Disney's Steampunk Mickey - A new game by Warren Spector

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Xesum
Illuminati

Re: Disney's Steampunk Mickey - A new game by Warren Spector

Post by Xesum »

Far Cry 2 was decent, most people just hated it because it wasn't like the first one, it didn't live up to their standards.

And it's got a load of hidden things you can find, like Golden AK47's, and a banana that explodes. (Yes there is one, only one)
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:FarCry2 is what happens when you think the formula for Assasin's Creed will work for an FPS...
Now that's just mean, the differences between FC2 and AC are larger and more plentiful than the similarities.

I liked Far Cry 2 personally. Deeply flawed game, but it had balls and it was almost always chaotically entertaining. Except when it froze and crashed, which is the only reason I ever stopped playing it.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I have 2 copies of the game, the one that came with my Graphics card, and the one that came with my PS3.

I've got a mouse for my PS3, so it's normal.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
loony636
UNATCO

Post by loony636 »

Jonas wrote:
Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:FarCry2 is what happens when you think the formula for Assasin's Creed will work for an FPS...
Now that's just mean, the differences between FC2 and AC are larger and more plentiful than the similarities.

I liked Far Cry 2 personally. Deeply flawed game, but it had balls and it was almost always chaotically entertaining. Except when it froze and crashed, which is the only reason I ever stopped playing it.
I liked some of what it did, but I also felt that it couldn't make up its mind on what it actually wanted. In one way, it wanted you to plan each mission, work out the plan of attack, snipe the guards and whatever, but with the inefficiency of the cover system and the poor layout of some of targets (as well as the poor nature of the stealth system), it made running in and killing everything far more desirable. This was something I felt Far Cry did better; it forced you to use stealth at times, whereas Far Cry 2 gave you the ability to kill everything without breaking a sweat.

Another thing I HATED in Far Cry 2 was the monotonous nature of the missions; it was grinding, pure and simple. Go to y, get mission, go to x, kill z, return to y. Rinse and repeat. Occasionally you got extra missions about the refugees, but they mainly consisted of the same mission. This got boring. Fast.

The storyline also felt like you were being dragged along; you just did enough missions until one side told you to assassinate the leader of the other side, then you got thrown into ANOTHER very similar area. This is where I stopped playing, but I gather that that happens to you again. The overall storyline I felt got polluted very quickly, and I completely lost sight of what I was trying to achieve.

It also tried to be a sandbox with the driving and the ability to drive over deer. Funny initially, but the constant "drive, get out, shoot, repair the car, drive" got so boring, and the endlessly long driving sequences with nothing to do (except "get out, shoot, repair, drive") got insanely boring too.

It did do some good things; the graphics were great, the shooting was solid and some elements of the storyline were confronting and engaging, but it could have done so much more.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Oh the gun mechanics? They are good gun mechanics, because over time the guns go rusty and break. Which doesn't exactly happen in other games.

Though the later meetings with the Jackal are very funny.

Like the one where he pours petrol everywhere and explains his plan to you and then there's some epic explosion as the reporter sighs and walks off into the distance.

Also funny when the PC version lags and the Jackal goes Sooo.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o. wwwwwwwwwhhhat d-d-d-d-d-dd *WINDOWS HAS ENCOUNTERED AND ERROR AND NEEDS TO CLOSE*
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

This is where I stopped playing, but I gather that that happens to you again. The overall storyline I felt got polluted very quickly, and I completely lost sight of what I was trying to achieve.
The ending is surprising, essentially everything you did in the game is made redundant, all your choices meant nothing, so in order to finish the game essentially everyone just betrays you, so you now have to kill EVERYONE in the game (yes EVERYONE..), at the end of the game when everyone is dead what is left to do? KILL YOURSELF!! the other option is to leave the country.. but the assumption is you'll probably be killed anyway since you have malaria. So it makes no difference what you choose because the same thing happens.
Which doesn't exactly happen in other games.
Actually System Shock, Boiling Point and Jagged Alliance 2(not an FPS) did this- so its hardly original. In fact I'd argue that the jamming and rusting of the gun occurs too fast.
Go to y, get mission, go to x, kill z, return to y. Rinse and repeat.
yep just like assasin's creed. The only difference with this game is instead of a horse you have a car, instead of swords you have guns, instead of being third person its now first person- and instead of it being the holy lands its South Africa- the overall mission structure is identical.
loony636
UNATCO

Post by loony636 »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:Actually System Shock, Boiling Point and Jagged Alliance 2(not an FPS) did this- so its hardly original. In fact I'd argue that the jamming and rusting of the gun occurs too fast.
Plus SS2 didn't give you the option of going to a room with completely functional weapons and give you no ability to repair them.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

The idea of weapons degrading is an ancient RPG thing, but it's true that it isn't the norm in games. Personally, I don't like it in games. Harsh reality obstructs my entertainment. Beyond that, unless the character uses futuristic rail guns, an AK-47 should outlast whoever is using it.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Far Cry 2 did weapon jamming well: any gun you pick up is rusty and old and will jam. Buy a supply of that gun though and you can pick up a brand new one any time you pass a weapon dealer. Use that long enough, it will begin to degrade as well, but you will generally find a new weapon dealer to replace your gun with a new one before that happens. It's pretty painless, it's mostly there to make sure you have a good reason to spend your money on guns in a game where you can pick up the weapon of any enemy you kill, so it makes a lot of sense in my opinion.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Well yeah, but the AK-47's are not meant to break.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah and one guy is not meant to take on a fucking army of mercenaries.

This is not ArmA, realism is not the be-all end-all. Get over it ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

There's an Army of Mercs?

Oh right those 5 people stationed at every guard post.
teknikal
UNATCO

Post by teknikal »

The fact Disney is letting Warren Spector do THIS to their most beloved characters makes me optimistic.

Clearly we're not the key target audience... maybe Warren's trying the challenge family and childrens' games? I mean looking at the disappointing library of kid/family titles (especially the titles on the Wii), you have to admit it's about time they got some darkness and/or depth in their games.

Oh and must owns for the Wii are:
-The Conduit
-No More Heroes
-Resident Evil 4
-House of the Dead: Overkill
-Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
-Madworld
-Metroid Prime 3 (or Trilogy)

All mature-age titles mind you.
teknikal's gallery: http://teknikal-vision.deviantart.com/
We are the future. Better than kings... gods!
>come join DXFC: The Church of JC: http://deus-ex-fan-club.deviantart.com/
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

teknikal wrote:The Conduit
Sorry, I don't play FPS's with infinite respawns :)
teknikal wrote: -Metroid Prime 3 (or Trilogy)
Indeed, the original Prime game was the best game of the previous console generation imho.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

teknikal wrote: Image
TBH it scares the crap out of me, I don't know why...