Is it true new Deus Ex:MD split into two games?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

LordCorvin
Mole Person

Is it true new Deus Ex:MD split into two games?

Post by LordCorvin »

Does anyone heard if Squre Enix split up the game into two parts?

Because I heard this rumor going around on the internet, and if it's true, I'm not buying this shit.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: Is it true new Deus Ex:MD split into two games?

Post by Cybernetic pig »

It's probably not true. It's a possibility something was cut for later DLC, but not half the game this much is certain. It is however riddled with microtransactions.

Still not very interested in playing it either way. I'd rather painfully take an episodic Deus Ex game than a full game that isn't really a Deus Ex game, it just shares some things in common with it.
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

Not sure about this but I am laughing my ass off at the DLC and microtransactions. Guess that's why the game only costs $80 NZD as opposed to the usual $99.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

OK, it may be true after all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgJwj8jRUXo

Paraphrasing the reviewer: "The whole thing clocked in at about 12 hours doing side quests and exploring everything"
LordCorvin
Mole Person

Post by LordCorvin »

Cybernetic pig wrote:OK, it may be true after all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgJwj8jRUXo

Paraphrasing the reviewer: "The whole thing clocked in at about 12 hours doing side quests and exploring everything"
Welp, the story is lackluster and abruptly ends. No buy from me. Thanks though
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

I agree, those are telltale signs of a split game.
Combine that with the microtransactions and elaboration on things that shouldn't be elaborated upon (the original Deus Ex's lore) and topical references (Augs' Lives Matter fiasco), I think it's the end for the Deus Ex franchise - at least for me. It's in hands that clearly do not know what to do with it anymore.

It was nice while it lasted. At least the original Deus Ex's mod community is still alive and kicking, and I'm eagerly awaiting GMDX 9.0's release - having started 8.0 this past week and loving every second of it and its additions.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DX is in safe hands unofficially. An announcement is coming soon. :smile:

It's a good thing I steer very respectfully well clear of the game's story content, because that is where I'd considerably fuck the game up too. I know my strengths and weaknesses. It's not like DX needs a story mod anyhow, even if I wish some events were fleshed out and polished a little better, e.g conversations that are unfulfilled like the 'Ton domestic dispute. More NPC reactivity and events spawning from those reactions would be nice too, but alas it is not to be.

And yeah, shame about what DX has become (officially), though Eidos' take on it is alright for what it is and it could have been a lot worse as far as modern AAA goes. Though at first glance it does look like things are getting worse with this new game and beyond, plus the mobile games.
WildcatPhoenix
UNATCO

Post by WildcatPhoenix »

There's plenty of story left to tell in this universe, but the staff at Eidos Montreal are clearly not the ones to tell it.

@Cyber: Very much looking forward to GMDX 9.0, and my offer will remain on the table for however long it takes for us to get some new tools. ;)
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

"There's plenty of story left to tell in this universe, but the staff at Eidos Montreal are clearly not the ones to tell it."

Yeah, bring back Pacotti and the other two writers...or not, it'd be a waste of their talents to tie them to a game with modern AAA design principles. Besides, Pacotti is working on System Shock 3 with Spector, and Steve Powers works for Arkane. Not sure about the other guy credited with writing.

I don't recall your offer? More testing?
WildcatPhoenix
UNATCO

Post by WildcatPhoenix »

Cybernetic pig wrote: I don't recall your offer? More testing?
Well I'm always up for that, sure.

I was referring to the offer to collaborate on a future mod effort.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Oh, that would be great. And you understand what Deus Ex is/is meant to be, making you a perfect candidate. Stay in close contact rather than disappearing off the face of the web for approximately a year like last time. :smile:
I'm always looking for a helping hand in taking DX to the next level.
WildcatPhoenix
UNATCO

Post by WildcatPhoenix »

Will do. And I've been around, just mainly in "lurk" mode for the last few months. Had to abandon the Square Enix forums for MD a while back. There was just nothing left for me to say that hadn't been said 1,000x over the previous years (to no avail, of course).

But I'm still eager to keep the real Deus Ex legacy alive in any way I can.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Made in China wrote:Combine that with the microtransactions and elaboration on things that shouldn't be elaborated upon (the original Deus Ex's lore) and topical references (Augs' Lives Matter fiasco), I think it's the end for the Deus Ex franchise - at least for me. It's in hands that clearly do not know what to do with it anymore.
Should have made more ham sandwich jokes in the game.
Chris Rosenkreutz
NSF

Post by Chris Rosenkreutz »

So much hate about this game. Has anyone else started playing yet?
"The whole thing clocked in at about 12 hours doing side quests and exploring everything"
I've been playing for at least 20 hours and there are still many areas I haven't been to yet. There is so much to explore and it feels like there are more sidequests than any DX game to date.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yep I'm at 29 hours and I think I'm about half-way through :D

Either the guy who said 12 hours is on speed, or his idea of exploring "everything" is to visit all the areas and open a few drawers. Hell, I can't even walk down the street in Mankind Divided without being sidetracked for 15 minutes because I spotted a new enterable apartment or shop.

What gets me about this game is that the side quests are the same level of quality as the storyline content. In fact a lot of the side quests are better than a lot of the storyline missions, and more Deus Ex-y to boot. That thing from Deus Ex 1 that many of us missed in DXHR, where you get an objective in a building that can be entered from like 10 different angles, is well represented in the side missions in Mankind Divided. Breaking into the Palisade bank is probably the most Deus Ex 1 thing I've done in a game since the Timsh Estate and Law Offices in Dishonored's Knife of Dunwall expansion.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine