End of an era..

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: End of an era..

Post by Jonas »

We're pretty much done with modding, sorry. We'd like to move into independent game development now.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Magnas
Thug

Post by Magnas »

Jonas wrote:We're pretty much done with modding, sorry. We'd like to move into independent game development now.
No surprise there, really. Modding is a good way to get started and all, but if you're going to be dedicated to getting into the industry, I can't imagine how much it would suck to have to spend the next several years to something that you can't even earn money for. A labor of love is nice, but it must be cool to know that your project can be for the sake of the game itself AND be a viable option as a career path as you continue development.

I just hope you all keep such a strong link to the communities when you're working on the next project! ;)
antoblake
Thug

Post by antoblake »

Well, I guess you deserve to move to something bigger. :) Although TNM is so huge I have difficulties to imagine something bigger...

Anyway, I'll look forward to your next projects, and I wish you good luck ! :)

Now, who wants to participate to the next DX mod ? :mrgreen:

[edit] And I just saw there is an other topic about this, sorry.[/edit]
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

To be bold and kinda a dick I'm glade where all moving on from Deus Ex. The only mod on the horizon that looks promising for it is Project 2027. Which to be totally honest I may or may not play because I'm really really board with Deus Ex.

Really the fan base of Deus ex is not vary impotent nor is the game play or the plot. It's what the game told us and how we can use that knowledge in the present and in the future that matters. It's the legacy of Deus Ex that will live on in the harts of the people it has touched. *sniffle*

So I'm happy to see the Deus Ex community die. It's like somebody really old and wise died but through that death brings new life. New opportunitys for the youth.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Aside from your spelling, which is entertaining as ever, that post clashes with your sig in a fantastic fashion.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

There are more interesting mods that are still active... Like MiB http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-man-in-black/ . I believe he is going to start working on it again.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

The problem I see is there's not likely to be any more mods like Deus Ex unless Deus Ex 3 is open to modding, which I'm kind of doubtful of. Because games like HL2 which are the most popular for stuff like that require a hell of a lot of coding to do stuff like Deus Ex. Plus there's an obsession with Multiplayer mods - barely any mods are singleplayer nowadays, because multiplayer is so much easier to do.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Deus Ex modding will probably have come to an end due to how redundant the engine is getting and how bored we all our with its features- if you're using outdated technology, game development can become a tedious task of "why the hell am I even bothering". That's why projects like HDTP and TNM and to some degree NV are such an accomplishment because no one is disciplined enough to bother working on an engine that is now a decade old and is so difficult to work with due to being an emerging 3D engine for the time (when previously only 2D Sprites were used on a 3D background).
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:Deus Ex modding will probably have come to an end due to how redundant the engine is getting and how bored we all our with its features- if you're using outdated technology, game development can become a tedious task of "why the hell am I even bothering". That's why projects like HDTP and TNM and to some degree NV are such an accomplishment because no one is disciplined enough to bother working on an engine that is now a decade old and is so difficult to work with due to being an emerging 3D engine for the time (when previously only 2D Sprites were used on a 3D background).
Totally, fucking, true. I would have loved to work on MIB some more (I was part of the team) but it just got discouraging... plus participating in the 3ds max fundamentals class, which I'm about 3 days away from finishing project 2. (Woohoo!) Has so much more job potential then being a mapper for MIB. (sorry wildcat if you be reading this.)

To add to Mr.CP's comment. I was a fairly good mapper myself but I really started to hate using Unreal Ed because of all the changes I had been experiencing around me in the advancement of technology. I mean when you can do a better job in a program that is free, open source, better then Unreal Ed and now you can theoretically copyright the stuff you make... that gets vary discouraging.
Magnas
Thug

Post by Magnas »

Dead-eye wrote:
Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:Deus Ex modding will probably have come to an end due to how redundant the engine is getting and how bored we all our with its features- if you're using outdated technology, game development can become a tedious task of "why the hell am I even bothering". That's why projects like HDTP and TNM and to some degree NV are such an accomplishment because no one is disciplined enough to bother working on an engine that is now a decade old and is so difficult to work with due to being an emerging 3D engine for the time (when previously only 2D Sprites were used on a 3D background).
Totally, fucking, true. I would have loved to work on MIB some more (I was part of the team) but it just got discouraging... plus participating in the 3ds max fundamentals class, which I'm about 3 days away from finishing project 2. (Woohoo!) Has so much more job potential then being a mapper for MIB. (sorry wildcat if you be reading this.)

To add to Mr.CP's comment. I was a fairly good mapper myself but I really started to hate using Unreal Ed because of all the changes I had been experiencing around me in the advancement of technology. I mean when you can do a better job in a program that is free, open source, better then Unreal Ed and now you can theoretically copyright the stuff you make... that gets vary discouraging.
Not to mention that companies are going to be looking for people who know the technology of today. They don't want to train people to understand more advanced methods. Compare Deus Ex to UT3 and you'll notice a big change in methods, obviously. Learning 3DS or Maya and using it to pump out some awesome work is a much better shoe-in. At least then you can be put to work while you learn the updated engines if it comes down to it.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

^^ I have a copy of UT3 and I used the engine for all of about 5 minutes. A lot has changed and it's not Deus ex so I don't care to use it.

My big project at the moment is developing a real time rendered TV show inside of blender... It's passable just not practical. I still need to work out the bugs however hopefully in a couple months (more likely years) everyone will see the promo episode of "Outpost 1337" and say wow that's kinda cool.

Whats Outpost 1337 you ask? Well it's a show based on a universe I have been developing that takes it's inspiration from Deus Ex and Firefly. Essentially if you got Joss Whedon and Warren Specter in a room to make the coolest thing ever, then had a fan reimagen what they would make... well you get Outpost 1337.
jameseso113
UNATCO

Post by jameseso113 »

You happen to be permitted to article labels, and not backlinks, until these are accredited along with in theme. ufabet777
jameseso113
UNATCO

Post by jameseso113 »

That i taken aback when using the exploration everyone intended to get this to selected present astounding. Terrific process! транспорт на автомобил от германия