Project 2027 - News?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

ggrotz
X-51

Re: Project 2027 - News?

Post by ggrotz »

bobby 55 wrote:I've not read the spoilers so forgive me if this is a stupid question or kinda mentioned in them. Is the confusing parts down to the translation or just the way it's designed? Aparently it's not too bad a mod from what you guys have been saying.
Jonas wrote:The really confusing part is that every time you get directions, it's with reference to a street name and house number, but the street signs are all in Russian :lol:
A little bit of both. The language isn't too clear at times, but at the same time, it doesn't draw things out fully for you. For example, if someone sends you on a quest (you are a mercenary after all) and you go do it, the goals won't prompt you to go back and collect your reward (or bring the item back) and your next assignment or hint. You have to think to do it, which might be impossible if you save your game and then come back to it. Another example is if you have to do multiple things (the game doesn't track how many you have done or where - again you have to remember).

Jonas describes one of the other things (as I did before). You'll get a street address and a place along with guidance of what to look for, but not much guidance on how to get there. The Paris maps (the second location) are probably the absolute worst in this regard, since there are very little visual cues (despite all the signs being in Russian or French) to figure out what direction you need to go. As I mentioned, just the inclusion of a map image on those two sections would be of tremendous help.

IMO the biggest thing 2027 needs is the language to be more direct in what needs to be done, and a manual (the other "confusing parts" are that the skills have changed and perks have been added, as well as a few new items whose functions haven't been made clear). Be prepared for a lot of wandering and manual note taking when you play.

(as a side note, you can download a OST in the "Music" section of their website, just loaded it up now)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I never did figure out how to use those utility kits or the remote controls, I just opted to ignore all the drones and robots I came across throughout the game :/
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Jonas wrote:I never did figure out how to use those utility kits or the remote controls, I just opted to ignore all the drones and robots I came across throughout the game :/
I found the cheats in the 2027 subforum and got enough cash to be able to play a bit with them (and get skills to be able to get behind some of the locked things I couldn't get previously). Tactically I'm not sure yet how having a robot can be useful, but you need the remote control to be able to use any bot that you find. You can always release it (for most part), but you need the remote to control it. For example, the spiderbot will patrol or support, but I haven't really gotten to deploy one yet against active enemies. I haven't figured out what the utility kits do, but I'm guessing that they affect repairs on any of your bots. Not sure about recharging them though - really this is why a manual is needed.

Really, I'm hoping that I can find some of the different stuff and see what it does. For example, I got into the Omar's case for the augmentation and tried both. Basically options for bullet time and emp pulse. In doing that, I figured out that the latter is what Magnus must have that fries my bioenergy and my explosives around him when I have to fight him. As for other items I've found Napalm grenades and "Radio Grenades", but haven't been able to test the second one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Radio grenades?! I remember using napalm grenades (they are ridiculously effective) but I don't remember finding any radio grenades. Or at least not using them.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Jonas wrote:Radio grenades?! I remember using napalm grenades (they are ridiculously effective) but I don't remember finding any radio grenades. Or at least not using them.
I'm not sure I remember what they were called precisely...radio something grenade. I guess something to be remotely detonated. That's the next thing I want to find and try. I've used the napalm grenades as well. Let's just say whole groups of soft enemies aren't a problem.

BTW, I figured the bots out. The utility kits are for repairing any bots you have on inventory. They are enhanced by the "Mechanical" skill. To fix a bot you drag the utility kit over the bot you want to fix (all things you can use it on highlight). If you want to charge a bot you drag a biocell over it. You need the remote control to give orders to any of them (except the drone). If you have the "Drone Detonation" perk, it turns the drone into a large powerful bomb (I blew up two milbots that were close together with it). If anything is not out and too damaged you turn it off and then pick it back up. Any enemies will actively target your drones or your pet spiderbot if you are using them. Coincidentally, the pet spiderbot is capable of taking out bots as well and seems to be relatively durable, so it'll probably be an interesting toy to play with at least once or twice in this mod.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I still haven't finished it but I am obviously not looking around enough because I'm out of grenades to take out the spider bots guarding Titan. So I keep dying. And I'm stuck.

