Is DX2 Worth it?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Agent_Kyramud
Thug

Is DX2 Worth it?

Post by Agent_Kyramud »

I've read a lot of reviews for DX2, but all I'm getting is mixed messages. So I'm asking anyone who is willing to answer: is Deus Ex: Invisible War worth the $9.99 Steam is asking for?
Kee715
Illuminati

Re: Is DX2 Worth it?

Post by Kee715 »

Yes, but 'tisn't really worth it for more than the story.

I wouldst suggest looking on eBay or Amazon to see if you can get it cheaper, but I guess $10 wouldst be acceptable.
Last edited by Kee715 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Kee715 wrote:Unless you love the Deus Ex story and want to see it continued then avoid this though, not really worth it for more than the story though...
Does that sentence actually make sense...?

My opinions about Invisible War:
http://rooc.offtopicproductions.com/blo ... good-game/

tl;dr version: Sure, pick it up. Just don't expect a game very much like Deus Ex.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

I'd say definately worth the $10 they're asking. No one's claiming that its as good as deus ex, but the only people who seem to bitch about it are the people who expect it to be.
teknikal
UNATCO

Post by teknikal »

IW is a great game... its downfall is that is carries a name and fictional universe not worthy of it; Deus Ex.
It kicks the ass of a lot of new games gameplay-wise in my opinion.

Play it and pretend that its not really a Deus Ex story and definately not really the same JC Denton from DX1...
He has no sunnies! It can't be the REAL JC!!!

*shudders*

Thankgod they made the right decision with Project Snowblind (was going to be Deus Ex Clan Wars... O_o) however.
teknikal's gallery: http://teknikal-vision.deviantart.com/
We are the future. Better than kings... gods!
>come join DXFC: The Church of JC: http://deus-ex-fan-club.deviantart.com/
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

except project snowblind was genuinely bad (or at best very average)
teknikal
UNATCO

Post by teknikal »

Yeah and thats why Crystal Dynamics were smart enough to refuse to call it a Deus Ex game. Good call on their part. It was not worthy at all.

God how HARD is it for these stupid developers to make a good Deus Ex game when the base work is all right there in front of them?! It boggles the mind.
teknikal's gallery: http://teknikal-vision.deviantart.com/
We are the future. Better than kings... gods!
>come join DXFC: The Church of JC: http://deus-ex-fan-club.deviantart.com/
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Jonas wrote:
Kee715 wrote:Unless you love the Deus Ex story and want to see it continued then avoid this though, not really worth it for more than the story though...
Does that sentence actually make sense...?
Oh... Oops, I started typing something and then changed my mind and typed something else, then I erased what I originally typed, and I was tired, I woke up before noon :(

No it does not make sense... I will fix it.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

IW allows for playing of tong tennis.

For this alone, it is worthy of buying and playing.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

As long as one can drop the deus ex part of deus ex 2, it is a good game. not a great game, but a good game. If nothing else, it will increase your appreciation of the original when you see how it could have been messed up.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

God how HARD is it for these stupid developers to make a good Deus Ex game when the base work is all right there in front of them?! It boggles the mind.
I think TNM proved that it "IS" possible to replicate Deus Ex 1's feel and gameplay. The catch is that you have essentially stick to what the original is rather than add Universal Ammo and add Renaissance styling to the game for the sake of "OMFG".

Invisible War is a good game, it deserves merits for being as non-linear as Deus Ex 1 and for having a female role in the game as well- but it fails in terms of everything else that made Deus Ex 1 superior. You'll hate the lack of Cyberpunk styling- that was the first thing that annoyed me. Everything is too damn clean.

It should be always referred to as Invisible War definitely.. Deus Ex 3 shouldn't be called Deus Ex 3.. It should be called Super Transhuman Renaissance Cyborgs from SPACE!

SnowBlind should be referred to as the Deus Ex equivalent of that god awful Shadowrun game on XBL- both are equally as bad as each other.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

teknikal wrote:Yeah and thats why Crystal Dynamics were smart enough to refuse to call it a Deus Ex game. Good call on their part. It was not worthy at all.

At least P:S was more of a DX game than DX3 as it appears...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

teknikal wrote:God how HARD is it for these stupid developers to make a good Deus Ex game when the base work is all right there in front of them?! It boggles the mind.
Speaking from experience: Fairly hard ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

DX2 is good, if you don't think of it as the sequel to Deus Ex, but another game, but because of Tracer Tong, Paul, JC and Liberty Island in DX2, you can't really do that, however, saying its a true sequel to Deus Ex is bull IMO. When I first played it, I went "What on earth is this? What happened to Versalife and what is the universal ammo all about, never in real life does all guns use same ammo!" Later I found out JC Denton was in the game. If you play as the girl, I thought even though its a different touch, the third Denton in the Area 51 where Paul and JC came from, looked male to me, unless it was altered after taking out?

The lighting and textures looked better, like Liberty Island looked very nice, but the storyline was far from that. If we had that kinda visual experience in the Original Deus Ex, it would be amazing game experience.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I disagree with everyone here, I think it was an awesome sequel. It fixed problems with Deus Ex but also created some of it's own - I think both games are horribly flawed but that doesn't stop them being great. The storyline is just as good in the second, and it's a brilliant continuation even if it is slow to fully intergrate with the original game.

The visual style of the game differed in some sections (downtown Seattle, Trier etc. keep the same visual style as the original game), but generally added more variety which I thought was cool. Plus the graphics are awesome, even with blurry textures there's a definite charm about the game and the dynamic lighting system.

Yes, universal ammo screwed up. The HUD was a bit shit (ones in the beta screenshots looked far better), but I think it kept the central points of Deus Ex and focussed on them rather than the over-abundance of different gameplay systems in Deus Ex. It also made the augmentations useful rather than pointless little upgrades you can easily ignore, which considering it was supposed to be augmentations that made the agents stand out above the others, made the storyline make much more sense.