MWM Feature List

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Mortecha
UNATCO

MWM Feature List

Post by Mortecha »

WEAPON REDESIGNS
- All vanilla weaponry will be redesigned strictly under a design mandate designed to produce the most logical, believable, lore friendly and aesthetically appropriate results for weapons in DX.
- The intention of these redesigns is not to create exact replications of the original weapons.
- Design Mandate:
  • - Design around functionality first, which underpins believably in their use.
  • - Retain at least one key aspect of the original weapon to maintain relateability to the original in the design, unless it conflicts with the first point or the weapon is simple enough to not warrant a relateable connection.
  • - Look aesthetically appropriate for 2052, not only through their design but also considering the context of their existence and use.
  • - Be visually interesting, no one likes a dull, poorly designed, poorly made or poorly textured weapon in a game.
  • - Be subtly influenced by HR and MD weapon designs, a sort of unofficial continuity to Eidos Montreal's weapon designs which are fantastic.
  • - Aim for the possibility of maybe even being considered beautiful from a design standpoint.
EDIT: No more connection to GMDX. Now the functionalities I have been pursuing the entire time can move along unhindered by pointless argumentative and illogical obstacles.
Last edited by Mortecha on Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: GMDX MWM Post Discussion Feature List

Post by Cybernetic pig »

- Detached scopes will return to your inventory, if there is enough room.
Was never explicitly agreed upon.
Iron Sights, maybe. These may not be required but depends upon sight implementation.
If there is holo sights, there should be iron sights too.

Other than that, it's all agreeable. Not exactly what I want (e.g not notably faithful aesthetically) but that's why it's intended to be an optional fork, of course, and it should fit into existing systems without disrupting much of note now it has all been defined.
Mortecha
UNATCO

Post by Mortecha »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
- Detached scopes will return to your inventory, if there is enough room.
Was never explicitly agreed upon.
So you're not in agreement? After 6 pages of discussing this functionality, that was the conclusion that we had reached, remember the first "Option 1".
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

So you're not in agreement?
No. Being able to re-materialize scopes but no other mod type is too inconsistent with how the rest of the modding system works. Scope detachment concept 2 as defined in the other thread is more suitable.
Mortecha
UNATCO

Post by Mortecha »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
So you're not in agreement?
No. Being able to re-materialize scopes but no other mod type is too inconsistent with how the rest of the modding system works. Scope detachment concept 2 as defined in the other thread is more suitable.
So you are in agreement? But you are also back paddling to go back to Option 2 to have Generic scopes with subtle aesthetic differences, the way HDTP does it?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Hmm? I'm not in agreement regarding the scope detachment concept and think the other one proposed where you can take scopes off/put them back on again but the mod doesn't re-materialize is more fitting.
Mortecha
UNATCO

Post by Mortecha »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Hmm? I'm not in agreement regarding the scope detachment concept and think the other one proposed where you can take scopes off/put them back on again but the mod doesn't re-materialize is more fitting.
Well I disagree. And we have had 9 pages of discussion now, and I have expressed why multiple times. But yeah, the closest you have come to agreeing to something is "if we go with Option 1...." under the context of being in agreement. But you then say no more about it to create a final resolution. Because of this you are extending the length of the discussion. And As I have said to you in MODDB, scopes detaching into the inventory underpins not only the whole idea itself, but my position on it.
Cybernetic pig wrote:I think I gave a bunch of pretty good reasons as to why we should stick to what is established but just do it better, but so be it. If that's your wish over one minor difference of opinion, despite my repeated stating that I'm willing to consider doing things your way if we can't see eye to eye.
??

Page 2, Comment 3 of Mortecha's Weapon Discussion http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... 2&start=15. I believe this is a situation we really can't see eye to eye on. And this entire drawn out process over one piece of functionality that goes against your perceived way DX should be is wasting time. Especially regarding something that is entirely optional. Perhaps making a separate mod entirely isn't such a bad idea after all.
Last edited by Mortecha on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

You're conflating the discussion. I disagree on a very simple, minor detail, that being whether or not scopes should re-materialize in the inventory when detached. Being able to detach a scope and then apply it to another weapon is entirely out of tune with how the rest of the modding system works, as well as the choice permanence principle. With the other method you can still detach/reattach scopes and sights, you just can't stick it on another weapon.

Edit: also, from the logic/realism side of things both are unrealistic, as you've insisted on going with unique optics on a per-weapon basis and I've reluctantly agreed. Taking off the hi-tech scope on the plasma rifle and then sticking it on the pistol will result in said pistol not having a hi-tech scope. That's just as illogical as scopes not re-materializing.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mortecha
UNATCO

Post by Mortecha »

Cybernetic pig wrote:You're conflating the discussion. I disagree on a very simple, minor detail, that being whether or not scopes should re-materialize in the inventory when detached. Being able to detach a scope and then apply it to another weapon is entirely out of tune with how the rest of the modding system works, as well as the choice permanence principle. With the other method you can still detach/reattach scopes and sights, you just can't stick it on another weapon.
But that is how I want it to work. So there's the difference.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

That doesn't mean it is how it should work (in accordance with Deus Ex's existing design), though.

It's not like there's any major benefit gained from being able to switch scopes between weapons that is worth ditching Deus Ex's choice permanence design principle and the relative consistency of the weapon modding system for.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mortecha
UNATCO

Post by Mortecha »

You're not understanding. That's how I want it to work (Waves Jedi hand frivolously and hilariously):P
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

So we're agreed and scopes/sights should not re-materialize? Is that what you meant?
Mortecha
UNATCO

Post by Mortecha »

Cybernetic pig wrote:So we're agreed and scopes/sights should not re-materialize? Is that what you meant?
I have made it clear countless times that I want them to return to the inventory when detached.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

You're going to have to compromise to fit Deus Ex's design more sensibly.
Mortecha
UNATCO

Post by Mortecha »

Cybernetic pig wrote:You're going to have to compromise to fit Deus Ex's design more sensibly.
What would you like the the compromise to be?