Project 2027 - News?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Undisputed
UNATCO

Re: Project 2027 - News?

Post by Undisputed »

Just beat the game, I chose the Omar ending despite it being my own personal philosophical approach, just for the fact the Omar are badass. Loved just about everything for this mod except the length of the game, which is relatively short and in turn it makes the mod underwhelming due to the hype I built up for it as soon as I seen the first gameplay footage.

I'm not sure why more mods aren't made for Deus Ex, but this shows the time the developer puts into the game is worth it.

Great job Ded.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Undisputed wrote:I'm not sure why more mods aren't made for Deus Ex
Because it's a 12 years old game and modding it is super difficult :D

Consequently, achieving any passable level of quality takes an unreasonable amount of effort, which isn't very tempting when
  1. Nobody gets paid,
  2. A mod for such an old game doesn't look that great in your portfolio, and
  3. Not that many people are going to play it anyway.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jonas wrote:
Undisputed wrote:I'm not sure why more mods aren't made for Deus Ex
Because it's a 12 years old game and modding it is super difficult :D

Consequently, achieving any passable level of quality takes an unreasonable amount of effort, which isn't very tempting when
  1. Nobody gets paid,
  2. A mod for such an old game doesn't look that great in your portfolio, and
  3. Not that many people are going to play it anyway.

Speak for yourself, I think the first release of New Vision clocked up a couple hundred thousand downloads \:D/
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well, you showed me.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Benefits of riding on the back of the game's popularity. Graphic / enhancement mods will always get the most downloads because if people are playing the game, it's because they like that experience. Other mods (∴ experiences) will be hit or miss.

Obviously what you said applies to every other Deus Ex mod except HDTP :)
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

I'm not sure how to get HDTP working with 2027...can anyone help me?

EDIT: Some objects like keypads seem to be HDTP versions while the vending machines and pot plants appear to be old versions. Maybe I got the order wrong with the paths.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

kdawg88 wrote:I'm not sure how to get HDTP working with 2027...can anyone help me?
I think they've replaced enough of the graphics (or hard-coded the paths) that it's almost not beneficial to have HDTP (the released one anyway) working with 2027 anyway. Though, from what I can tell, it's really hard to find the HDTP assets in 2027 anyway. You can notice New Vision a lot more than HDTP though.

Point is, I wouldn't worry too awfully much.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Great mod, thanks Ded and co.!

Couldn't find that last server, Titan wouldn't open the door to Thanatos' chamber until I did. I ended up just going for the missile launch ending instead.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Great mod, thanks Ded and co.!

Couldn't find that last server, Titan wouldn't open the door to Thanatos' chamber until I did. I ended up just going for the missile launch ending instead.
There's a Titan ending and a Omar ending in addition to this one. There's enough different with the Omar path in the last levels that you might want to try the game again with the intention of the Omar ending to see the different content. The branch to get the Omar ending is giving the Amrita vial to them instead of Magnus (or just holding onto it).

But you'll have to get the Thanatos door open for them, too. Been a while since I played it so can't tell you right away where all of it is. You don't have to get the two network switches for anything but the Titan ending (I always get them for the skill points anyway), but you do have to get the switches to the two power generators for the door to open.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Cybernetic pig wrote: Couldn't find that last server, Titan wouldn't open the door to Thanatos' chamber until I did. I ended up just going for the missile launch ending instead.
I wasn't entirely sure the spoiler tags were warranted, but they probably are if this will help people get unstuck with the last level and there are others that haven't played that don't want to see it.

Passing the Last Level (or where are those generators and network switches? Also the super-cool way to do it without multitools or lockpicks)

