Deus Ex Wiki

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Deus Ex Wiki

Post by Trestkon »

I thought this was a particularly good idea.

The wiki is here:

http://en.deusex.wikia.com/wiki/DeusEx_Wiki

The creator made a thread over at PDX:

http://forumplanet.gamespy.com/general_ ... 6525/p1/?9
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Wikipedia does quite well.

The JC Denton article was the only one I read. Very certain on how he grew up. Doesn't have the DX2 storyline. Declares some strong things about him, including the "hidden rebellious attitude" he "developed" in the Swiss school during indoctrination; when JC rebels against UNATCO, it's either due to stricter adherence to the UNATCO rulebook (killing unarmed civilians) than UNATCO practices, or against individuals corrupting the organization (Manderly bribes) and breaking the rules. Much like Daedalus, JC turns against UNATCO due to his programming.

Anyway, just talking about nothing instead of adding to this new wiki.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Does anyone actually KNOW how JC grew up, or if he did at all? Because the intro suggests that he didn't...but things in the game suggests he did (why would they implant memories that doubt whether their parents are real?).

That's always bothered me about the storyline.
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

Yes, unfortunately that will remain unclear forever.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

I fail to see how the intro suggests he didn't. That certainly isn't JC in the tank, JC is the secondary unit who is undergoing training at the time of the intro, as stated in the intro. [Added] Of course it could be argued that I've misinterpreted "preparations" because looking at the script again I don't remember how I got the impression I should interpret it that way.[/Added]

JC's story is mildly complex, explained to some degree in the game and to a greater degree in the continuity bible.

From the game we learn that JC was born and raised like any other human being, when he was young his parents were killed and he was sent to the Swiss school. Later on JC lost another set of parents when MJ12 tried to recruit him to UNATCO (The father from that set being the one who made a toast at Paul's graduation.) I'm not sure whether it's explicitly stated that JC is a clone of Paul but I think it's made pretty clear.

From the continuity bible we learn that JC and Paul's parents getting together was actually a result of MJ12 influence because it was believed that their offspring might be useful to the nanoaugmentation project. They were right, Paul was determined to be just what they wanted, they cloned him but because the clones developed in different wombs they turned out different (this isn't technobable by the way, clones of cows often look quite different even though they are genetically identical.)

As it turned out Paul's mother wanted another kid but couldn't have one. MJ12 scientists came to her saying they were fertility experts who wanted her to participate in an experimental operation and would pay her boatloads of money. Apparently Paul's mother had been poor her entire life so this was, and I quote, "a dream come true."

The operation was implanting a clone of Paul in her womb, JC was the result.

When Paul was 17 and JC was 6 MJ12 decided Paul was too unpredictable and killed the parents so that JC would be sent to the Swiss school. (The continuity bible is silent on this, but Harvey Smith told us that JC and Paul are both adopted after Paul's real parents die which clears up some questions about how there were parents mentioned as clearly being alive -and killable- later in JC's life.)

Paul joins UNATCO and gets nanoaugmented, JC joins UNATCO and gets nanoaugmented, the game begins.

-

The rebellious attitude thing comes from the continuity bible:

The school tried to instill into J.C. an unquestioning loyalty to his superiors and a willingness to follow orders. Although the conditioning seemed to work, J.C. despised the school's rigid disciplinary style and developed a rebellious attitude that he kept hidden.
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

:so: ...too tired to read it all up on nuwen and also too lazy to argue... Thanks for trying to explain it though. :)
Last edited by fox on Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

I don't see why the guy in the tank can't be JC, or Paul.

After all, floating in a tank doesn't necessarily mean that's where you were GROWN. If installation of nanoaug architecture requires some kinda tank-immersion process, then it could be either of 'em.

Could be a healing tank, too.

Either way, the texture used for the face of the deco hanging in the tank (a deco called 'dentonclone', incidentally) is essentially the base texture for the default paul/JC face, minus any facial hair (even eyebrows), and lacking the blue nanoaug eyes and bits.

They do of course use the exact same deco for wade walker and nick pausback, but that's perhaps understandable: they could've stuck page and simons' faces on them, but they look out of place pretty badly (I just tried), and of course both of them are already augmented, so they'd really have needed to make new textures for them both, and so on and so on.
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

Didn't someone discover that they're all the same texture because they're just holograms or something? I swear I remember reading about that.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Nah, the whole hologram thing is because the tank with 'Alex Denton' in it is walkable through (i.e. the deco is actually set to be non-colliding, thus 'a hologram') whereas all the other clones are definitely NOT walkable through.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Interesting stuff. I think I read the continuity bible years ago.

