GMDXv9.0 Release

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: GMDXv8.0 Release

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Spiderbots crawling around on the ceiling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSXQWAGH-rg
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: GMDXv8.0 Release

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Made in China
MJ12

Re: GMDXv9.0 Announced

Post by Made in China »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4

I especially liked the vision augmentation, which is (I think) a crucial update that made me choose reliably the targeting aug over it consistently.

Also, the improved mantling system - the way you described it, it's so much better than the original system, which considerably adds to the game as it is. The problem is that it breaks many levels' boundaries, especially when combined with the speed aug and/or stacking - Liberty Island, LaGuardia Airfield and maybe Paris if it's designed the same way it originally was.
Currently I'm in Hong Kong with my 8.0 playthrough so I'm just reporting things as I go.

The morality stat is kind of interesting, but I have doubts about it. Deus Ex was always open ended to allow player reasoning and choice - most of the answers were in the gray zone, as to allow for the player to create their own game philosophy. I, for one, like to kill the NSF, then take mercy on UNATCO troops, only to continue murdering only MJ12 troops.
So, I'm skeptical, but I'm willing to try it out. Plus, it being toggleable means it in no way will affect the other changes if it doesn't fit the game.

OMFG LADDER JUMPING

Good call about scrapping the new weapons. I don't think having 2 kinds of assault rifles is conducive to gameplay, especially when there's a full-auto mod that can be applied to pistols - making them essentially handle the same but better in every regard. I even think it's good that the existence of that mod isn't revealed from the get-go, as it can be totally OP, and therefore perfect for metagaming.
That being said, I don't think gore effects should be toned down. We all carry around at least 100 pounds of flesh and 1.25 gallons of blood. When something explodes - it is messy, and covers pretty much everything. I especially liked body parts falling from the ceiling after an extreme explosion.
That is fitting with the explosion of a mine, but not that of a grenade - which is problematic, because the LAM doubles as both. I think that in the future it's probable the grenades will be stronger rather than mines to be weaker, and therefore the excessive blood should remain - especially since explosive devices are now rarer than in the original.

Suggestion: Light up the "SIGN HIM UP FOR THE KNIX!" sign if you make a good shot that will persist through all Hell's Kitchen's iterations. It's silly, but I like coming back to a place and see that something I've done still has an impact - even if it's small and unimportant. Also, it's better than the UI prompt.

EDIT - BUG REPORTS:
Had to restart the game since my laptop got destroyed in a fire.
1. The ammo system is kind of bugged. Started out with the crossbow, meaning - a clip of each kind of dart. When picking up darts from downed enemies, they don't add up to the dart count in HUD, showing 0 clips. Only after changing ammo and switching back to tranq darts the extra clips show up. Not sure what causes it - maybe the crossbow starts with vanilla tranq darts loaded and the GMDX has its own dart items?

2. It's probably already known since it's pretty easy to notice, but dunking yourself in water, surfacing, dunking again and resurfacing completely restores your stamina immediately. While it would be nice to have instant stamina restoration in showers/baths, this is a bit too much.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Made in China wrote: EDIT - BUG REPORTS:
Had to restart the game since my laptop got destroyed in a fire.
Shit, really? That must suck.
1. The ammo system is kind of bugged. Started out with the crossbow, meaning - a clip of each kind of dart. When picking up darts from downed enemies, they don't add up to the dart count in HUD, showing 0 clips. Only after changing ammo and switching back to tranq darts the extra clips show up. Not sure what causes it - maybe the crossbow starts with vanilla tranq darts loaded and the GMDX has its own dart items?
Known bug when choosing the xbow option. Fixed in v9.0.
2. It's probably already known since it's pretty easy to notice, but dunking yourself in water, surfacing, dunking again and resurfacing completely restores your stamina immediately. While it would be nice to have instant stamina restoration in showers/baths, this is a bit too much.
Hardcore mode no longer does this. All other difficulty modes will still restore. If you recall, it did it vanilla too: almost drowning, swim up to the surface and oxygen is instantly refilled. It's a pretty hardcore realism thing to have to manage stamina tied to swimming so this is only exclusive to hardcore.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Yeah, the apartment next door had a fire that destroyed their entire place, plus a room in my house. Unfortunately, my laptop was there.

Finished with the first Liberty Island level.

https://www.yogile.com/n7wxe21s/51m/share/?vsc=ca0d8339

Regarding the last bug, accessing the periphery:
It might be fixable if you extended the invisible wall upwards - but it's an ugly fix. I suggest just trimming and raising the periphery so you couldn't reach it by normal means - because I'm guessing you could also throw a box in the water, climb on it and then mantle your way to a part of the periphery without the invisible wall.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Yep, mantling makes it easier to break the level design, that's why it can be disabled from the options menu. Everything achievable with mantling was achievable vanilla with box stacking and/or speed enhancement though. Mantling simply makes it easier.