(this description starts after the "Titan hacking Thanatos" cutscene)
1. When you start the level, go to the right and you'll find a Tower of Babel in the corner. Climb up that using a small crate as an aid until you reach the catwalk. Run across the catwalk and climb the ladder you should see in the middle.
2. You will be in a tube. There's a hole that leads directly down in behind the locked door that was to your left at the beginning. You can go that way, or try jumping across the hole (it's a trick w/o the cybernetic legs, but possible, very easy with them at level 2 though).
3. If you jump across the hole, go straight ahead and climb the ladder. Here is the first generator. There will be a workman there who will challenge you and later open fire on you when you turn this generator on. Go back the way you came.
4. If you follow the tube to the left or right you can fall down on another catwalk. This is advantageous if you played in a way that the Omar are not there and have to fight MJ12. Deal with them (if need be), or fall down to the floor and talk to the Omar (deal with the surprise attack afterwards).
5. Go to the elevator and select floor 4. Follow the hallway to the right (watch the security bot) to the end and then turn on one of the network switches. If you didn't jump across the hole successfully in step #2, the room to the right has another Tower of Babel you can climb (you need to grab the big crate and two small crates from the room to the left) to get into a tube which leads to the generator in step #3.
6. Crawl back the other way through the floor and into a ventilation shaft. The ventilation shaft will lead into a room with 3 MJ12 troopers and the missile launch password. Be sure to open the safe in that room to grab an assortment of grenades. Go out the main door and proceed to the elevator.
7. Select Floor 1. Go through the hallway to the room with the medbot. Be sure to multitool the panel to grab an aug upgrade. Jump into the vent shaft between the two beds (it's possible). Take the immediate right (don't exit) for 100 skill points and go back the way you came and continue on down the shaft.
8. You will end up in the shaft where you will find the missile. Climb down the ladder two floors until you see a door that's wedged open by a box. Go in and find the switch to the second generator. Now the door to Thanatos is open. Be ready for an ambush by 2 MJ12 troopers wearing thermoptic camo.
9. Go back to the room with the generator switch and find the entrance to another vent shaft. Follow it out. Climb up for 100 skill points, a LAM and a red battery. Climb down and follow the vent shaft until you reach the ceiling above the room where you launch the missile. Attack all the MIB and troopers from the ceiling and use it for cover. Be sure to stun the WIB instead of killing her for an aug upgrade. Enter your missile launch login if need be.
10. Exit the room through the lobby to the ladder. At the room you find one floor up will be the other network switch.
11. Climb up the rest of the way back to the room with the medbot. Now you are ready to end the game. Take the door out the hall and to the right if you want the missile launch ending, or if you want the Omar ending and you invited Vladimir Grigoryev along and need to kill him to proceed. If you want one of the other two endings, go to the elevator and select floor 5. If you didn't invite Vladimir Grigoryev along and have the Omars there, you'll need to fight him now.
12. Proceed through the door to Thanatos. The third network switch for the Titan ending is in that map, and should be easily found.
Ded
Mole Person

Post by Ded »

Wow, after a year from the release, even I would not able to write such detailed walkthrough.

I apologize, the last level is a real mess. The quests were done in just a few days and we were in a hurry to release the mod in time, so we ended up with this "go find this f*ing button" gameplay which is the easiest to implement.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I enjoyed it for the most part, I just got really lost. :lol:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Ded wrote:Wow, after a year from the release, even I would not able to write such detailed walkthrough.

I apologize, the last level is a real mess. The quests were done in just a few days and we were in a hurry to release the mod in time, so we ended up with this "go find this f*ing button" gameplay which is the easiest to implement.
I was working on a 2027 game at the time. Actually between other gaming stuff, and other life stuff, I was kind of beginning to forget enough about it to be able to help if I saw questions here. The thing about Deus Ex is that it always seems like you're getting reacquainted with old friends when you pull out the original game, Redsun 2020, ZODIAC, and so on, including your mod. Testing the HDTP beta and the current "final" New Vision release is good enough excuse, too. But it's all fun stuff.

As for the last level, don't beat yourself up about it. It's actually proven to be pretty good for replay value. I've loaded up saved games at different points several times (sometimes repeatedly) just to play things in different ways (different weapons, tactics, and so on) just to get a few minutes worth in. Coupled with the North Labs level, I would say they are perhaps some of the better levels out there.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

nerdenstein wrote:I enjoyed it for the most part, I just got really lost. :lol:
Same! :lol:
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

One of the things I try to do when I'm coding to learn is if I see something I don't know how to do I try to learn it. I tried that in the case of seeing the 2027 launcher and the background picture and ended up writing a clone. I don't know how close to the real thing it is in function. My plans were to just post the source somewhere (maybe) when I clean it up, but if there's any interest I can post the EXE here. The only real selling point of this one is that it doesn't need .NET, but that might not be a concern to anyone here either. But thought I would ask anyway just in case.
Attachments
Launcher screen shot
Launcher screen shot