GMDX Art Thread

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Kelkos
UNATCO

Re: GMDX Art Thread

Post by Kelkos »

Special thanks to Bogie, for masking the texture, so , are you gonna use it in Bush3 ?
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Send it my way. I can't guarantee I'll actually use it. I have to compare it with the default Bush3, check for anomalies, and place it down in a map with a number of bushes (lib island) and see if it blends naturally into the environment. I suspect it may stick out like a sore thumb, but we'll see. If it does, I'll probably only ask for a color adjustment. It's the intensity of green that makes me fear it'll stick out.

Edit: also, where did you take it from? I'll need to credit them appropriately.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

I think the texture would fit better in places like the Vandenberg levels (Vandenberg outdoors, Silo, Gas station). It would have to be a flat texture (With some transparency here and there for realism) for it to look natural on a bush.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Most of the bushes models are used on Lib Island, a couple places in paris and not really anywhere else.

Wait this texture is not faithful in the slightest. So it can't be used as a replacement, but it can be used as a new addition perhaps.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

I searched "Alovera Pics " Got one, got a gray background, copied one strip, cropped it, bent it, blurred it, and made the texture, I made it. +o(
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

aloe vera is commonly used as interior decoration, so maybe I can find use for it as a Plant4 class (new addition).
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Problem, the pink masking texture in visible.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

Hahah, WOOPS. I'll fix that in a bit.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Also, I think you should replace the knife in the butcher's hand in wan chai with something new, a butcher's knife. I'll provide the textures for it.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

I like that idea, actually. Maybe remove the lines on the knife and just make it straight silver. I guess it would be good for the chef in Paris as well.

Perhaps it would have slightly more damge toward humans then the regular Combat Knife, but do even more damage towards animals (Karkians, Dogs, Greasels, etc).
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

While that works as a game and world-building concept, I think that differentiating between animals and humans isn't right - we are all built from largely the same building blocks: meat, bone and skin. Maybe our skin isn't as tough as most animals, but it just makes more sense to have it do more damage globally, and I think that makes it a bit unbalanced and "unique" - something that belongs more in Borderlands and Fallout rather than Deus Ex.

I do agree that it should have a custom model and description. Not that sure about different stats.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

I think it would make sense for it to have "slightly" different stats. Perhaps decreased attack speed, but larger window for more damage (So it doesn't always do the same damage, but a range from 5 to 8 which is randomly picked [Which, depending on the level of skill, becomes less random and more centered to say, 6-7 average]).
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

No to dishearten anyone, but the knife will be an NPC item, so only NPC's can carry it and use it. Because if it's a weapon, then we need new animations depending on the knife's aesthetics.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Yeah, always wanted a new knife for the game's various chefs and butchers. I'd probably make it so it has no gameplay value, however (similar to the Combat Knife stats but less damage). Every now and then in Immersive Sims and some classic RPGs there is an object or two that serves no immediate gameplay purpose such as Deus Ex's cigarettes. Despite serving no immediately perceivable gameplay purpose or benefit, it does improve gameplay on some level simply by saying "you want to interact with that, well you can!". It adds freedom and realism, and counters the feeling and expectation that everything is designed by offering deeper illusion of freedom. Counters game design concepts such as balance, choice and consequence etc without actually conflicting with them. Those are very good concepts but so are realism, consistency, world-building and immersion, and with Immersive Sims you get it all wrapped up nicely in a neat package. Most things should be built from varying degrees of gamey and realism, but not all should. some things can go exclusively in either direction.

God damn it, I need to stop reciting the same similar lines of admiration. Looking Glass/Ion Storm struck such a perfect balance of design concepts in every way though. Design perfection that no other developer really achieved (on a conceptual level, not always perfect in execution), and that's why I don't want to stray from it. I want to improve it. Reach new heights of complex game design synergy perhaps never before achieved.

That's my opinion anyway. To me it's the perfect design formula, at least for an ARPG. Not much of it can be applied to Super Mario Bros for instance, and some things SMB does better, like consistent, balanced, fine-tuned challenges. Although that's one of many things I've attempted to address with GMDX, but it can never be that fine-tuned as there's just so many awesome variables. Nonetheless it's better off as a result of those efforts.

Anyway, over the past week I've been polishing movement systems further for increased realism and immersion, and more focus on the enhanced artistic direction. Also improvements to the fire extinguisher explosion graphics and how it works in general.
...Not too much given the recent celebratory dates. Not much from artists either, likely for the same reason. I hope to see support pick up again soon though.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Yeah, always wanted a new knife for the game's various chefs and butchers. I'd probably make it so it has no gameplay value, however (similar to the Combat Knife stats but less damage). Every now and then in Immersive Sims and some classic RPGs there is an object or two that serves no immediate gameplay purpose such as Deus Ex's cigarettes. Despite serving no immediately perceivable gameplay purpose or benefit, it does improve gameplay on some level simply by saying "you want to interact with that, well you can!". It adds freedom and realism, and counters the feeling and expectation that everything is designed by offering deeper illusion of freedom. Counters game design concepts such as balance, choice and consequence etc without actually conflicting with them. Those are very good concepts but so are realism, consistency, world-building and immersion, and with Immersive Sims you get it all wrapped up nicely in a neat package. Most things should be built from varying degrees of gamey and realism, but not all should. some things can go exclusively in either direction.

God damn it, I need to stop reciting the same similar lines of admiration. Looking Glass/Ion Storm struck such a perfect balance of design concepts in every way though. Design perfection that no other developer really achieved (on a conceptual level, not always perfect in execution), and that's why I don't want to stray from it. I want to improve it. Reach new heights of complex game design synergy perhaps never before achieved.

That's my opinion anyway. To me it's the perfect design formula, at least for an ARPG. Not much of it can be applied to Super Mario Bros for instance, and some things SMB does better, like consistent, balanced, fine-tuned challenges. Although that's one of many things I've attempted to address with GMDX, but it can never be that fine-tuned as there's just so many awesome variables. Nonetheless it's better off as a result of those efforts.

Anyway, over the past week I've been polishing movement systems further for increased realism and immersion, and more focus on the enhanced artistic direction. Also improvements to the fire extinguisher explosion graphics and how it works in general.
...Not too much given the recent celebratory dates. Not much from artists either, likely for the same reason. I hope to see support pick up again soon though.

So, um, uh is it uh.. yes or no?