GMDXv9.0 Release

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Made in China
MJ12

Re: GMDXv9.0 Announced

Post by Made in China »

I'm still against it because I see lasers as jumping/timing puzzles, and I think their punishment/reward balance is fine. I don't see how adding an insta-damage laser can improve that system, but I'm not a designer so my opinion doesn't really matter here.
Realistically speaking, though, a high speed electron gun (such as ones in CRT TVs) is a more grounded application than a lethal laser.

Also, regarding security cameras - it's the same solution used today, even in the army. The only difference is that it's currently manned.
Using a panoramic image doesn't really comply with most screens in use by the army (4:3 resolution), and even when using an array of screens the operator is overloaded with data and generally has a lower detection rate. So using a rotating camera is true-to-life, even though its basic assumption of a manned camera is wrong.
SlySpy
UNATCO

Post by SlySpy »

A few things I want to bring up, as I'm not sure if they've been dealt with.

One glitch I never saw fixed is the one with Jock in the Underworld Tavern. As you know, Jock offers to give you the location of Smuggler if you buy him a beer. If you already know about Smuggler however, JC will comment on this, and then Jock will offer to tell you about Area 51 if you buy him a beer. Problem with this is, if you buy a beer from the bartender, he tells you it's warm and to buy another one from the bartender, forcing you to buy 2 beers even if you already know about Smuggler. This is the case even if you have a beer in your inventory; he'll tell you the one you have is warm, then you buy one from the bartender, and the first one you buy is also too warm.

Another thing I remember, not necessarily a glitch, but an issue of logic. The second time you get to UNATCO, Anna Navarre tells you she is next after Walton Simons' meeting, however she doesn't actually try to talk to Manderley, and instead waits for you to talk to him first. I think, realistically, even if you still in theory can talk to Manderley first if you're fast enough, I think Anna should at least try to get in before you. My proposal is that Anna starts going toward Manderley after Walton Simons exits the room as the trigger, instead of JC talking to Manderley. If this is not feasible, then it's fine, but I think it would make more sense within that context.

By the way, is it possible to implement a filter that makes everything look blurry? I think that would work well for cases like when underwater, when you're around tear gas, or when you're processing alchohol.

Lastly...

We all know getting shot in the legs renders you unable to stand if both legs lose health, but do you actually ever lose movement speed if they're just slightly hurt? Because I've never noticed that. If not, it's something to think about in terms of implementation.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Code: Select all

if (HealthLegLeft < 1)
	newSpeed -= (currentSpeed/2) * 0.25;
else if (HealthLegLeft < 34)
	newSpeed -= (currentSpeed/2) * 0.15;
else if (HealthLegLeft < 67)
	newSpeed -= (currentSpeed/2) * 0.10;

if (HealthLegRight < 1)
	newSpeed -= (currentSpeed/2) * 0.25;
else if (HealthLegRight < 34)
	newSpeed -= (currentSpeed/2) * 0.15;
else if (HealthLegRight < 67)
	newSpeed -= (currentSpeed/2) * 0.10;

So if one leg health critical and the other leg healthy you lose 12.5% speed. Add in the other leg too and the maximum is -20% speed you can lose WITHOUT being crippled on the floor. Very difficult to notice, but it's there, and it's probably just the right amount without being annoying. Maybe I'll increase it a touch on hardcore mode though, up to -30% perhaps.
One glitch I never saw fixed is the one with Jock in the Underworld Tavern. As you know, Jock offers to give you the location of Smuggler if you buy him a beer.
Meh, I'll look into it I guess.
By the way, is it possible to implement a filter that makes everything look blurry?
From what I gather (I don't know much as this is more a graphics rendering/engineer's area) you need post-processing effects that Unreal 1 doesn't support. Perhaps it can be hacked/simulated in some way though.
Another thing I remember, not necessarily a glitch, but an issue of logic. The second time you get to UNATCO, Anna Navarre tells you she is next after Walton Simons' meeting, however she doesn't actually try to talk to Manderley, and instead waits for you to talk to him first. I think, realistically, even if you still in theory can talk to Manderley first if you're fast enough, I think Anna should at least try to get in before you. My proposal is that Anna starts going toward Manderley after Walton Simons exits the room as the trigger, instead of JC talking to Manderley. If this is not feasible, then it's fine, but I think it would make more sense within that context.
Hmm, if I place the trigger just the right distance away it may be enough to make Anna make a move without it becoming a mess of three entities trying to get through a single door. But then we have the problem of JC interrupting Anna and Manderley's conversation permanently simply by moving close, to no reaction.
Made in China wrote:I'm still against it because I see lasers as jumping/timing puzzles, and I think their punishment/reward balance is fine. I don't see how adding an insta-damage laser can improve that system, but I'm not a designer so my opinion doesn't really matter here.
It's more a case of adding diversity than improving anything. But like I said, fan mission.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Hmm, I may make ceiling Spiderbots drop to the floor under certain circumstances. Would do more for realism, immersion and gameplay.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

But what about the falling animation ? also, there has to be an animations referring to the spiderbot lying on it's back while struggling to move
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

