Expanding the Deus Ex Universe.

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Xesum
Illuminati

Re: Expanding the Deus Ex Universe.

Post by Xesum »

justanotherfan wrote:That's true. There's too much nonsense for the first post to be considered seriously. That general idea I mentioned came mostly from the later post.

Gotta edit to be respectful (to JONASE and Steel_Whatever) and to be taken seriously. If you take a few English classes DeadEye, the writing becomes more natural. More and better editing is always good, but the more you write, the less noticeable a lack of editing is.
DeDeEl thinks you're dumb, justinanusotherhelicopter.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

You think there'd be better google image results for anus helicopter.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

DDL wrote:Your concept of "true deus ex fans" was a tad misjudged, too. Essentially a surefire way to alienate the vast majority of your audience (coz they're not on the list...the people you actually listed would I guess merely be alienated by the atrocious misspelling. Of their own names. Poor "steele_...whatever her name is")
Yeah you want to fight about it? Lets fight right now! :lol:

No just kidding, names on the list are irrelevant the idea I was getting at is that "Hardcore Deus Ex fans" are people who are actively trying to attain a job in the video game industry because of Deus Ex... or at lest used the Deus Ex SDK to do something. When you go to planetdeusex.com and look at the mod list the shear number of people who have made mods for Deus Ex is overwhelming, I just listed the most active in my mind at the time.

Although I would have fought for this Idea at the time of writing, currently I could care less.
DDL wrote: And comparing DX to Star wars is pretty stupid too, given that one was a huge broad-spectrum movie franchise years before anyone made a computer game of it, and the other was unique IP as a game, and a game alone.
I was attempting to point out that Deus Ex has little to no fan made videos or books outside of it's game engine. Where something like Star Wars has Knights of the Old Republic, which is arguably one of the best games ever made.

To this I was going to tie in that EDIOS is not supportive of fan made material, as is the case with "Back in NYC" if anyone remembers that show. All this was going to fit back together to make a case that Deus Ex should be Creative Commons... but I was drunk at the time of writing.
justanotherfan wrote: Gotta edit to be respectful (to JONASE and Steel_Whatever) and to be taken seriously.
Seriousness is for serious people, and seeing as we're living in the age where serious people back studios like 3d Realms, well seriousness is not for me.
justanotherfan wrote: If you take a few English classes DeadEye, the writing becomes more natural. More and better editing is always good, but the more you write, the less noticeable a lack of editing is.
Believe it or not I'm actually in fairly high english classes.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

@ Dead-eye: http://calstaging.bemidjistate.edu/en39 ... howto.html

Just one of the results when Googleing "How to type well"
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Dead-eye wrote:stuff

Man, I don't know. There's so much wrong with your post that I don't know where to start. Shall we just pick on the star wars thing? Yeah.

Ok, remember: star wars BEGAN as a movie. An incredibly successful, mass appeal movie. Before the first star wars computer game was ever made, there were already multiple movies, cartoon spin offs, christmas specials, books, an ENTIRE FUCKING TOY RANGE, themed bedsheets, clothing, cups, gimmick items, the works.

That is a substantial degree of established intellectual property.

KOTOR wasn't even the first computer game about star wars..hell, it wasn't even close. There were a SHITLOAD of games about star wars, and a shitload of mods too. Why you single out KOTOR as being so special, I don't know (plus as far as I know, it's a fully-endorsed, fully-licenced bioware game, and not a fan mod at all). Besides, if it's arguably the best game ever made, where does that leave DX, mr hardcore DX fan? ;)

The world of Deus Ex, while much loved by those that know and care about it, is far far far less established. Essentially all we have is "two games, plus the DX bible" to tell us the entire story of that universe. "If you haven't played one specific critically acclaimed game made in 1999, then you essentially are shit out of luck" is our baseline.

In other words, star wars has more mods and the like because it's massively, MASSIVELY more established, and massively MASSIVELY more known, and consequently, more popular.

You need to choose your comparisons more wisely.

And most of the other stuff you said was idiotic/misinformed too, but hey. I mean, I'm sure you mean well, but there's only so much "concentrated wrong" I can take.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

DDL wrote: Besides, if it's arguably the best game ever made, where does that leave DX, mr hardcore DX fan? ;)
Dead-eye wrote:Where something like Star Wars has Knights of the Old Republic, which is arguably one of the best games ever made.
...arguably one of...
DDL wrote:
Dead-eye wrote:stuff
And most of the other stuff you said was idiotic/misinformed too, but hey. I mean, I'm sure you mean well, but there's only so much "concentrated wrong" I can take.
I don't understand.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Case in point.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

Hay look I don't want to get in a flame war with anybody here. I was drunk when I wrote the first 3 posts on this thread so it's a lot better to just ignore it if you find it offensive.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Dead-eye wrote:I was drunk when I wrote the first 3 posts on this thread so it's a lot better to just ignore it if you find it offensive.
Awesome, I got one out of three intoxicants right.

I think I've posted here after drinking. People tell me I start talking less, with more pauses, and using bigger words. Don't ask me why. Maybe the New Thread button should have a captcha riddle -- "I have two legs, can't walk, and am usually high. What am I?", if they answer "Me", no new thread.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Lol I've never seen my nickname misspelled so badly :D