Escaping UNACTO on a no-kill run

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Escaping UNACTO on a no-kill run

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Problem: In order to get out of UNACTO HQ after being arrested by MJ12, you have to kill Anna Navarre to get the key to the exit.
Also:
Problem: You don't have any computers skill to hack the computers and get the killphrase.
Aso:
Problem: You didn't save Paul because you recalled you haven't actually seen what happens when Paul dies in Deus Ex in literally like six years or so, so he can't give you the login.
Also:
Problem: You don't have any good augs at all like regen or ballistic protection that could remotely help out.

Solution: Use Miguel.

I accidentally recorded this in half size on 640x480 so it's mildly blurry. Whoops!
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Re: Escaping UNACTO on a no-kill run

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Hehe, pretty cool.

But you do know there is a datacube with the login information from everyone in UNATCO in the MJ12 base, so you could have just gotten that killphrase :-^ .
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

Heh, very clever. Certainly easier than this way - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsh24FmYlNQ
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

And with Shifter Miguel can even escape being the big hero who brought down Anna. (since you can give him guns.) I tried but never really could get him to kill Anna for me, must not have damaged her enough.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

This sounds like 'twouldst work:

1.) Knock out all of the guards.
2.) Give Miguel a LAW (Shifter)
3.) Stand the f*ck back as Anna goes BOOM!

I have never done so as I am not elite enough to do a no-kill or speed run...
Last edited by Kee715 on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I'm playing without Shifter, because that is also something I haven't done in a matter of years.
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Kee715 wrote:1.) Kill all of the guards.
2.) Give Miguel a LAW (Shifter)
3.) Stand the f*ck back as Anna goes BOOM!
I think you're somewhat missing the point here.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Oh wait, let me fix that...
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Kee715 wrote:Oh wait, let me fix that...
I think he might have meant the point of keeping Miguel alive as opposed dying in Anna's death explosion. With a LAW he's likely to just splash kill himself. Hell, I thought it would be cool to sneak into the armory, get some of my stuff, grab the plasma rifle, give it to Miguel, and let him burn hot plasma through each and every one of those bastards.... most of the time he just ended up splash killing himself :(
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Nah I mean the fact that he was going to kill all the Unatco troopers on a no-kill run. Incidentally you don't even need to knock them out - you can use the muscle aug to bring large crates up to block the doorways, and the guys downstairs and upstairs can't hear you.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

AgentSmithereens wrote:Nah I mean the fact that he was going to kill all the Unatco troopers on a no-kill run. Incidentally you don't even need to knock them out - you can use the muscle aug to bring large crates up to block the doorways, and the guys downstairs and upstairs can't hear you.
Wrong. If Anna runs down the right hand stairs, the guy in that room at the top of them comes running. If she goes down the left, the two on the conference room come.
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Well obviously they can hear you but they can't do anything because the crates block the doorway. That was what I meant.
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

Uh, isn't getting Miguel to kill her still killing her by proxy?

My no-kill runs always included not letting anyone else kill anyone either.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I also don't consider karkians "lives".
It was either this, or just glitch her into opening the exit door, which is meh.
(Plus I tried, I couldn't do enough damage to her to get her running from me without also getting her dead.)

(It's lame that Deus Ex doesn't just let you knock her out. :| It'd be better if she wasn't immune to knockout damage, but when she's taken enough damage that she artificially loses consciousness this is enough to trigger her automatic killswitch ignition. The point of the bomb is to prevent the evidence of the agent, after all- having one kidnapped alive to be interrogated would be worse)

(Obviously Gunther happened because they tricked him into running in that room with a decoy NSF and locked the door behind him, and then he ran out of ammo for all his weapons trying to blast the door)

Edit: I actually handled the Ton hotel raid by saving everyone by knocking them out before Paul could kill them just for the challenge of it, because hiding in the closet is too easy. I've still got a save from right before that, should I record it too?