GMDXv9.0 Release

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: GMDXv9.0 Announced

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Made in China wrote: I have to agree with everyone else, this is definitely the definitive way to play Deus Ex - especially when 9.0 comes around with all of the extra features. This makes Deus Ex conform to 2016 AAA standards of design and beyond
*commits seppuku*

It's not meant to have any connection to AAA design standards, except maybe in terms of polish. It's supposed to be an evolution of the Immersive Sim in some form, as well as the fulfillment of Deus Ex's design potential (barring plot-related content).
I think going the Shifter route and allowing aug cans to be upgrade cans for the same aug is the right way to go, and removing some of the later basically-a-gift upgrade cans.
Permanent decisions are more meaningful. GMDX is sure to follow the original design. To aid players make informed decisions the descriptions are more descriptive, and in general everything is much more balanced than it was vanilla so you should feel you made a worthwhile choice even if it wasn't quite what you were expecting.
P.S. - Tong's power box in the killswitch disabling room?
Nothing. It's gone in v9.0.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
Made in China wrote: I have to agree with everyone else, this is definitely the definitive way to play Deus Ex - especially when 9.0 comes around with all of the extra features. This makes Deus Ex conform to 2016 AAA standards of design and beyond
*commits seppuku*

It's not meant to have any connection to AAA design standards, except maybe in terms of polish. It's supposed to be an evolution of the Immersive Sim in some form, as well as the fulfillment of Deus Ex's design potential (barring plot-related content).
Didn't mean to offend, I just meant that every aspect was fleshed out and that it has far better game flow now. AAA game design has quite a lot with immersive sims - for example, the removal of the HUD or the use of a minimalistic HUD, real-time menus, and extra difficulty to make the player experience what the PC is experiencing. Also, the amount of polish goes a long way to increase immersion - by having a consistent quality you make a more immersive game. By having a consistent great quality, you make a great immersive game - which is what AAA game design is aiming for, I think.
So, didn't mean any offense - quite the opposite, actually.
Cybernetic pig wrote:
I think going the Shifter route and allowing aug cans to be upgrade cans for the same aug is the right way to go, and removing some of the later basically-a-gift upgrade cans.
Permanent decisions are more meaningful. GMDX is sure to follow the original design. To aid players make informed decisions the descriptions are more descriptive, and in general everything is much more balanced than it was vanilla so you should feel you made a worthwhile choice even if it wasn't quite what you were expecting.
I didn't mean having the ability to replace the installed augs - I think it's the wrong choice too. I only meant that once an aug is installed, its canisters can be used as upgrade canisters, so you won't get a useless item that takes a lot of work to get - an aug can for an aug you already own.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQZIia5BiDk

Versalife Skybox enhanced. First you're shown the vanilla map with all the graphics mods, then, the same mods with GMDX.
This video is a simple demonstration of how GMDX faithfully enhances the visual experience of Deus Ex. Think what was shown in this video, applied to the whole game.
This is only about 2-3 hours of work. Maybe I'll do more but it's a nice enhancement as it is.

If there are any skilled texture artists reading this, an update of the vanilla floor mosaic would be nice, as the current replacement is inadequate.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

After playing some mods I've been reminded of one of the old Deus Ex bugs that I've pretty much ignored during my GMDX run - the Infolink message timer doesn't run in in-game menus, even though the audio keeps playing - so if you're sorting your inventory during a long message, the text will not end until the timer runs out. This can lead to message chaining, most notable in places like the tutorial.

Speaking of the tutorial, there is a section in the first map with toxic water, and you're given an HEV suit in case you fall. Seeing as you have no skill in environmental training and athletics, the damage you'll receive if you fall in the water might be fatal even if you used the suit. I think this part needs to be changed a bit since the GMDX mechanics differ from regular Deus Ex's.
Also, no mention of mantling, perks and other mechanics.
(small bug during the tutorial - during demo training, if you throw the LAM at the bot instead of placing it on the wall you can also break down the wall in a later part. Also jumbles up the Inflink messages.)

Since GMDX is considered to be the definitive way of playing Deus Ex even for newcomers of the series, I think the tutorial is something that should be adapted towards the new version - even if it's only via text prompts and datacubes.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Yes, I have been looking into going over the tutorial. I've given it some minor faithful visual enhancements, now to sort the gameplay.
I made sure it was playable in v8.0 (only had to change one thing) but I didn't enhance it in any way.

As for the Hazmat/radiation, you can't die at all in the tutorial, so no need to worry about that.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

If you need someone to test the new tutorial, I can probably do it a few times. My last test is a week from now.

Also, playing through Deus Ex mods, I realized I mixed up the way Shifter and TNM treated augs. Previously I meant GMDX should treat augs like TNM does, not like Shifter. Sorry for the confusion it caused.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Using standard aug canisters to upgrade already installed ones, if they are of matching type? That will make all augs in the game fully upgradable in a single playthrough.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Using standard aug canisters to upgrade already installed ones, if they are of matching type? That will make all augs in the game fully upgradable in a single playthrough.
Yeah. Shifter iirc did this, and it messed up balance something fierce. TNM does the same iirc, but it's designed for it so it's not as crazy.

