GMDXv9.0 Release

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

GMDXv9.0 Release

Post by Cybernetic pig »

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD GMDXv9.0

Experience Deus Ex pushed to its potential with GMDX, a rare logical progression of FPRPG game design.

Follow the v9.0 installation guide: http://gmdxmod.com/download-gmdx/

The majority of features available in GMDXv9.0 can be viewed on GMDX's http://gmdxmod.com/features/ (not mobile optimized), or alternatively some can be viewed as demonstrated in video format on Youtube:

Part 1: Artificial Intelligence
Part 2: Player-Controlled Mechanics
Part 3: Simulated Systems and Effects
Part 4: Weaponry
Part 5: RPG Systems
Part 6: Level Design & Graphics
Part 7: Audio Design & UI
Part 8: Preferences & Misc

Medium difficulty is recommended for first time playthroughs unless you're specifically after a challenge. Higher difficulty modes truly will result in a thinking man's shooter or sneaker RPG.

Thanks to contributors, testers and supporters of GMDX through its rigorous five years of development.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:03 am, edited 8 times in total.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Re: GMDXv8.0 Release

Post by Jaedar »

:salute:
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

:brofist:
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Congrats on the release, CP!
I want to play GMDX, I was hyped as anybody else, but I'm currently just swamped with uni work. However, from the vision and the skill you've showed in previous releases, it's bound to be good.

Thanks for the Christmas gift!
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Enjoy! When you get the time anyway. It isn't going anywhere and is free, so no worries :)
SlySpy
UNATCO

Post by SlySpy »

So far, I'm enjoying the mod for the most part. I think it definitely lives up to its intentions, and I have to say it has made aspects of the game quite interesting. I may go more in depth with my thoughts on it later on, but for now I'd like to get some troubleshooting, as I've now come across a problem that doesn't necessarily break the game, but it stands out in the realm of "immersion".

Sometime after I got within the Paris Cathedral grounds, one of the MJ12 Commando's body had an odd behavior where whenever I would pick it up, one of those generic "do not place" boxes would fall in its place, until I dropped the body somewhere else. I thought it was a harmless glitch that would go away, but as I kept playing on, I noticed that every body I picked up started doing the same thing. I've now gotten to the point of the game where I'm at Vandenberg and have reached Gary Savage, and it's still happening. This has never happened to me in the vanilla game, so I can only assume it has something to do with GMDX. Is there any idea as to how I can fix this without going back to some other save, or restarting the game?
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Started playing. Crates sliding away is a bit annoying when I'm trying to open them :lol:

The IW style toolbar is a neat idea, but I find it unworkable after trying it for 2 minutes. Rightclicking anywhere causes me to equip whatever is highlighted, since it doesn't get cleared(even before I did the first scroll it defaulted to equipping what was in the first slot).

The challenge this time is to never train any weapon skills other than demolition.

Did you nerf ai reaction to weapons fire? They don't feel as reactive as they used to. Maybe I got used to it, or maybe it's because I'm only playing on realistic?

Where's this USP I unlocked?
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

Jaedar wrote: Where's this USP I unlocked?
I believe it is on Lebedev's jet.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

slyspy wrote:I may go more in depth with my thoughts on it later on
Do it :)
Is there any idea as to how I can fix this without going back to some other save, or restarting the game?
I'll fix it in a patch at some point.
Jaedar wrote: The IW style toolbar is a neat idea, but I find it unworkable after trying it for 2 minutes. Rightclicking anywhere causes me to equip whatever is highlighted, since it doesn't get cleared(even before I did the first scroll it defaulted to equipping what was in the first slot).
Personally I prefer it. Just gotta give it a chance. Both the default belt and the IW one have their downsides and upsides equally, so it really is a matter of personal preference.
Did you nerf ai reaction to weapons fire? They don't feel as reactive as they used to. Maybe I got used to it, or maybe it's because I'm only playing on realistic?
Some AI events were nerfed in v8.0, and AI hearing + weapon loudness scales based on difficulty...although even on easy weapons are louder than vanilla where weapon fire noise was close to having a silencer equipped and enemies over a three or so meters away couldn't hear, which was just ridiculous.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

Hello, Cybernetic pig.

I know we have been at bad terms on another board and I remember your advice to play the game before entering a discussion about it.

Well, I have been checking your GMDX modification and I find it very interesting in its scope and I do believe it might make Deus Ex a better game so I am willing to (finally) give it a try.

Consider this not an apology about my tastes in games, but rather a way to show I respect your work, passion and ideas. Many of which you should not be surprised to know I share.

Anyway, after this premise, I have a few questions for you before I actually get down to play GMDX 8.0:

1) Considering that I never finished the original Deus Ex, that I appreciate a rather realistic challenge (AI) but that at the same time I pretty much hate reloads (I aim to finish games without reloading, if possible), what difficulty level would you recommend?

2) How many of the fixes from the unofficial patch and G-flex's Human Renovation are present in GMDX?

3) I seemed to remember you mentioned optional components but the installation did not offer any. Do I remember wrong? I found it in the game menu...

4) I read in another section of this Forum that you are actively working on improving GMDX even further and those animations you were showing off were really enticing. May I ask you whether or not there might be a new version out soon? I have waited forever to play this game so at this point a month or two more won't really make any difference and I'd really like to experience the game at its best.

