Deus Ex 1 Speedrunning thread

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Bogie
UNATCO

Deus Ex 1 Speedrunning thread

Post by Bogie »

Post in this thread for speedrunning.

Training level in GMDX
I found a few cool tactics for the gun familiarisation part that might apply to the original game as well.

First off, activate both buttons by crouching down and looking right at the bottom edge of the cover. That allows you to have the two targets at once. Secondly, lean to the right (The left is much harder), and look slightly above the ammo and weapons. You'll be able to grab them before Gunther even opens the locker. This also applies to the sniper rifle section, and is much easier.

The second skip is to do something of similar vain; Grab a LAM, but by crouching instead of leaning this time. Press only the first button, as pushing the second one glitches up the door to the right. Let the bot blow up, then move to the door. This saves time of the player having to grab the LAM when the conversation is done, since both the locker and the door open at the same time. This part is two skips in one. Throw the LAM down the corridor towards the bot, so that it's up against the wall. It will not only blow up the bot, but in this case, it blows up the door and the brick wall in the next room. After a few InfoLinks, The door will open and you'll be able to just walk on through.

From what I know, disarming the first LAM then tossing it down the corridor parallel to your position allows you to kill two birds with one stone, but you'll still need to disarm the one in the other corner.

I'll update once I find any more speedrun tactics for Training, but you guys can post whatever you want.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Re: Deus Ex 1 Speedrunning thread

Post by Kelkos »

Cool, can't wait for more. Also, is blocking paths of the soldiers to the alarms also exploitable. I tried that once.
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

Perhaps, but it's takes more time to do that. Right now, I'm focused on the weapons training.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

I found another, small skip. When you throw the lam at the robot, make sure you still have a sniper rifle (Toss it so the inventory trigger doesn't take away your rifle). Throw down the LAM, and as quickly as possible, shoot at the LAM (This is only possible in GMDX). Also, make sure it's to the left and as far a possible, otherwise it will only breach the wall in the next room (This means you'll have to go through all of the InfoLinks before the guy can give you a LAM, and it just straight up saves alot more time. The only reason this trick works is because the LAM's explosion radius is MASSIVE in the GMDX training level.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

GMDX made a great improvement. Shooting LAM's cause them to explode.
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

Kelkos wrote:GMDX made a great improvement. Shooting LAM's cause them to explode.
That's uh... Exactly what I said. And I never said it was a bad improvement.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Bogie wrote:
Kelkos wrote:GMDX made a great improvement. Shooting LAM's cause them to explode.
Just saying tho :)

It's better to drop a lam from your inventory and shoot it rather than throwing it a npcs ;)
DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

I came to know of a speedrunning trick in the Vandenburg level. Basically, the end level trigger is active right from the beginning, and it can be triggered with bullets. You need to shoot at one of the mountains to get this to happen. This is shown in the latest AGDQ Deus Ex speedrun, which was quite enjoyable and recommended for watching. Link: https://youtu.be/OAeU8zfqFVk
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

I didn't even know this run existed! The only games done quick one I knew was by UraniumAnchor. That's an awesome skip though. I'm surprised that you can trigger that with a bullet (Even though the bullet is always instant hit, I'm pretty sure when the gun fires, it emits a bullet particle that just goes straight until it hits level geometry, in which it simply gets deleted).
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

Kelkos wrote:
Bogie wrote:

It's better to drop a lam from your inventory and shoot it rather than throwing it a npcs ;)
If that is true, I'd say we have a problem with the implementation of the LAMs.

It shouldn't be so.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Bogie wrote:I'm surprised that you can trigger that with a bullet (Even though the bullet is always instant hit, I'm pretty sure when the gun fires, it emits a bullet particle that just goes straight until it hits level geometry, in which it simply gets deleted).
Actually the tracer projectiles are just cosmetic. Firearms use a simple raycast to detect what they hit when they're fired, and you can set triggers up to trigger when hit by one of those raycasts. It was obviously a mistake to set that level transition up that way :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Salk wrote:
Kelkos wrote:
Bogie wrote:

If that is true
I don't see how it can be true when the actions involved look something like this:

Method 1: Aim and throw LAM. If accurate and good timing, success.

Method 2: Drop LAM (limited drop range). Equip another weapon. Aim at LAM. Wait for xhairs to tighten. Fire (and therefore wasting unnecessary bullets).

Method 2 is essentially an inferior version of attaching the LAM to a surface as a proximity-triggered mine.

I can maybe see one or two unusual situations where Method 2 may be better than just tossing or wall-mining, but overall it's insignificant. I made grenades explode when taking specific damage types more for the looting and realism side of things, inspired by Invisible War. All too often in DX1 explosives are the answer to everything.

Edit: Oh, and because chain-effect explosives are cool and can result in some unpredictable carnage. :smile:
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Cybernetic pig wrote:All too often in DX1 explosives are the answer to everything.
Also in US foreign policy.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Lol. Well at least they haven't dropped any nukes on anyone since WW2.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Lol. Well at least they haven't dropped any nukes on anyone since WW2.
*cough* Georgia *cough*