How Long To Beat Deus Ex?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

ggrotz
X-51

How Long To Beat Deus Ex?

Post by ggrotz »

I ended up finding a site that catalogs game times called HowLongToBeat.com. I decided to look at Deus Ex and found times far larger than the ones I usually get in beating this game (8-9 hours, pretty completionist in terms of doing all possible missions, no speed running, only real thing I do to speed up anything is escape through the dialogue).

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=2486

Are these generally reasonable with what people experience here, or are they off for you all too? I can see it being slower maybe if you're not used to the game, but still...

Just for fun, here's their entry for The Nameless Mod: https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=23136
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: How Long To Beat Deus Ex?

Post by Jonas »

Talking to everyone and exploring all the dialogue options accounts for maybe half of the time I spent in the game each time I played it, but even so 8-9 hours for a completionist non-speed run seems implausibly low. I think my first playthrough of Deus Ex took me something like 35 hours.

I guess one thing that will make a big difference is whether you play mainly combat or go for a stealth playthrough. Stealth is pretty slow, so just blasting your way through can probably cut a mission's play time in half.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
CrocMagnum
NSF

Post by CrocMagnum »

I think you can expect a wide range of duration depending on who’s playing the game:

- Newbie: the one who never played a hybrid-shooter. For the record I was totally clueless when I first played Deus Ex, it took me around 50 hours on my first playtrough! First I had no idea what I was doing. Two I’m a contemplative kind of guy when playing games with a strong immersion, I was so much sucked into this world: I could stay there just watching at props and commercials (Think Less^^). Third I was stuck for many hours in the NSF Sewers: you know the blue key the "accountant" NSF gives you? Well I didn’t know I had to use the Nano Key Ring to open that m**** door! (it has 100% Strength) So I probably played the entire game up until then without knowing how to use the damn thing. This might explain the 50+ hours playthrough. In retrospect I wonder how I made there. ^^

- Seasoned Gamer: I’d say 25-30 hours tops,

- The Battle-Hardened DX Veteran: maybe around 10 hours like you said, ggrotz.

- Speedrunners: Recently there’s one gamer, jelmeree, who finished DX in "30.45", hats off to him: Deus Ex any% in 30:45 (youtube)

Also funny how the same guy mentions speedrunning Revision took him slightly longer "42:45" (levels are expanded in Revision which might explain it):
jelmeree Deus Ex Revision any% 42:45 w/o loads (speedrun.com)

note: jelmeree did these speedruns in Easy, though. Booo! ^^

Edit: well, Jonas kinda beat me to it. :mrgreen:
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)
kelseyradley
Thug

Post by kelseyradley »

For the game Deus Ex, the completion times you mentioned (8-9 hours for a fairly completionist playthrough) might indeed differ from what some players experience. Deus Ex is known for its complex narrative, multiple pathways, and depth of gameplay, which can lead to variations in playtime. Players who take their time exploring the game world, experimenting with different approaches, and engaging in side content may take longer to complete the game compared to those who rush through the main story. tunnel rush
tepidfirm
Mole Person

Post by tepidfirm »

The shooter who has never used a hybrid system. For the record, my first playthrough of Deus Ex took me about 50 hours because I had no idea what I was doing. I was initially unsure of what I was doing. Two, I tend to be more thoughtful when playing games with high immersion, but I was completely drawn into this world and could have stayed there for hours simply looking at the scenery and the advertisements (Think Less).

breakout game