It doesn't need a falling animation. Just use the walking (or running) animation, then have it rotate in the air. It won't have to struggle on its back. But even than, it just requires some coding and it can be done easily.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Yep, CyberP's the master-coder :smile:
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
CorinthMaxwell
NSF

Post by CorinthMaxwell »

SlySpy wrote:One glitch I never saw fixed is the one with Jock in the Underworld Tavern. As you know, Jock offers to give you the location of Smuggler if you buy him a beer. If you already know about Smuggler however, JC will comment on this, and then Jock will offer to tell you about Area 51 if you buy him a beer. Problem with this is, if you buy a beer from the bartender, he tells you it's warm and to buy another one from the bartender, forcing you to buy 2 beers even if you already know about Smuggler. This is the case even if you have a beer in your inventory; he'll tell you the one you have is warm, then you buy one from the bartender, and the first one you buy is also too warm.
Not knowing much about bar/pub/tavern/etc. etiquette (me = teetotaler), I'm fairly certain that the general idea is that you're supposed to buy a round of drinks before you get him talking -- one for him, and one for yourself. It's not glitched per se; it's just that the context is, as Capt. Jack Sparrow would say, "maddeningly unclear".
Cybernetic pig wrote:Suggestions are good. Even if they're not suitable they cause me to think about a particular aspect of design, which can lead to new trains of thought, such as (again) the spiderbot behavior born from the shield suggestion. Even if I seem agitated by some suggestions some good things can come of them.

Try to suggest things inline with the Immersive Sim design philosophy, if you know and understand what that is. It's one of many things that sets this mod apart from other large scale Deus Ex mods and influences every design decision I make.

-- [skip] --

Other than that, if it ain't broke don't fix it applies I suppose. There's no genuine advancements I can add to the system itself beyond fixing the angles and adding the amount of ammo you're given being displayed. At least nothing comes to mind. Suggestions?
Most of what I've been trying to come up with involves integration of features/items/etc. from other games, at least primarily in the DX universe. Still trying to think of what would serve as a suitable replacement and/or reasonable/realistic counterpoint for a certain augmentation that you said you wanted to phase out of the game entirely, as well as whether or not it would be feasible for the player to have the option to install illegal "black-market" augmentations, similar to the ones used in IW (which would take a hell of a lot of work to design for most of them).
Robin: "Holy flying snotburgers, Batman!"
Batman: o_0 O_0 o.0 O.0
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

CyberP, how about this new advancement for the flamethrower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEoqrjFX1yI
SlySpy
UNATCO

Post by SlySpy »

A proposal, if you will.

Instead of Medbots and Repairbots only having two uses, what do you think of the idea of an accumulating recharge time for every subsequent use? For instance, upon first usage, you wait a minute for it to be ready again, then on second use, maybe 2 minutes, then 5, then 10, etc. I feel this would be fine in terms of balance, without putting these bots entirely out of commission for two uses.

On the other hand, what do you think of the idea of recharge time being contingent upon how many units you're healed or recharged? This could be a more natural, balanced approach to these systems, and would probably make more sense in terms of lore.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

SlySpy wrote:Instead of Medbots and Repairbots only having two uses, what do you think of the idea of an accumulating recharge time for every subsequent use? For instance, upon first usage, you wait a minute for it to be ready again, then on second use, maybe 2 minutes, then 5, then 10, etc. I feel this would be fine in terms of balance, without putting these bots entirely out of commission for two uses.

On the other hand, what do you think of the idea of recharge time being contingent upon how many units you're healed or recharged? This could be a more natural, balanced approach to these systems, and would probably make more sense in terms of lore.
I'm happy with the medbots as they are: infinite use on lower difficulties, two shots and out on higher difficulties. It's that way for a very specific reason. Health should be finite and systems that recharge over time are always open to abuse.
Kelkos wrote:Yep, CyberP's the master-coder :smile:
Intermediate, if that. GMDX's code would make a master coder scoff. But that doesn't matter, because the game design driving the creation of that code (and the rest) is damn near flawless. And game design is all that really matters, providing the code is actually functional (it is) and not impacting performance (it isn't).
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

Cybernetic pig wrote: I'm happy with the medbots as they are: infinite use on lower difficulties, two shots and out on higher difficulties. It's that way for a very specific reason. Health should be finite and systems that recharge over time are always open to abuse.
About this, I would welcome a more gradual system removing altogether the infinite recharges also for Easy and Normal. Something like 8 recharges for Easy and 5 for Normal would sound good to me.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Kelkos wrote:CyberP, how about this new advancement for the flamethrower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEoqrjFX1yI
I've always preferred that kind of flamethrower in games. It's simply more fun. Would need a range increase and it could end up being more OP than the flamethrower already is, so maybe to this request.
Bird
NSF

Post by Bird »

This thermite-launcher thingy would be redundant to the 20 mm high-explosive round. Looks cool IRL, but not in-game.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

20mm ammo is so rare that nothing is redundant to it.
What would make it redundant anyway in your eyes? Because they'd have a similar trajectory arc? By that logic the crossbow is redundant to the 20mm too.

I was thinking an alt ammo type anyhow, but it's unlikely I'll bother.

--

Entrance to smugglers now looks more like a parking garage: http://oi68.tinypic.com/1h48hw.jpg