If you want a new use for aug canisters, how about allowing us to switch out the previously chosen aug for the other one (while keeping the upgrade level). It removes some permanence from the choice, sure, but the number of aug cans are pretty limited and spaced apart, so you will be stuck with your choice for quite a while anyway. Being allowed to change your playstyle is one of the core principles of deus ex too, so its not unreasonable.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Actually, I'm saying the opposite thing - some aug cans are repeated 3 times (Env. Resist/Aqualung), some are only once (Power Rec./Synth. Heart). With 9 slots to fill, there are somewhere around 15 aug cans, and if you're an explorer you'll inevitably get the same aug twice and it'll be useless. What makes it disappointing as those aug cans are usually hidden or guarded, and you feel like you've wasted your time and resources if you've found an aug can you can't use. It essentially strips you of your reward if your gameplay style is consistent.
Balancing issues aside, the new system rewards patience and not spending all of your upgrade cans on one aug (such as speed enhancement). And while it encourages min-maxing your character, Deus Ex always did this regardless - it rewards meta knowledge.

Also, I'm not saying it should be added as-is. I'm saying that adding this feature and removing the 3-5 more trivial upgrade cans is the way to go, especially in late-game.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

After playing TNM, there was a feature that could be added to GMDX: Burning stuff down.
In TNM you can torch pretty much everything. In GMDX, bodies will never catch on fire, books cannot catch on fire, and newspapers are simply destroyed instead of a having a quick small burn. I haven't seen fire spread to other objects, either. I haven't tried burning down furniture, but I don't think it's a good idea to implement it in general seeing as some wooden desks have computers and security terminals on top.
Speaking of fire, it's completely underutilized and overpowered in Deus Ex. For the latter, I think decreasing the time it takes for NPCs to put a fire out and maybe nerfing the DPS the fire does can help. For the former, adding flare arrow's combustion perk helps - but I think a fire AOE attack should supplement it. TNM's Molotov Cocktails are a tactical solution using fire, and I think it would fit quite nicely - as these are the most basic grenade weapons a guerilla army can make. It's a shame you won't add any more weapons, although it's probably for the best as in TNM most NPCs would ignore the fire and just run straight through it, and then catch on fire and die.
t850terminator
Mole Person

Post by t850terminator »

" including Spiderbots walking on ceilings"

This triggers me.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

In a bad way? I'm considering making it exclusive to hardcore mode, as I may have underestimated just how scared of the spiderbots many players were, and them being on the ceiling has a greater negative impact on niche builds than bots in general already do (e.g melee-only builds).

As for the suggested fire updates, yeah perhaps I will.
SlySpy
UNATCO

Post by SlySpy »

I literally just found out that you were doing a version 9, and am very much looking forward to checking it out when it drops. I've played both v7 and 8, and honestly, as far as strictly gameplay enhancement mods, I'd say this is the best one, even over highly praised mods by the community like shifter and biomod (not that I find them bad, but to me they're more novelty playthroughs, and not necessarily true to the style and balance of the game).

I have a few questions I'd like to ask, to either gain clarification on certain points regarding v9, or even to hopefully bring some points to your attention that may not even have crossed your mind. I completely understand if you can't answer some of them, so no worries on that front.

First off, you're implementing a game mechanic in which climbing ladders now makes noise, which to me is a good, believable gameplay mechanic. Now, I understand that you're going to incorporate the silent running augmentation into this aspect as well, which will allow you to climb ladders silently, but I would like to ask, if you don't purchase that perk, is it still possible to climb ladders silently if you simply move a lot more slowly? Or are you forced into having to make noise climbing ladders, no matter how fast you move? Also, on the note of climbing stuff, I understand if this can not be done, but is it at all possible to apply climbing to fence textures? From what I remember ladders and the bronze looking metals were the only textures in the engine that were specifically made for climbing, so I'm not sure of the plausibility of climbing fences, although I do think it would add to the simulation factor. Again, understood if this is impossible, but would it be something you'd look into?

From an aesthetic standpoint, one of the few things I didn't like too much about New Vision was that "Sign Him Up For The Knicks" sign in the basketball court in Hell's Kitchen, as it was a bit too self aware and too on-the-nose for my taste, and wasn't really logical within the context of the map itself. Will this be addressed in some form or fashion? I only ask this in particular because v9 has more of a focus on enhancing aesthetics without sacrificing the original vision or intention of the game, and that sign to me was highly out of place (also, it's something you actually have in a screenshot on the GMDX page, so I figure you know exactly what I'm talking about).

Will there be any modifications to the leaning mechanics? If not, I could deal with it, but I do feel that leaning was a bit clunky in comparison to the game's predecessors such as Thief and System Shock, where you could lean out and strafe in either direction at the same time. If something similar could be implemented into GMDX, I think it would make leaning a lot smoother, and it would fit in to the game very well, much like the LGS style mantling has.