5 [Display Issue] In order to have subtitles in the cutscenes, I seem to need a 4:3 resolution. The DirectX 10 renderer provides it but stretches the screen (despite my having chosen Aspect Ratio from the nVidia control panel) and has no support for the ENB series so I changed the gmdx.ini file to use the Direct 3D9 renderer instead:

Code: Select all

[Engine.Engine]
GameRenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice
The game will not work though (black screen with background music):
ErrorMessage2.jpg
unless the user also changes the resolution from the gmdx.ini file before starting it:

Code: Select all

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
FullscreenViewportX=1024
FullscreenViewportY=768
I thought it was good to provide feedback about it.

By the way, my first compliments to you for the perfect customization of the menu layout. Absolutely flawless choice of color that allows me for the first time to read without too much eye strain. Really well done.

Thanks!
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

Here some initial feedback:

- I play with hidden crosshair. Unfortunately every time you aim with/use a weapon, it seems the game leaves the crosshair visible afterwards. Can something be done about it?

- I chose to play at Realistic level because it does seem to strike the right balance but the security cameras' detection range seemed a bit too wide and the NSF terrorist (is it the same value for all humans?) hearing was too keen: he heard me lockpick something from far away and came running towards me (despite not even being visible).

- BUG: After I die. I choose New Game and I have in my inventory the stuff I previously collected (including having it assigned to keys 1-9)

- BUG: It happened once (sorry, I did not take a screenshot) that I shot with a gun and I could no longer holster it, if I changed (using the wheel mouse) item to use, the animation would play of me using a new item (the new item would just overlap the pistol) but left clicking would still result in shooting with the pistol
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Salk wrote: 1) Considering that I never finished the original Deus Ex, that I appreciate a rather realistic challenge (AI) but that at the same time I pretty much hate reloads (I aim to finish games without reloading, if possible), what difficulty level would you recommend?
Normal difficulty.
2) How many of the fixes from the unofficial patch and G-flex's Human Renovation are present in GMDX?
Not sure, but GMDX adapts the major fixes from Huren/Shifter and has many of its own.
4) I read in another section of this Forum that you are actively working on improving GMDX even further and those animations you were showing off were really enticing. May I ask you whether or not there might be a new version out soon? I have waited forever to play this game so at this point a month or two more won't really make any difference and I'd really like to experience the game at its best.
There won't be an update any time soon.
- I chose to play at Realistic level because it does seem to strike the right balance but the security cameras' detection range seemed a bit too wide and the NSF terrorist (is it the same value for all humans?) hearing was too keen: he heard me lockpick something from far away and came running towards me (despite not even being visible).
Camera FOV is rarely altered, although their view range scales based on difficulty level. NPC hearing too scales. Normal/easy is definitely best for those inexperienced with DX. NPCs shouldn't hear you lockpicking though, you're mistaken there.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Normal/easy is definitely best for those inexperienced with DX.
Normal was in fact the level I chose initially but then I started playing: I was crouching behind an enemy, he turned, walked against and then around me like if I was a barrel and I thought it was a bit unrealistic and switched to a more difficult level.
NPCs shouldn't hear you lockpicking though, you're mistaken there.
I probably was.

Have you ever experienced any of the bugs I reported?

And one more thing: I could hide and push ahead a barrel behind which I was hiding in front of enemies on patrol. Wouldn't it be better to make them react and go check? All the more considering the difficulty level was "realistic".
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

First bug I thought I had fixed, but you're not the only one to have reported it since release. I'll probably take another look at that at some point.

Second I've never seen or heard of before.

NPCs reacting to pushing objects: pushed objects do emit noise NPCs pick up on if I remember correctly but the radius is tiny. Maybe it would be good to add a visual reaction too along with upping the radius of the push sound reaction but creating a fair gameplay experience takes precedence. Originally the devs got away with calling it "realistic" because it only influenced combat difficulty. I removed the "combat" from the title and made it influence a lot of things, and I guess people now expect ultimate realism as a result, although GMDX does make the game more realistic in many respects which is good.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

Cybernetic pig wrote:First bug I thought I had fixed, but you're not the only one to have reported it since release. I'll probably take another look at that at some point.
I can reproduce this consistently. It happens every time I choose a New Game after I die. The solution is to start another New Game and everything is reset.
Second I've never seen or heard of before.
It happened only once and I can not reproduce it.
NPCs reacting to pushing objects: pushed objects do emit noise NPCs pick up on if I remember correctly but the radius is tiny. Maybe it would be good to add a visual reaction too along with upping the radius of the push sound reaction but creating a fair gameplay experience takes precedence.
I agree about fair gameplay taking precedence over realism. Said that, would a visual reaction to magically moving barrels seem unfair to the player?
Originally the devs got away with calling it "realistic" because it only influenced combat difficulty. I removed the "combat" from the title and made it influence a lot of things, and I guess people now expect ultimate realism as a result, although GMDX does make the game more realistic in many respects which is good.
I appreciate the effort to make the game more realistic even at lower difficulty levels and I hinted at a visual feedback to moving objects only because I thought it was in the spirit of your vision for GMDX.