Just saying.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

It was pretty terrible, I couldn't help but feel the Rev team's pain, but it could be predicted a mile away when the steam paid mods fiasco happened just a few months before. People should have definitely been respectful of 7 years of non-profit work from the heart, but on the other hand publisher-tied, officially distributed mods do set a very bad precedent for modders and mod players.

It's a complicated, sensitive situation.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Made in China wrote: What I'm trying to say, an in-depth analysis is warranted. I think it's even welcomed, so the devs might improve on their initial design.
I would welcome an objective in-depth analysis to help us iron out some of the issues people have with Revision (content-wise anyway). I can't promise we will fix everything, as it might not fit with what we have in mind, but having it out in the open is a first step. :smile:
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.