GMDXv9.0 Release

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: GMDXv9.0 Announced

Post by Jonas »

Remiel wrote:I tried to register to this Board with 2 different .de Mailaddys - I get no activation Mail from the Board. Also no reply from the Admin of Offtopicproduction. This is really weird!
Ah sorry, I did get your email a while ago, but I was a bit hung up so I never got around to it. There's a general issue with those activation e-mails - sometimes they arrive, sometimes they don't. Weird indeed.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

I can translate the installer to both Hebrew and Arabic, but that would necessitate implementing RTL languages support for it. Probably not worth the effort seeing as those languages aren't supported in-game.
That being said, if you want it - just say so.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Made in China wrote:that would necessitate implementing RTL languages support for it. Probably not worth the effort seeing as those languages aren't supported in-game.
That being said, if you want it - just say so.
I don't have a good understanding of what exactly would be needed to be done to support it, but if it's not too much hassle (e.g doesn't include re-arranging UI elements, yuck) then sure.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

It would take rearranging UI elements - essentially, flipping all of them over as the entire installer will be from right to left for those languages. Going for just-the-text approach always looks weird.
Remiel
Mole Person

Post by Remiel »

Jonas wrote:
Remiel wrote:I tried to register to this Board with 2 different .de Mailaddys - I get no activation Mail from the Board. Also no reply from the Admin of Offtopicproduction. This is really weird!
Ah sorry, I did get your email a while ago, but I was a bit hung up so I never got around to it. There's a general issue with those activation e-mails - sometimes they arrive, sometimes they don't. Weird indeed.
Thanks for this info. I have 2 accounts called "Rhade" and "Leveltrauma" which can be deleted now. I will use this one.

Re the Mod: I changed for myself the language to german subtitles ( I have the steam version and also the GOTY version of this game ) but with the mod some of the items has changed or like the nuke virus they wouldn't translate.

I can translate objects in the world, HUD elements, menus to the correct german words for the mod if you want. Let me know!

Best
Alex
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

So I'm considering making the stamina system optional as it is a stand out notable gameplay change that gets a complaint here and there. Critics of it always clearly miss the point(s) of it but nonetheless it does have a major downside of its introduction, that being slowing down casual exploration. Oh well, I do want to have all things that have a notable impact on the game and come with downsides to be optional. Currently pretty much everything else of that nature is already so this will patch up a remaining purist-hostile feature.
I can translate objects in the world, HUD elements, menus to the correct german words for the mod if you want. Let me know!
I already have someone doing the German translation but thanks for the offer, and I hope you'll always be around to fall back on if the other guy doesn't follow through given the volatile nature of non-profit work.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

Cybernetic pig wrote:So I'm considering making the stamina system optional as it is a stand out notable gameplay change that gets a complaint here and there. Critics of it always clearly miss the point(s) of it but nonetheless it does have a major downside of its introduction, that being slowing down casual exploration. Oh well, I do want to have all things that have a notable impact on the game and come with downsides to be optional. Currently pretty much everything else of that nature is already so this will patch up a remaining purist-hostile feature.
As GMDX player I can tell you that I did enjoy the stamina system you introduced. It contributed to the atmosphere. Make it optional if you want but please leave it on by default.

Also, I do not understand how it slows down exploration. It takes quite some effort to completely deplete stamina (not to mention that the player can invest points in improving it).
RoSoDude
Thug

Post by RoSoDude »

Also want to add that I love the stamina system. If anything, I want it to play a larger role in restricting a player's tactical options (maybe it is in v9.0, also does difficulty affect it?).

But it could be a sticking point for some people, I suppose. It, along with mantling and secondary weapons, are arguably the largest additions to the mechanics of the game, and those are basically optional. I don't get how people could stomach improved AI, gunplay, balance, etc. but not new mechanics which improve gameplay feel and realism at the same time. Whatever.
DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

Salk wrote: Also, I do not understand how it slows down exploration. It takes quite some effort to completely deplete stamina (not to mention that the player can invest points in improving it).
This is most commonly noted in Liberty Island, where the player may not have spent any skillpoints in Athletics yet. Since it's such a huge map it requires some back and forth, which results in the player running out of stamina a bit frequently and slowing his/her progress through a largely empty map that becomes even more empty upon completing the mission. Later on it's not as much of a problem as players wanting more stamina would have invested in Athletics, and huge empty spaces are not encountered much after Liberty Island.
Remiel
Mole Person

Post by Remiel »

Cybernetic pig wrote: I already have someone doing the German translation but thanks for the offer, and I hope you'll always be around to fall back on if the other guy doesn't follow through given the volatile nature of non-profit work.

Sure.

I check this thread daily to get updates about everything.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Personally, I'll be happier without stamina system. When I played (sometime v7), it didn't add anything for me except very occasionally having to slow down exploration.

I'll be marginally happier if you make it optional.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Mortecha
UNATCO

Post by Mortecha »

Yeah would much rather make stamina optional. Fuck your logic CP haha.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I guess I'll explain what that logic is, for those that doesn't know:

-Running away in Deus Ex is a catch-all tactic. Goldfish AI means there's no consequences for doing it. And that's OK, as stealth needs to be viable and running away when caught is a very valid option. However, the stamina system simply makes the act of running away more engaging and not so straightforward.
-It's pseudo-realistic. It's simulationist. More Deus Ex-like goodness.
-It increases the value of the swimming/athletics skill, aqualung aug and a bunch of other things considerably, attaining some semblance of balance there.
-It makes movement around the game world in combat and stealth more tactical. It's another variable to manage and results in some interesting turn of events if not done so, much like the pseudo-realistic health system. Again, very fitting. The stealth and combat gameplay engages the brain on a deeper level, which I personally appreciate as shooting heads or sneaking behind enemies and whacking them in the back can be a bit straightforward at times.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowdancerxxl
NSF

Post by Shadowdancerxxl »

The stamina system is fine. If anything, then make it optional for regular difficulty modes but keep it for the hardcore mode, because aside from making the game more realistic it's also a difficulty change.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx A mod that improves Deus Ex's gameplay, maps, visuals, audio etc. whilst staying loyal to its original design? Yes my friend, you may touch yourself with the light now.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Shadowdancerxxl wrote:The stamina system is fine. If anything, then make it optional for regular difficulty modes but keep it for the hardcore mode, because aside from making the game more realistic it's also a difficulty change.
Yup, already done. Optional on all difficulty modes except hardcore mode, where it is forced for hardcore simulation, challenge and choices and consequences. The usual.