Lastly, would it at all be possible to implement light switches in certain areas they weren't in before, where logically applicable? One good example I can think of is in UNATCO. I feel like it should be fairly easy to take existing lights and then connect them to specific light switches in certain areas like that. Of course, that might mean you'd also have to add in light bulbs if they aren't in already, which I do understand could be tough to deal with. Just throwing the idea out into the ether though, just in case something can be done.

I'll be looking forward to checking out v9, so keep up the good work, and keep it Deus Ex, as always.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

is it still possible to climb ladders silently if you simply move a lot more slowly?
Yes.
From an aesthetic standpoint, one of the few things I didn't like too much about New Vision was that "Sign Him Up For The Knicks" sign in the basketball court in Hell's Kitchen, as it was a bit too self aware and too on-the-nose for my taste, and wasn't really logical within the context of the map itself.
Yeah, Made in China already pointed this out. I hope to have my (occasionally contributing) texture artist replace it with something more appropriate, if not I'll have to set it to one of the other New Vision signs.
Will there be any modifications to the leaning mechanics? If not, I could deal with it, but I do feel that leaning was a bit clunky in comparison to the game's predecessors such as Thief and System Shock, where you could lean out and strafe in either direction at the same time. If something similar could be implemented into GMDX, I think it would make leaning a lot smoother, and it would fit in to the game very well, much like the LGS style mantling has.
In v9.0 you can now lean over edges and there's less unnecessary collisions preventing leaning. Considering doing more.
Lastly, would it at all be possible to implement light switches in certain areas they weren't in before, where logically applicable? One good example I can think of is in UNATCO.
The storage closets in v9.0 UNATCO now have working dynamic lights. Can't have too many though as the engine freaks out.
Have to exclude the offices too as there's no vocal/behavioral reactions from NPCs, like Manderley losing his shit because you turned off his lights over and over.
Also, on the note of climbing stuff, I understand if this can not be done, but is it at all possible to apply climbing to fence textures? From what I remember ladders and the bronze looking metals were the only textures in the engine that were specifically made for climbing, so I'm not sure of the plausibility of climbing fences, although I do think it would add to the simulation factor. Again, understood if this is impossible, but would it be something you'd look into?
Fences can be placed into the ladder group, but should they? There's a lot of fences we don't want the player climbing like the dockyard allotment or the perimeter fence of the missle silo.
as far as strictly gameplay enhancement mods, I'd say this is the best one
Can we stop calling this a gameplay mod? I think it's earned that right. Yes, gameplay is the focus as it damn well should be, but graphics, aesthetics, new animations and effects, enhanced audio design etc are anything but. The goal is to improve the game in every respect except the plot and soundtrack, and if people get on board every goal can be fulfilled.
SlySpy
UNATCO

Post by SlySpy »

In v9.0 you can now lean over edges and there's less unnecessary collisions preventing leaning. Considering doing more.
Lean over as in leaning forward? If so, that's a pretty welcome addition as well. It didn't even cross my mind that it was possible.
The storage closets in v9.0 UNATCO now have working dynamic lights. Can't have too many though as the engine freaks out.
Have to exclude the offices too as there's no vocal/behavioral reactions from NPCs, like Manderley losing his shit because you turned off his lights over and over.
That's understandable; glad you're even going through the effort to add some at all.
Fences can be placed into the ladder group, but should they? There's a lot of fences we don't want the player climbing like the dockyard allotment or the perimeter fence of the missle silo.
Well, if it'll break the game in an undesirable way, then it's not absolutely necessary; I was thinking about it purely from a simulative perspective. If it didn't break the game in such a way, it could be an added ingredient to moments of player emergence though.
Can we stop calling this a gameplay mod? I think it's earned that right. Yes, gameplay is the focus as it damn well should be, but graphics, aesthetics, new animations and effects, enhanced audio design etc are anything but. The goal is to improve the game in every respect except the plot and soundtrack, and if people get on board every goal can be fulfilled.

To be fair, in a sense, most of those fall into gameplay and even narrative in some form or fashion. Aesthetics are intended to give the game a bit more flavor without contradicting the original intention, which essentially means it's enhancing the narrative. New animations, and even enhanced audio add to an overall feedback system, which does affect gameplay. In that sense, I wouldn't use "anything but", even if gameplay is not the sole focus of those features.

Try not to take offense anyway, it's not as if your feature set goes underappreciated just because you think the "gameplay enhancement" label is too insulting (which I honestly don't think it is). I'm giving you praise; not belittling your mod, so relax. If the semantics bother you so much, then I consider it among the best enhancement mods to the original game, outside of total conversions and things of that sort.

Edit: Last question, something I forgot to ask about. How feasible would it be to implement dynamic character shadows into the game? I remember a video from way back when where I remember someone working on something like that (if I knew where the video was I'd post it), but I don't know how hard or easy it would be to actually pull off.