GMDXv9.0 Release

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Made in China
MJ12

Re: GMDXv9.0 Announced

Post by Made in China »

What made N64 shooters so great is that they didn't work by the limitations of their time. This is also why they are so crappy.

When played on the N64 they were bogged down by a crappy controller with one analog stick, shitty resolution, shitty draw distance, and just shitty hardware caps on everything. They do not stand the test of time when played in a true-to-source fashion, even when compared to console shooters rather than PC shooters.

However, with the wonders of emulation you can fix almost everything - the resolution, the draw distance, the controls - and they become much better than shooters that were designed for the consoles first and foremost, almost to the level of PC shooters, where they excel by good gameplay and design simply because they didn't limit themselves properly. I think that the Rare N64 shooters are very comparable to the first NOLF, which is pretty good.

Video Game Dunkey made a video about it, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziUMJB3id8I
Apparently Time Splitters is another good example of a console game that is far better when played with KB/M, but I haven't tested it as I haven't grown up with it (and thus lack the incentive).
Bird
NSF

Post by Bird »

That PilotWings 64 music brought back so much 'time well-spent' memories! Thanks for linking that video.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

Even though Dunkey is hilarious as hell, he makes some great points in his videos. Look at Microsoft Sucks for instance.
medzernik
NSF

Post by medzernik »

Any news on the 9.0 release? Been waiting to replay DX for a while now :D
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Just waiting on Bird to finish the installer, then public beta testing shall begin. Hopefully won't be long now...
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

So I went ahead and begun coding an installer myself. I appreciate bird's efforts but fans are on my ass, and there's contributors waiting including myself, everything is riding on it being done. I'm almost done and I only began yesterday. If I knew it'd be this simple/fast I'd have done it myself way back, but I didn't want to divide my attention between it and other matters.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

Well, I am a bit surprised because I thought you said Bird was back to work on it.

But I think we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now...
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

How to say this without upsetting one that devoted their free time to help me...

I need installer work and iterations on demand, especially once testing begins. Bird evidently cannot provide that, given infrequent visits to OTP and an installer three months (!) in development. So while it is 95% complete I've had to give up waiting and do it myself from scratch...in less than ten hours. Nonetheless, his efforts are very much appreciated, I just need support on-demand.
I think part of the problem is he was using WiX install software, which has a reputation for being overly complicated to silly extents, while I've been using NSIS. good result too, because Bird's Wix installer was 4GB for some reason, while my NSIS build is a little under 2GB (w/HDTP & NV optionally bundled) like the v8.0 installer before it.

And yes, a non-New Vision version will be provided, again like with v8.0. I strongly discourage not using NV though. That installer version is only provided primarily to cut down on download data for those that already have New Vision installed. Not to mention GMDX optimizes aspects of NV thoroughly and is set on being the best looking version of the Deus Ex campaign and for that New Vision is needed.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Lol, what the hell is this random video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5AROUW53g8

:mrgreen:

Up your production values people, GMDX deserves as much.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

What the fuck did I just watch?

I thought you were shitting on your fans at first but after seeing this video I'm just confused. What the shit dude.

GMDX v9.0 HYPE!
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

There may be a new partnership regarding weapon updates, this time with Clyzm.

http://media.moddb.com/images/members/5 ... der_v1.png

http://media.moddb.com/images/members/5 ... v1_COM.png

Shame this can't meet v9.0 release, but I'll happily program what needs to be done for this to become a reality.
medzernik
NSF

Post by medzernik »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
Shame this can't meet v9.0 release, but I'll happily program what needs to be done for this to become a reality.

Well the 10.0 will be a big one then :D I am so looking forward to the 9.0, though, really excited!
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

there will only be a 10.0 if I can get serious development support/team members. So it's important the larger fanbase is aware of GMDX. Make sure you recommend it where relevant.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Yay! Weapon comments:
Assault Rifle - seems like a cross between a P90 and an M16 and a drum. Looks kind weird - but that's mostly the fault of the original assault rifle design. Take note that the barrel fires 7.62 ammo, and the grenade launcher fires 20mm ammo - but it seems like it's based off of 40mm. Scaling it down, while still keeping it fed from the drum (LOVE the visual cue on that - and it's probably semi-practical, too) resolves one of the issue with the original design - being able to fire 20mm grenades without reloading.
Take note that currently it has only one trigger, but two firing mechanisms - or maybe I'm missing something because it's only a side view.
The flash suppressor on the barrel could use a bit of work - it seems too steep. Ideally both barrels should end at the same length (safety concerns).

Assault Shotgun - seems pretty standard from a side view, but we already know that the Deus Ex Assault Shotgun's drum is hollow, so that'd be interesting to see. Could use some padding on the stock (or an actual folding stock for proper firing by regular people), but I don't have any other complaints.

Sniper Rifle - sorry, isn't grounded. The firing mechanism in AR15 and other rifles that are based on it (such as the SR-25 DMR) extends to the stock, where the firing mechanism's return spring is located. Having it curve like that breaks it.
Also, Picatinny rail kind of floats beneath the forward grip - if you've seen that design in pictures, this is supposed to be the bipod when it's folded.
Also, again, padding on the stock.
Maybe ditch the muzzle brake in the original design, so a suppressor that is similar to SR-25's can be added? Or better yet - make the muzzle brake a texture you can mask, and place the suppressor on top of it (again maskable).
Having a quick-access mod on the clip is a nice addition, but I think it breaks lore. It might not, depends on your interpretation of what JC is looting exactly (bullets or clips).
medzernik
NSF

Post by medzernik »

Cybernetic pig wrote:there will only be a 10.0 if I can get serious development support/team members. So it's important the larger fanbase is aware of GMDX. Make sure you recommend it where relevant.
Is there a possibility of you getting it on Steam? That would be huge.