GMDX Art Thread

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: GMDX Art Thread

Post by Cybernetic pig »

No Mona Lisas please. Although Paris does have a distinct lack of paintings. Rene & O's house as well as the Chateau could use some on the walls anyway. Then again for the latter it is implied the Assassins took a lot of the expensive antiques and paintings based on what Nicolette says.

@Kelkos: It's not a good replacement for bushes3. Like I said, maybe I can find use for it as a new object.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

No other object fits the texture I'm afraid [-X
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Shadowdancerxxl
NSF

Post by Shadowdancerxxl »

Wasn't talking about the Mona Lisa. That'd be way too cliché. That's why I mentioned the stolen/missing ones.

Yeah the flat of Rene and O could use one or two. Good idea.

About paintings being stolen from the chateau: Well they didn't take Beth's favorite painting either so they might as well leave a few more in the house.

Everett's home could definitely use a couple of paintings worth millions.

At the cathedral where you can find the nazi gold could also have one or two stolen paintings.

I don't know why, but now I wish the original game's Paris would've had a museum or an art gallery on the Champs-Elysees map xd
http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx A mod that improves Deus Ex's gameplay, maps, visuals, audio etc. whilst staying loyal to its original design? Yes my friend, you may touch yourself with the light now.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

CyberP, I've got an idea, how about we add cluster bombs or cluster rockets in GMDX. It will be a type of a rocket or something.

Function

The cluster bomb is a gravity based weapon and sort of like a grenade. When the player fires it via GEP Gun, the projectile will bounce all over the place emitting smoke, and finally explode into tiny "bomblets" which explode afterwards.
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Wrong thread.

Use this one for new features/those that do not require new art assets.

But to answer your question: all new rocket types, if any, should be compatible with the GEP gun's guidance systems, which yours would not.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Ok, how about they don't bounce off, but their guidance is limited. As per game balancing.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Ask me again in the other thread.
RoSoDude
Thug

Post by RoSoDude »

Mortecha, I just want to express appreciation for what you're doing. At first I was skeptical (only because I don't like change), but I really enjoy your design sense. The final stealth pistol looks how I'd hoped, and the Assault Rifle's proportions are nice while still incorporating the original features -- it kinda reminds me of Invisible War's one-handed SMG in a good way. The new Sniper Rifle has a similarly compact look which is important for me to believe JC can stash that in his trenchcoat somewhere. Oh, and a quick question due to the new AR: is the diagram in the MJ12 Hong Kong locker room going to get updated, or is that pretty low priority?

As for the physics animations I'm supposedly working on, I'm back to it. Though I have to pretty much rebuild my simulation engine to work with generic rigid bodies rather than the joints that link them for some practical reasons. I have all of the math figured out, but the programming is a little involved. And I don't know yet whether vertex association is actually something I can manage, and how well I can extract/import the points. If it works, it'll be worth it. If not, I apologize for talking big.

If that falls through somewhere, I'll take a look at giving the basketball more realistic damped bouncing, and possibly a roll. I appreciate other suggestions for physics stuff, but there's a limit to what can go into the engine, and CyberP has done a lot of the cool work already. Since I'm pretty behind my intended schedule and am a slow learner with the mod tools, anything I complete could possibly go into an addon for GMDX rather than in version 9.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

There's a need for more hi-res texture artists. Especially as Bird has nearly finished the first pass on the installer.
Bird
NSF

Post by Bird »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Especially as Bird has nearly finished the first pass on the installer.
Don't let my progress or my lack of progress haste you guys. Sometimes I am lazy as hell.
Mortecha
UNATCO

Post by Mortecha »

RoSoDude wrote:Mortecha, I just want to express appreciation for what you're doing. At first I was skeptical (only because I don't like change), but I really enjoy your design sense. The final stealth pistol looks how I'd hoped, and the Assault Rifle's proportions are nice while still incorporating the original features -- it kinda reminds me of Invisible War's one-handed SMG in a good way. The new Sniper Rifle has a similarly compact look which is important for me to believe JC can stash that in his trenchcoat somewhere. Oh, and a quick question due to the new AR: is the diagram in the MJ12 Hong Kong locker room going to get updated, or is that pretty low priority?
I'm glad you're liking my work man:)

The sniper rifle's design direction is being changed towards something that looks similar to a more futuristic M110 which will bring the design closer to what it was in vanilla. Currently it's too similar to a Berrett.

That's a good point about the image in the MJ12 locker room. I'll make a new one when the model get's imported into the game.
Mortecha
UNATCO

Assault Shotgun

Post by Mortecha »

One of the main points of my self imposed design mandate states that I must enforce a key identifiable characteristic of a vanilla weapon so that it remains relateable to the vanilla variant my work is designed to replace.

However regarding the Assault shotgun with it key characteristic being it's hollow cylindrical magazine, I feel that this is just stupid. As doing so makes the weapon impossible to make it sit straight on a flat surface as the mag sits under the handle, it provides little logical room for an ejection port, and that the magazine would have to be fixed to the weapon, this increasing the movable parts this decreasing the overall effectiveness of the weapon and possibility of being adopted by policing, paramilitary and military organisations when they audit such a weapon for their armament and capabilities.

What I propose instead is to extend the design of the drum magazine, and apply it to this design. The entire drum can be replaced per reload, it presents a more logical design and I think it looks better that a hollow mag your arm fits through. I know, this deviates from my design mandate but I feel it's justified. And instead, I can make the Assault shotgun look like the one in vanilla without it, which I think would be awesome.

Here are some examples with the drum. Bare in mind, I am focusing on the drum alone, the rest of the weapon is irrelevant at this stage.

I am heavily swayed to go down the drum route, but I would love to know all of your thought about this. And this does sway away from my design mandate alittle. It's logical and it feels right to me.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

I think that the drum mag can be practical, if thinking outside the box:

First of all, it's not a normal drum mag as it doesn't have a feeding mechanism. Instead, it works more like a revolver's cylinder, if it were less rigid.
It acts as a casing catcher, so every used round is moved to the next slot (which is taken), and therefore pushing all of the rounds after it until the next one loads.
The mag itself is shaped like a U, with the shotgun itself closing the loop to form the cylinder.
When loading the mag, every shell pushes out a used shell from the other side, similar to how it functions in the gun.
With all of this said, it has to be hollow - otherwise, the trigger is inaccessible.

This is futuristic and this magazine design is probably the most fragile thing ever (as it's a ring with a hole in it, so it doesn't even have symmetry going for it), but it can work. It isn't the best thing ever as a magazine, or as a casing catcher - but when doing both at the same time, it does pretty well. Probably can achieved using a box design more efficiently, too - but using a cylinder, it's quite OK.

EDIT: Reasoning for why it can't be a completely-round mag, like a regular revolver's cylinder:
If it were, it would've needed an axis of rotation, making the inner part of the cylinder occupied and the trigger impossible (or very dangerous) to reach.
Bird
NSF

Assault Shotgun

Post by Bird »

We have to go deeper!

I dug up some trivia. Before that I was quite sceptic about the hollow drum design, but here we go (The Matrix):Image
EDIT: Say hello to Papa
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

I better not comment about everything wrong with the Matrix shotguns.

About the Armsel Striker, it isn't a bullpup design (the barrel stretches out before the trigger - meaning that ammo is loaded before it, too) - so it doesn't really negate my design. Think of how you would've used it if that big drum were just before the trigger - it would've been unusable.
Nice find, none the less - if Mortecha wants to be inspired by real guns, he can use this weapon as a base instead of the Sci-Fi weapons he found.