Still, much of the hard facts about JC are already questioned in-game. Those clone pods contain people that are obviously full-grown; why are they there? That's where JC "was born", yet he has a different backstory. The story isn't entirely consistent in-game, but that's alright since they were trying to inspire uncertainty and suspicion anyway.

That's just the JC article. I'm confused as to why they're making a Wikia article. Wikipedia's DX content seemed pretty complete, and AFAICT Wikia is a for-profit company with free content...some kind of offshoot from the Jimmy Wales/Wikipedia stuff that went on a while back. I don't know much about it, but I don't see why new DX wiki pages were important.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

why would they implant memories that doubt whether their parents are real?
I don't think that was intentional. I think it had more to do with Paul finding out too much from Tracer Tong. Its a Blade Runner reference anyway because Rachel in BR had "fake" parents too, implanted memories as deckard calls them. Its a safeguard that allows the replicant to live successfully in human society. I have a further strong feeling that Agents have to be grown to full Adult state in the Area 51 tanks suggesting that none of JC or Paul's memories are real, the player jumps into JC's Mind once you begin the training- quite possibly this is where JC is turned ON for the first time.

If Deus Ex 3 is a prequel then perhaps we'll find this out.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

I really don't see any reason to believe that they implanted any memories ever. When you get to the computer that has the recently accessed old emails on it you see:

To: WSimons//UpNet.039.4980
Subject: Secondary Unit

I've come to believe that <PLAYERFIRSTNAME> should be brought up in a more supervised environment than his brother; I have serious doubts as to his brother's usefulness as our primary unit, and would rather that at least one of the secondary units was under our direct control.

Terminate the parents, but see that <PLAYERFIRSTNAME> is not harmed. We'll move him to our school in Switzerland where we can oversee his development. If it becomes necessary, his brother is expendable.

Page

This makes it clear that JC had a childhood and had parents. He was brought up, so was Paul. It also fits perfectly with what we are told in the continuity bible. It is true that the same computer contains an email that makes reference to growing to adulthood and implanting memories at some point after sufficient technology has been created, but it mentions this after describing and suggesting the implementation of the exact process we are told by the continuity bible was used to create Paul and JC.

We would suggest utilizing the data acquired by the Illuminati during the smallpox vaccinations of the 1940s to genetically screen for those couples most likely to produce desirable offspring who could then be cloned and raised by the "parents" under carefully supervised conditions. These cloned siblings would provide the necessary redundancy for further experimental trials.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I'd believe that the fast-growth memory-implanted clones were a technology that came after JC and Paul were made- a lot can happen in twenty years of science after all. ;)
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

I would have to agree. Besides there is nothing in the game that suggests artificial memories.
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

A lot in the DX story suggests that nothing and no one can be trusted. Everyone who can help has a motive. A lot had been done conspiratorially in the past, and JC is a result of conspiracy. JC is biologically engineered and continues to be reengineered through firmware ROM colloid whatever throughout the game, many of which come from MJ12's labs during the game. Many of these augs change how JC sees things, or are even altering his basic biological processes. JC's perceptions can't be trusted, let alone an email he notices in one of the levels while everyone is trying to persuade or dissuade him at once. Falsifying an email's date isn't hard, especially on your own computer (within the MJ12 network). I'm not saying it's pointless to try for a backstory, but the game itself offers multiple versions, reasons to doubt them, and encourages suspicion of everything. My point was that the wiki's being so certain about JC's details doesn't align with the with the whole concept of the game. Who's story does the Wikia believe? Paul/Lebedev, Page, Dowd, or just what a player-writer theorized from some of the contradictory evidence. All conspirators one way or another ;-)

Deus Ex can't even agree with itself about what year it is in-game, let alone JC's age. The Wikipedia article balances issues like this particularly well, discussing for example how DX2 tried to correct DX1's setting year. I know nothing about this Wikia thing, so it's confusing to see a poorer result from a duplication of effort. It must be like the GPL vs. BSD vs. LGPL licencing thing, Wikia must be different somehow in how the content is treated.