Never found a remote control, or napalm grenades. :?
I'm also quite short on Augs. They must be really well hidden. :lol:
Either that, or I am shit at exploration in this mod... :P
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Jonas wrote:Radio grenades?! I remember using napalm grenades (they are ridiculously effective) but I don't remember finding any radio grenades. Or at least not using them.
okay, the reference I saw was from the order-by-phone arms dealer. I bought one in a pack with some other stuff and got a garden variety scrambler grenade for my trouble. Doesn't mean there isn't anything else about them (like "take over bot so you can use it with your remote control"), but that's what it seems like. Something that needs corrected language wise.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

nerdenstein wrote:I still haven't finished it but I am obviously not looking around enough because I'm out of grenades to take out the spider bots guarding Titan. So I keep dying. And I'm stuck.
I keep the AP shotgun ammo around for small spider bots. Save my grenades for the bigger stuff. Though if it's the spot I'm thinking that you are in, I usually just heave a LAM in and take care of all of it.
I'm also quite short on Augs. They must be really well hidden.
Usually just well locked up.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

@Jonas and ggrotz: Thanks for the replies. I might wait until my vacation in December then. I'll be able to concentrate on it uninterrupted then.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

@Jonas: Bot usage.
Some stuff has been mentioned already but I try to quick round up the rest. You can get two bots, I call them the stun bot and the emp bot (according to their weapon). To use them equip the bot and use the fire button. This drops the bot in the world and it starts roaming around. You can drop use both at the same time. Equip the remote control. Press the F-Key to switch between which bot you want to control. Use the fire button switches between patrol mode and follow mode. Bots consume energy while deployed (less with increasing mechanical skill). To stop them press the use button. You can now pick up the bots again. Patrol mode causes the bots to stay where they are wandering around until they see an enemy. Follow mode obviously follows you and engages enemies if seen. Destroyed bots can not be restored but damaged ones repaired as outlined above.

The bots are quite useful actually. I once deployed both in front of the Chinese restaurant. They leveled all enemies including bots on their own while I hid some blocks away in an ally watching the carnage through the remote video feed. The stun bot is the most useful. It has two attacks. First it operates like a gas grenade hence near enemies it tends to first belch out a blast of tear gas. Then it starts shooting stun darts to take them down non-lethal. This has two nice side effects. Using the gas blast you can easily knock them out or kill them with little resistance (except gas damage). Furthermore if the bot misses with his darts you can pick them up to stock up on your own darts. The emp both on the other hand works in with the first attack like an EMP grenade. This emp blast is useful to uncloak enemies. The second attack shots explosives at enemy bots. In general the emp bot can destroy a big ass military bot taking around 50%. The emp bot can not attack human enemies.

So the stun bot is really nice to deal with a room befitted with 4+ enemies. Just sneak up on them, drop the bot in the room and retreat... and watch the fun. If you have cloaked enemies drop both bots. The emp bot is going to uncloak them and the stun bot is going to gas them. Until you get the emp blast mod for your eyes (in which case bots are meaningless enemies to you) the emp bot is your best friend against bots. The stun bot is the best friend for non-lethal players to clear out nests of enemies.

Only thing I missed is guiding them around like the spy drone but that would have made them even more powerful than they already are.
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
Chris Rosenkreutz
NSF

Post by Chris Rosenkreutz »

Dragon wrote:@Jonas: Bot usage.
The emp both on the other hand works in with the first attack like an EMP grenade. This emp blast is useful to uncloak enemies. The second attack shots explosives at enemy bots. In general the emp bot can destroy a big ass military bot taking around 50%. The emp bot can not attack human enemies.
There's an EMP bot? Are you talking about Ressie?

I've seen 2 bots. Majestic is armed with a gas grenade and tranquiliser darts which don't stun. Ressie has tranquiliser darts which stun people and magic explosives which don't damage you or it. Ressie's explosives kill people as well as bots so if you don't mind being lethal, it's just as effective against groups of people as the first bot.

The spiderbots don't take much damage from people. I've only lost them against bots. Against groups of 3-10 people, they seem to be more efficient than using guns. I never ran out of utility kits and biocells but frequently run out of ammo for whichever of assault rifles or machine pistols I had skills for. The mod would have been much harder without them.
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

Maybe I mix up something there but I can't remember RESSIE using stun darts nor that it attacked human. You got it from Omars too, right?
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
Chris Rosenkreutz
NSF

Post by Chris Rosenkreutz »

Yes.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Thanks for the documentation, both of you...now I know I have another bot to find. Right now, I'm trying to locate all the aug related stuff, but if the bot is with the Omars, it should be easy to find since I've only run into them 3 times.
Chris Rosenkreutz wrote: I never ran out of utility kits and biocells but frequently run out of ammo for whichever of assault rifles or machine pistols I had skills for. The mod would have been much harder without them.
The wierd thing is it stresses certain ammo at certain times. But there's a couple of armory spots where they stuff a load of ammo in too. Boris also sells it. If you go in the garage to fight, be sure to loot everything where you first come in (after the fact, the fight usually starts too quickly to do it all beforehand).
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

There's a spiderbot and a remote control in the smuggler's area in Paris. It's on a crate in a storage room near where you find that guy you get a mission to rescue.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine