GMDX Art Thread

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Shadowdancerxxl
NSF

Re: GMDX Art Thread

Post by Shadowdancerxxl »

Cybernetic pig wrote:I don't disagree with that post. I just don't think anyone should be taking issue with the existence of a thug (it hasn't even been specified which thug/s yet) with a kitchen knife, because it happens and it is common. Yes, an occupational mugger or whatever is very likely (although still not necessarily) going to have a switchblade, but I never specified any particular thug.
Well to be honest it wouldn't really bother me either if you'd give kitchen knives to a bunch of people in the game outside of butchers and chefs because they are as you said common. Junkies are a good idea in fact. I just think that those two muggers on the basketball court, plus the rooks in the brooklyn bridge station and so on are experienced muggers, thieves and criminals and they'd probably use common sense and would use a switchblade instead of a kitchen knife because they are easier to hide.

To be honest now that I read back our comments I think we're saying the same thing, but phrased it differently xd
http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx A mod that improves Deus Ex's gameplay, maps, visuals, audio etc. whilst staying loyal to its original design? Yes my friend, you may touch yourself with the light now.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Shadowdancerxxl wrote:I just think that those two muggers on the basketball court, plus the rooks in the brooklyn bridge station and so on are experienced muggers, thieves and criminals and they'd probably use common sense and would use a switchblade instead of a kitchen knife because they are easier to hide.
The Brooklyn Bridge and Basketball court melee thugs use crowbars. No more easier to conceal or professional than a kitchen knife.

We're cluttering the art thread now. Cluttering it with more interesting discussion than Kelkos' antics, but cluttering it nonetheless. I probably won't give the knife to anyone except the chefs and butchers, one or two junkies, and as decoration for the game's many kitchens. Although no guarantees as I don't think I'd be wrong to arm one or two thugs as such.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Regarding the basketball court thugs - you're right. And I've said I misremembered both of them having guns, instead of one of them holding a crowbar.

Regarding the Brooklyn Bridge Station Rooks - they don't need to conceal anything, as they're already hidden. And it's far more likely that a derelict train tunnel will have crowbars instead of kitchen knives.

Wouldn't it be easier just searching for unarmed, combat knife-carrying and crowbar-carrying NPCs and just add the kitchen knife wherever it's appropriate? It isn't a major change, and fleshes out the world if it fits.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see your edit before posting. Will stop talking about it.
Last edited by Made in China on Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

True regarding the Brooklyn Bridge thugs being far more likely to have crowbars (there's that commonality factoring into the context ;)), yet there's plenty other instances still where a Kitchen Knife may be suitable.
Made in China wrote:Wouldn't it be easier just searching for unarmed, combat knife-carrying and crowbar-carrying NPCs and just add the kitchen knife wherever it's appropriate? It isn't a major change, and fleshes out the world if it fits.
Yeah, this is what I intended! Just one or two special cases to diversify things, if it fit that particular character, location and surrounding events.

Edit: unless you meant giving them the knife in addition to their current weapon. Nah it'd be a replacement.
Shadowdancerxxl
NSF

Cybernetic pig wrote:Kelkos

Which reminds me: CyberP Can I add the BFG from Doom 3???? Can somebody send the files and convert it so I can add it to the game and put my name into the credits??? Of course only after I've put a few blood stains onto it using photoshop!!!

Edit: Sorry, forgot you asked us to stop spamming your art thread xd
http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx A mod that improves Deus Ex's gameplay, maps, visuals, audio etc. whilst staying loyal to its original design? Yes my friend, you may touch yourself with the light now.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

:P
Shadowdancerxxl
NSF

Regarding Art: Slap me if this has already been discussed, but I'd like to ask how hard would it be to add a few real life (preferably high-res) painting to the game? More specifically I'm talking about the ones that have either gone missing or have been stolen. I'm talking about Vermeer's 'The Concert' or Rembrandt's 'Christ in the Storm on the Lake of Galilee' and so on which are said to be worth millions. I could very well imagine some of these painting hanging on the wall in Everett's home. Maybe even replace that painting in the Duclare chateau with an existing missing one (Well at least I don't recall seeing that painting anywhere else so I'm guessing they just made that painting for the game. Correct me if I'm wrong though) to which Nicolette said it's her mother's favorite painting.
Of course you could add a few paintings that aren't missing, but have been sold to rich people.

Dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'd adore a few beautiful paintings in the game. They'd also work in some parts very well atmospherically. Well, at least in my mind.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Ok, this is relevant.

I think you'd be aiming at hd images on the internet. An example of this is, Mona Lisa 1024p HD painting. To implement this however, is an easy task, but finding the high resolution images regarding the painting is is hard, if someone has those HD pics, then convert 'em using photoshop, or any other tool from X format into PCX. In short finding it is difficult, but implementing is is easy.
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hey I heard you like weapons from other games. Fancy a macuahuitl from Expeditions: Conquistador? I actually own the copyright! Nothing says "cyberpunk" like a nanoaugmented agent with a macuahuitl.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Jonas wrote:Hey I heard you like weapons from other games. Fancy a macuahuitl from Expeditions: Conquistador? I actually own the copyright! Nothing says "cyberpunk" like a nanoaugmented agent with a macuahuitl.
I'm guessing steam, sure why not :smile:
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You're guessing... steam? Like, a steam-powered macuahuitl?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

No, I mean steam, that online gaming store. I heard that you posted your games on it.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You're a real piece of work, man :lol:
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

What the hell? I was just asking.
Also, yeah, send it to me. :smile:
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Yeah, um CyberP, I posted a new texture for the bushes3. What about it?