dx-music.com :: Deus Ex Music Community

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

justanotherfan wrote:Ocean at the Bottom of the Lab
Best. Name. Ever.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
sweets
NSF

Post by sweets »

Ah great! I've told my mate and he's coming over for drinks and some music mixing. I've signed up and we'll try and produce something good by the end of tonight.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Cool!

I'd like to hear a few more orchestral-sounding DX-like tunes. For some non-technical reason, amiga mods tend to wear out my speaker's tweeters; not really, but I would like to get use out of my subwoofers ;-)
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Is there any sheet music for DX tracks?
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

justanotherfan wrote: Just listening to the new LAMs Hurt and Ocean at the Bottom of the Lab tracks. Ocean made the random junk on top of my subwoofers dance.
I think thats the best remix song on there so far. I don't know why.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I think because it tries to emulate a specific music style while still keeping the majority of the original song. Downtempo electronica, I'd guess. Almost like Bonobo, but more tied to electronica rather than emulating jazz.

It, as well as Lost in the City of Lights, received 5* here. It's harder to describe since it's in the synthy techno electronica area, but I'd say it's Dance Techno Electronica...Like an uptempo Royksopp remix if you're familiar, but with more of a high-pitch 8-bit type sound.
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by LeoBad »

Hey, cool.
...heading to the site now.
EER wrote:Is there any sheet music for DX tracks?
DX music is in .mod format, which works like a modified MIDI file -like a MIDI file with the appropriate soundbank attached-. This proprietary soundbanks (for lack of a better term) are put together by the composer, sometimes even on a song by song basis. And the sounds that comprise them are not necessarily setup to reflect the actual pitch the sample is sounding. So if you open a DX music file on a tracker program and you sit down with a piece of manuscript paper you might be able to actually transcribe the track, but an automatic conversion would be subject to error in the given example.

Also, sometimes there are effects written as notes into the tracks (ie: the beginning of "Synapse" or the "UNATCO HQ" tracks where the melody is written with a delay in mind to form a counter-melody with the original phrase. If you look at the track in the tracker program a simple algorithm wouldn´t be able to identify this. You´d have to implement phrase recognition features and my guess is that is much more troublesome and un-educational than a DIY approach.

So in short no. But you can open the tracks on a tracker program and have fun for many many hours. I know I have...
;)
Last edited by LeoBad on Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I somehow doubt that I would have fun doing that ;)

However you have peeked my interest in the midi file format, perhaps I'll write some program doing something with midi files :)
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
LeoBad
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by LeoBad »

EER wrote:I somehow doubt that I would have fun doing that ;)

However you have peeked my interest in the midi file format, perhaps I'll write some program doing something with midi files :)
Ha! ...glad I could help.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

There's a new DuClaire remix, as well as an album of remixes out on the page, by Auteur Theory.

Also, iTunes was shuffling, and it came across a song that I thought was from Deus Ex. Unrelax, by The Wretch, on the Ambulatory album-
http://www.magnatune.com/artists/albums ... /hifi_play

It can be downloaded as an mp3 by opening the m3u IIRC and downloading the link. It's been years since I got it.