Deus Ex Battery Park - getting past Hermann?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

ThisIsMyUsername
UNATCO

Deus Ex Battery Park - getting past Hermann?

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Is this in the correct section? ...anyways, along with the rant.

I've decided to play through Deus Ex again, I've sent the distress signal and made it to the Battery Park subway station. This time, instead of being a pussy and running up the stairs to submit to that mentally challenged German mech, I'm taking a more creative route.

I've gone through the ventilation systems and emerged into one of the little homeless huts above ground.

There is a Mil-bot the right of me, roughly three or four bipedal security bots surrounding the area, a squad of UNATCO goons, and last but not least, Gunther. My favorite (although admittedly failed, as you'll see in a couple of paragraphs) strategy so far is to throw my entire arsenal of tear gas grenades, sweeping left to right, so as to choke up all of the humans and cornering Hermann so he can get a face-full of gas, too.

This doesn't help against the bots, however, as when I get to the point of the area that triggers the NPCs to be hostile towards the player, everything goes to hell and I get owned (quite literally). There is also the fact that I have to jump over the barriers blocking the only exit, which is either mapped to be impossible, or I can't jump high enough without the Speed aug (which I don't have).

I've tried taking one of the little climbable white bags of trash with me out of the subway stations through the vents, and working really fast to try and drop it in front of the concrete barriers and jump on it to jump over said barriers, but I take too much damage in the meantime and get captured. Also the tear gas makes the player drop items for some odd reason. :evil:

I'm using Shifter, which means there's a chance that someone will be carrying a one shot, one kill PS20 or will blow me up with a lam (or both :shock: ). I'm also playing on the Normal difficulty and my EMP weaponry supplies are depressingly low. I have no explosives.

I figure this must be possible on some level, because you can avoid or stun Gunther as not to talk to him, and Jock is waiting outside of the barricade in his helicopter. I just want to skip that damned MJ12 level and try and accomplish something significant for once in all of my years of gaming. So, am I screwed, or is there a way to beat this?

TL;DR I am a cocky idiot, can I get past the Battery Park 3 Gunther Hermann barricade without cheating? I am short on supplies.

/extremelylongasspost
I have opened the mayor. When the power drops, go in, and go in, and go in like the US Marshal and his three daughters and we lose the vaccine!

We want to power down the whole system.
Kee715
Illuminati

Re: Deus Ex Battery Park - getting past Hermann?

Post by Kee715 »

No, you either surrender or you fight and get "killed", afterwards the same thing happens as when you surrender, only you start with half-health in any limb that had less.
ThisIsMyUsername
UNATCO

Kee715 wrote:No, you either surrender or you fight and get "killed", afterwards the same thing happens as when you surrender, only you start with half-health in any limb that had less.
Damn, I thought I had something there. :(

Oh, well. Thanks anyways.
I have opened the mayor. When the power drops, go in, and go in, and go in like the US Marshal and his three daughters and we lose the vaccine!

~Psychotic~
Silhouette

Post by ~Psychotic~ »

Kee715 wrote:No, you either surrender or you fight and get "killed", afterwards the same thing happens as when you surrender, only you start with half-health in any limb that had less.
Absolute bullshit. You CAN do it, it just takes a LOT of effort. And mostly only because of the extra help Gunther has. Ideally, you want to get rid of the reinforcements BEFORE activating the conversation. Rockets, grenades, spy drone, run like a fucken pussy behind them (which is what I did originally and then once out of that corner they have you in it's so much easier to kill them all). I also don't think the spy drone is actually available at that time, but I dunno.

I just ran. Ran like fuck. Ran like hell. I ran like I've ran before! Got past the barricades, then proceeded to blow the shit out of them with the GEP gun. No cheats.
When I was younger I knew a motherfucker like you!
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

There is no point getting past the barricades though, you can't do anything cept go back and get killed by mister invincible Hermann.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Jaedar wrote:There is no point getting past the barricades though, you can't do anything cept go back and get killed by mister invincible Hermann.
Laputan Machine.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
ThisIsMyUsername
UNATCO

Unlike TNM the developers of this game made all of the major characters invincible before the actual goal in the game was to kill them. It kind of pisses me off.

EDIT
I have no explosives

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I can't even imagine the amount of work it would've taken to make every character killable at any point in Deus Ex without breaking the game. Even in TNM we had to prevent you from killing Kashue/Evil and Scara/That Guy, so there'd always still be somebody left to give you missions and guide you through PMs. We just found ways to work it into the plot (or make a joke out of it in Scara's case).

As I see it ION Storm only really had one alternative to making everybody invincible until they were no longer needed in the plot: write a plot that wouldn't depend on any characters at all to be alive, like Fallout 2. I wouldn't like that solution - the characters are what makes DX's plot so engaging.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I killed Scara :D
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Do you want a cookie?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
heliosentity101
UNATCO

Post by heliosentity101 »

Or a gold star :lol:
I eat green beret's for breakfast ! and right now I'M VERY HUNGRY !! acolor]
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

How about a summery execution?
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
heliosentity101
UNATCO

Post by heliosentity101 »

make it punisher style though... he has varied ways of executing foes ... :twisted:
I eat green beret's for breakfast ! and right now I'M VERY HUNGRY !! acolor]
~Psychotic~
Silhouette

Post by ~Psychotic~ »

Jonas wrote:Do you want a cookie?
Can I have a cake made from a bomb? Pretty please? With a grenade on top?
When I was younger I knew a motherfucker like you!
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

~Psychotic~ wrote:
Jonas wrote:Do you want a cookie?
Can I have a cake made from a bomb? Pretty please? With a grenade on top?
Sorry, we are all out of Bomb Cakes, but we can make a Chocolate Cake with C4 baked in. And we have no grenades left, but we DO have a bunch of M80s. And all that comes with a Nitroclycerin Soda.

That will be $500, pay up please.