GMDX Art Thread

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Bogie
UNATCO

Re: GMDX Art Thread

Post by Bogie »

I like how the bullpup design is more pronounced, as I couldn't really tell what it was going for before. Also, as MIC said, the silencer being external is pretty neat. Compliments to the chef. :smile:
KlauZ
Mole Person

Post by KlauZ »

While external silencer does look cool, yet it goes completely against the lore (silencer is built-in) and the idea of the gun (it should be compact and easily hidden).
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

Just took a closer look at the actual silencer, and it doesn't look all that external. You can just barely see that it is in fact attached to the gun, sorta molded on. Also, since the gun is supposed to be easily hidden (Like KlauZ pointed out), maybe have a screw added to the handle of the gun so that it looks like it folds up.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

To be honest, lore is of utmost importance. If it contradicts it, then it should be either modified or scrapped.

Seeing as the latter is the obvious choice, let's think of ways of making the former happen - my suggestion is to make the suppressor connect to the inside of the body of the stealth pistol rather than the end of it - thus having it seem like half of a regular suppressor and just a little nub.
This is highly unconventional if it were a screwed-on suppressor as it would place the trigger in front of the barrel (as it came very close to in the original design), but if we think of the silencer as an integral part of the barrel, it makes perfect sense.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

Took a look at the original model. I see what you mean. Just modify the barrel.
Or an even better idea: Make the silencer retractable so it's easier to conceal, and is practically a box shape.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Utmost faithfulness is not the artist's concern with the weapon redesigns, if you recall. And that's why they will be optional. I can't force the artist to slavishly follow the original design unfortunately, but I still like his work hence optional. They're loosely based on the original designs at least.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

Well as long as the models look good (Which they do). :smile:
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

I'm fine with it, it's optional anyways - it's just that I think that they look good as well, and I'm trying to get the best of both worlds by having really nice looking models AND having the lore intact. Mortecha is talented, that's for sure - and her (his?) renders so far awesome.

If she is willing to make slight adjustments to her vision it'd make me really glad, but if she isn't - well, we still have great looking models, and I'll still be thankful for her contributions.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Mortecha (male) claims a integrated, internal suppressor is entirely unrealistic.

I think it's 2052 and we can have some fictional tech that breaks the rules of our current reality, but I'm not bothered either way. Some of the weapon redesigns are very different to vanilla, such as the sawed-off shotgun, so there'd be no point fussing over the stealth pistol alone.

My preference would be more faithfullness, and usually I'd outright decline such deviations from the original design, but the quality of his work and Deus Ex's need for better weapons earns him an exception in the form of optional player choice.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

I was just about to edit my comment, after a late night of uni work and got a little fuzzy. Yeah, Mortecha is male and I'm a dumbass (you even referred to him as male and I completely missed that).

Anyway, I'm assuming that is the in-depth analysis he has done:
http://mortecha.deviantart.com/art/Deus ... -634892123

And I have to agree with him - to a certain extent. In most cases, suppressors can't act as secondary barrels, but that's because they're fitted to after-market and made to suppress rather than to compensate. Also, the near-future tech argument is there, so it can be justified even if not explained.
Anyway, he put up way more work into it than I did, so he's probably right - not to mention that his opinion matters far more than mine. I'm cool with the new stealth pistol.

The new sawed off seems very different indeed! I'm anxious to see it textured.
KlauZ
Mole Person

Post by KlauZ »

integrated, internal suppressor is entirely unrealistic.
I actually agree on that part, pistol design implies that it should be using special ammo instead of silencer, but gameplay beats reason. Still, i think compactness defines the gun's character.
DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

I always thought the original's stealth pistol wasn't so much an attempt at realism as it was a homage to the Seboru CX from Ghost in the Shell: http://appleseed.wikia.com/wiki/Seburo_Compact-eXploder. That being said, the part about the integral silencer was intentionally added to provide for weapon variety. I agree that an internal silencer would not be that short and would necessitate raising the barrel length, which simply wouldn't work for a compact design like this.

I have some misgivings about how the new weapon designs feel a bit too futuristic for my taste, but I'm willing to give them a chance, especially since they're optional and the modeler seems to know what he's doing. Besides, a bit more variety never hurt.

Sidenote: here's a pistol with an integrated silencer. Doesn't seem too bad. http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/18/news/co ... gun-combo/
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DevAnj wrote:I always thought the original's stealth pistol wasn't so much an attempt at realism as it was a homage to the Seboru CX from Ghost in the Shell: http://appleseed.wikia.com/wiki/Seburo_Compact-eXploder.
Appleseed and Ghost in the Shell are two different works of fiction. But yeah, some of DX's designs seem to draw influence from JP Manga.
That being said, the part about the integral silencer was intentionally added to provide for weapon variety.
The stealth pistol will have the silencer attached by default, unable to unattached.
Sidenote: here's a pistol with an integrated silencer. Doesn't seem too bad. http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/18/news/co ... gun-combo/
Cool. Maybe this can convince Mortecha to make it internally built-in.
Mortecha
UNATCO

Post by Mortecha »

I'm loving all of the creative and constructive criticisms based around the Stealth Pistol, and am glad most of you like it.

Just like all of my other work so far, the design isn't set in concrete and there are still afew things I'm not happy with, which will be fixed before I start texturing.

Was not aware of Silencer Co, the Maxim 9 or their range of suppressors until now, and I really like what they have done. It was not until I saw this http://www.gundigest.com/wp-content/upl ... 2016-2.jpg that I changed my position regarding suppressor lengths. So The next iteration will be somewhat different, with an internal suppressor closer to vanilla.

Just so we're clear, I have always intended to have my work be lore friendly, what I do not intend to do is create exact copies of the old weapons.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Dude, that's great. I'm glad we all share a common ground on this thing - but even if we weren't, your renditions are top notch and have lots of thought put into them. Everyone who has half a brain will be glad to have better Deus Ex assets that actually have thought and love put into them.

Thanks for all your hard work.