French-english in-game e-mail translation.

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

GamerX51
NSF

French-english in-game e-mail translation.

Post by GamerX51 »

I was replaying Deus Ex for the 50th time, and I came across an e-mail in smuggler's computer that's written entirely in French! :shock: Can someone please translate this for me?

"Nous trouvons vos limites acceptables. Nous nous attendrons à ce que les éléments en question fournissent promptement -- avec déclencher des mécanismes -- à l'emplacement que nous avons discuté. Nous avons créé un compte contenant la première moitié du paiement, compte le numéro 312446, l'autorisation 1351. N'essayez pas et n'entrez pas en contact avec à nous l'adresse ci-dessus; elle ne fonctionnera pas. Si vous exigez de nous contacter vous pouvez utiliser les moyens que nous avons déjà établis."

I tried using Google's translator and Babelfish, but their results were somewhat...lacking, shall we say. :? Does anybody on this board speak French or know anyone who does? I'm dying to know what that e-mail says! :x
If you're going through hell, then just keep going.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

It basically says "We find your terms acceptable. We have put *some stuff I don't understand* in the discussed drop location. We have created an account for the downpayment account#: 312446, password: 1351. Do not contact us at the address used below; it does not work. We will contact you * Some more stuff *"

Don't have time right now for anything more accurate ;)
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
GamerX51
NSF

Post by GamerX51 »

Hmm, well that's worlds better than what Babelfish gave me. :roll: Thanks for the prompt reply, EER. But if you get the time, I would like a complete translation.
If you're going through hell, then just keep going.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Sounds like a bank account. Are there any ATMs near Smugglers? I think the ones in the Underworld bar have separate datacubes that give account info for them.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

ATMs can have multiple accounts, so as long as you didn't break them both with hacking, you might be able to use them to access the account given in that mail.

Needless to say, ATM's function way more logically in TNM.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

In TNM there is only a PIN and you need to mug someone for their ATM card?
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Not THAT logically :P

But any ATM can be used to access any account, and accounts persist between missions.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

And (if I'm not mistaken) they accrue interest, so it might be worth holding off until later missions before stealing everything. Trestkon is a crafty consumer, see.

TNM has many silly but fun features.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Actually they don't accrue interest strictly speaking, but since you can get more money if your Computer skill is higher, it sort of ends up working that way. Empty an account when your Computer skill is Trained and you'll get less money than if you wait until your Computer skill is at Master. Yay @ emergent gameplay, right? :)

Also this:
TNM has many silly but fun features.
Means a damn lot coming from the High Lord of Feature Creep.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Is money more useful in TNM than DX? Money's almost completely worthless, given how much more of it there is than what you need, so ATMS are essentially extra stuff that's nice to do rather than being solid forms of valuable income for our penniless hero. :P
DDL

Post by DDL »

Not true! Money's really helpful at the start, and you also need a shitload if you're going to buy anything from smuggler.

(though does anyone buy anything from smuggler? Seriously, that guy has the worst economic sense ever)
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Just weapon mods, I think he has them the second trip to Hell's Kitchen.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Jetsetlemming wrote:Is money more useful in TNM than DX? Money's almost completely worthless, given how much more of it there is than what you need, so ATMS are essentially extra stuff that's nice to do rather than being solid forms of valuable income for our penniless hero. :P
The main use of money in TNM is to buy things from the Weapon Shop, which actually does have a fair amount of merch that you can't easily find on the streets. Also, you need to gather a bit 'o money right off the bat top pay for transportation.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DDL wrote:(though does anyone buy anything from smuggler? Seriously, that guy has the worst economic sense ever)
I bet they wrote those lines for him before they'd really balanced the game, and they thought "yeah that sounds about right", and then once the testers played through it and were all "wtf were you thinking this guy is ripping me off!" his lines had already been recorded and it was too late to change now.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

Maybe they should have "means-tested" charges: check the players funds and give them either cheap, not so cheap, or insane prices, accordingly.

After all, it's not like you can drop the money to get a better deal...

(amusingly, in many games you can: in guild wars there's a quest where you have to pay someone 10k, but you can pass the "player has enough money" check, drop ALL your cash, and then click "agree to pay 10k" button. It magically generates 10k from your non-existant funds, whereupon you pick up all your cash again and wander off smirking)