Hyperion PR - Suggestions Thread

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jaedar
Illuminati

Re: Hyperion PR - Suggestions Thread

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:Promotional online live-action TV series starring Lawrence.
I would watch that.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Matt Damon can be my stunt double \o/
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I would buy the game if it was around 10-15 pounds.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Xesum wrote:I would buy the game if it was around 10-15 pounds.
Probably the price range we'd be going for, although obviously it's not decided, yet. Of course, when you see how awesome it is, you'll probably up your estimate to 100-150, but we won't take advantage of you ;)
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Trestkon wrote:
Xesum wrote:I would buy the game if it was around 10-15 pounds.
Probably the price range we'd be going for, although obviously it's not decided, yet. Of course, when you see how awesome it is, you'll probably up your estimate to 100-150, but we won't take advantage of you ;)
I'll pay what I think it's worth.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

I am sure that they will thank you for your generous contribution of $10,000. :mrgreen:
teknikal
UNATCO

Post by teknikal »

I was staring at my pile of old cereal box-sized games and was randomly thinking...

Special Edition; (slightly pricier of course! and I'd be more than willing to pay) dvd slipcase comes packaged in a nostalgic big cardboard box with sweet graphical arts and a fold-open cover, just like the good old days of games. ^_^

Okay I'm dreaming... :P
teknikal's gallery: http://teknikal-vision.deviantart.com/
We are the future. Better than kings... gods!
>come join DXFC: The Church of JC: http://deus-ex-fan-club.deviantart.com/
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

teknikal wrote:nostalgic big cardboard box with sweet graphical arts and a fold-open cover, just like the good old days of games. ^_^
that would be sweet.
odio ergo sum
loony636
UNATCO

Post by loony636 »

Actually...I remember Age of Empires put a demo on cereal packets once; a lot of people got into that game because it was free, and once they'd finished the demo they went out and bought the full game. Obviously gaming/PC magazines would be a more appropriate medium now, but cereal boxes have a major nostalgia factor.

Demos I always thought were a good way to entice people to buy games; even if its not a demo of an actual level in the game, just something of the same style as the game that players can download for free to see if they'll be interested in it. When advertised on gaming websites and in gaming magazines, these make great marketing strategies (although, given that the game is so cheap its less of an imperative than with, say, $100, where picking and choosing what to invest in is a bigger decision).

Twitter, and other similar social networking sites like Facebook and Myspace, are also great ways of advertising, in addition to the blogging Trestkon already mentioned. The advantage of Twitter is that you don't have to write long progress updates; similar to what BMS is doing at the moment, they just act to keep fans in the know about progress and developments in the project (as well as offer an opportunity to advertise the product). Since your primary audience will be people who are more than likely to be very computer-literate and involved in programs like Facebook and Twitter, advertising on there greatly boosts your chances of reaching your target audience.

And have you considered Steam as a distribution source? Given that its very popular, you'd reach a lot of your target audience since a lot of people already use steam as a reliable source of digital distribution software.
Jaedar wrote:I'm pretty sure that is not how supply and demand works, I mean you have an infinite supply and a finite demand, so technically, you should give it out for free :). But yeah that seems like a pretty good way to go.
Its more the rule of demand. You see how elastic (or inelastic) demand is, and see how much people will pay for something. In theory, less people will buy the game when it is more expensive, and more people will buy a game when it is less expensive. However, this generally doesn't work with certain products, since the price/buyer relationship isn't linear, so the idea is that you balance the amount of people who'll buy it with the amount you make from the sale. Then multiply the two and see what number you get. You can also look at pricing plans of similar games (so, other indie games on digital distribution services like Steam), and see how successful various pricing plans have been. Of course, those statistics aren't always applicable since the quality of the game comes into question, but its a good starting point.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

loony636 wrote:Demos I always thought were a good way to entice people to buy games; even if its not a demo of an actual level in the game, just something of the same style as the game that players can download for free to see if they'll be interested in it. When advertised on gaming websites and in gaming magazines, these make great marketing strategies (although, given that the game is so cheap its less of an imperative than with, say, $100, where picking and choosing what to invest in is a bigger decision).
We'll definitely be doing a demo. I doubt we'll be able to get it on a cereal box but we'll shop it around to as many gaming mags/sites as we can. I'm sure that most of the places that put TNM up will be willing to give Hyperion a go.
loony636 wrote:Twitter, and other similar social networking sites like Facebook and Myspace, are also great ways of advertising, in addition to the blogging Trestkon already mentioned. The advantage of Twitter is that you don't have to write long progress updates; similar to what BMS is doing at the moment, they just act to keep fans in the know about progress and developments in the project (as well as offer an opportunity to advertise the product). Since your primary audience will be people who are more than likely to be very computer-literate and involved in programs like Facebook and Twitter, advertising on there greatly boosts your chances of reaching your target audience.
Already got the Twitter thing going :-) http://www.twitter.com/OTProductions

We'll likely start a Facebook page for the game once it's more officially announced. I don't know if we'll bother making a Facebook page for OTP, I don't think it's worth it, really.
loony636 wrote:And have you considered Steam as a distribution source? Given that its very popular, you'd reach a lot of your target audience since a lot of people already use steam as a reliable source of digital distribution software.
Yep, we're already pursuing that, actually. I don't think think you can beat the exposure you get from Steam, even taking into account the percentage that they take off the top of sales.
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

If you go steam, it would be awesome if you could get your game to be either featured on the first page, or even better try to get into screen that appears in a window Steam pops up on startup with new games/sales/patch notes.
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Hot coffee mod.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

EER wrote:Hot coffee mod.
I tell you, that stuff is incredible for free advertising, political commentary (same-sex marriages seem to be a big thing now) also attracts a lot of attention...
The question is, is it the kind you want?
odio ergo sum
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I don't see why not, if anything, everybody will know your name and at least try your game to see what all the fuzz is about. I mean really, what kind of gameplay does Carmageddon have? But you probably still played it (assuming you're old enough ;))
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Carmageddon?

One of the most awesome games I ever played.

I also met some dude called Kevin that my mum knows who worked on the games.

*Gets Carmageddon Case from shelf behind me and puts it in CD drive and installs*

Why does it still work?

Shit, I can't play that, my eyes are getting raped.