As for that area looking like a secret, I guess I should fence it off or remove it. Looks a bit shitty anyway. It should be intuitive that there's nothing up there though, based on the fact there's no sensible way to get up there aside from box stacking and there's no indication or teaser, unless you include a venting cover to be one of those things, which would be fair given that this is Deus Ex.
I'll do something about it.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Alright, so I'll stop making "mantling breaks everything" notes because the engine wasn't designed for that.

Finished Castle Clinton (first time).

The incorporation of passive augs makes some keys redundant - for example, the key for the arm slot will forever be unused because it can only be a passive aug - so some cleaning up is necessary, both in the naming convention (Fnum) and in the key assignment.

Taking the shack vent to the train station does not net you an exploration bonus, but taking the maintenance vent (at the cost of 10% lockpick) does. This is odd, as both lead to the same place by the same route.

Disappearing object (tree):
http://imgur.com/a/wxLVN
This one is odd, because it needs a specific angle and has a maximum distance for the bug to occur. Looking around after it occurs does not fix it - only moving does.

Midway Hell's Kitchen (subject to change):

Bugged Jock's conversation (vanilla bug?) - even after buying him a beer from the bartender, he still says it's warm.

The electrified fence in the alley beside the clinic doesn't deal electricity damage.

The NSF soldier inside Osgood and Sons can be triggered by the fighting outside, meaning he'll open the door and can possibly make all of Hell's Kitchen skipable. I think he can do this because he holds the key to the warehouse - which has a simple fix - just put the key on one of the crates inside.
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

GMDXv9: Revision
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Deceptive marketing, sort of. It's just more of the same of what I've always done. GMDX has been dedicated to improving levels visually for about three and a half years now. Although the website does indicate that. The only reason it's become more of a focus this time around is because mostly every other goal is fulfilled. The intention is to make the game consistently pretty, as stated in the v8.0 level design video last year. Hong Kong was far superior to New York visually speaking. Therefore New York has had far more work done on it than HK.
In fact, a lot of those screenshots shown aren't much different from how they appear in v8.0. Mole people is near identical to v8.0, the basketball court IS identical as it states, the MJ12 hallway just has some nice texture and lighting changes...and of course there's the very different approach to updating the levels. I don't want to lose the original feel, I make a very conscious effort there.

So basically, no, not GMDXv9: Revision. More GMDXv9: Shock Community Patch.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Yep, mantling makes it easier to break the level design, that's why it can be disabled from the options menu. Everything achievable with mantling was achievable vanilla with box stacking and/or speed enhancement though. Mantling simply makes it easier.

As for that area looking like a secret, I guess I should fence it off or remove it. Looks a bit shitty anyway. It should be intuitive that there's nothing up there though, based on the fact there's no sensible way to get up there aside from box stacking and there's no indication or teaser, unless you include a venting cover to be one of those things, which would be fair given that this is Deus Ex.
I'll do something about it.
To be fair, iirc you added some new secrets (the apartment in hells kitchen for instance) that are really hard to get too without this sort of breaking.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

You can get up there without mantling.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Cybernetic pig wrote:You can get up there without mantling.
I'm sure you can, but it is not trivial, and it does set a precedent for looking into places you might otherwise not try.
odio ergo sum
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

It's telegraphed to the player. Big fire escape with ladders. dumpster right next to it with things conveniently right next to that to stack. Once you're on the dumpster you don't have to stack anything further, and don't need mantling or speed enhancement either. It's intuitive, nothing like a high up vent in UNATCO that you have to run around the whole building looking for things to stack in the hopes it can even be interacted with. Furthermore the texture used for that ventilation is not once associated with anything interactive throughout the whole game.

Did you attempt to get up there too? did anyone else? MiC is the only one to attempt/report this. If further reports happen, then I'll consider it a problem.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Cybernetic pig wrote:It's telegraphed to the player. Big fire escape with ladders. dumpster right next to it with things conveniently right next to that to stack. Once you're on the dumpster you don't have to stack anything further, and don't need mantling or speed enhancement either. It's intuitive, nothing like a high up vent in UNATCO that you have to run around the whole building looking for things to stack in the hopes it can even be interacted with. Furthermore the texture used for that ventilation is not once associated with anything interactive throughout the whole game.

Did you attempt to get up there too? did anyone else? MiC is the only one to attempt/report this. If further reports happen, then I'll consider it a problem.
Nah, I never try to get up anywhere ;)
odio ergo sum
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

First of all, thanks for working so hard for the next version. I am sure I speak for everyone here when I say we are grateful for the continued support and polishing up of the original game and GMDX itself. =D>

Said that, I was looking at the comparison screenshots at the official Announcement page and I was wondering why they ever changed the billboards at the basket court. To me, the original ones looked way better. The "Sign him up for the Knicks!" is especially out of place. I seem to remember Daveyboy1978 used to remake HD billboards for DaveW's New Vision but it seems he's retired, unfortunately.