GMDX Art Thread

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Bird
NSF

Re: GMDX Art Thread

Post by Bird »

An emotional comment to all in the morning wrote:I am glad that we are here to make GMDX as we want it to be for its final release. I feel happy for we are a team who share common ground and design principles in unison.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Updated the OP. Removed an artist who hasn't responded past offering his services a month back and assigned KlauZ to take over that position (creation of decals). He creates high quality textures and values fidelity. Also added a couple new textures to the list.

Overall It doesn't seem like much progress will be made regarding the fulfillment of HDTP unfortunately, judging by current progress, but New Vision should be handled sans the HKSigns. Unless someone can find a good texture artist that knows Cantonese. It's a problem, but only applies to/nags at the speakers of that language, fortunately for the majority.
KlauZ
Mole Person

Post by KlauZ »

Don't really need an artist, just someone who knows cantonese and can post proper kanji for me to write on signs.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Made In China, perhaps?
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

You could translate it,via google translate and give it to me so I can modify it with photoshop
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Made In China, perhaps?
Sorry, not Chinese - Israeli. If you need something translated from Hebrew or Arabic, I could do that.
Bird
NSF

Post by Bird »

Kelkos wrote:You could translate it,via google translate and give it to me so I can modify it with photoshop
If you use automated machine translation, you always get horrible results (you would get less errors if source and target language are in the same language family). Take Hungarian as an example. I bet if you throw some random whole, grammatically correct English sentences at it which have perfect meaning, it would come out as gibberish in Hungarian. Not to mention that Chinese language uses logograms as its writing system and the way they express certain expressions is quite complex, because different hànzì (that is kanji for Chinese) can mean different things if they are read as a bunch of logograms.

BTW I could help find and write these Chinese characters down in a text file, if anyone fancies having it (e.g. you could ask a friend without showing them the image).
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

If we don't have a credible source who can translate it, maybe we can consult the hivemind at r/Chinese or Duolingo.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Good plan. In due time. I consider it lower priority than a number of other textures that still need to be done. Unless I get another texture artist.
Mortecha
UNATCO

Post by Mortecha »

I can reach out to somebody, who may be happy to translate into proper Chinese. I also know some people who work at Microsoft China who would be glad to help.

Would advise compiling a comprehensive list of all things requiring translation, to then be translated once.

Then we get a comprehensive and accurate list back.

If we jerk around said contact/s then there would be no guarantees of completion, or even accuracy.
Last edited by Mortecha on Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

KlauZ wrote:Don't really need an artist, just someone who knows cantonese and can post proper kanji for me to write on signs.
I think I found one

https://steamcommunity.com/app/397550/d ... 427682193/
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Lol, he tries to get DaveW to apologize for his free content. Yes it's in poor taste, but it's nothing to get worked up to that extent about.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Can Klauz please mask these backgrounds, I accidentally thought that deusex accepts these, while creating the texture. I created one alovera strip, bent it using photoshop and replicated it.
Attachments
g-patch.jpg
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Properly masked, and in-game, it would look kinda like this, but opaque.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

The texture is modulated, which is why the whole thing is super transparent (green brightens everything behind it). You'll need to use a masked texture. https://puu.sh/sXEnU/3f2ab5ba12.tga

Here's the converted version. https://puu.sh/sXEk6/0bf7d00139.pcx

For future reference, when converting a masked texture in Bright, you'll need to use the parameter "-mask" (not including quotes). Hope this helped.

Also, try to cut down on anti-aliasing when doing masked textures, as weird pink pixels can appear.