Disney's Steampunk Mickey - A new game by Warren Spector

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Xesum
Illuminati

Re: Disney's Steampunk Mickey - A new game by Warren Spector

Post by Xesum »

JizzyJeff wrote:
Jonas wrote:Jeez is there no middle ground between fanboyism and utter contempt these days?
In response to your rhetorical question, no.
You understand that Rhetorical question means that you don't answer the question and it's designed to make you think instead.

I'd give an English Lecture, but I've got to do some work.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

That all looks strange.

I had wondered what the hell Spector could do for Disney. Disney must really be feeling the stagnation of their 81 year old mouse.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

justanotherfan wrote:That all looks strange.

I had wondered what the hell Spector could do for Disney. Disney must really be feeling the stagnation of their 81 year old mouse.
m...i....c...k....e....WHY :mrgreen:
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

its a terrible idea to keep this a Wii exclusive. both Xbox360 and PS3 now have their own motion trackers- its not like the wii has an advantage over them.

Plus I mean the JP guys aren't from a Wii background, they're all from PC, Xbox and PS3 backgrounds- so it makes sense for them to focus on the mainstream consoles..

Its just a rumor and knowing disney's hunger for MASS profits, I bet you it'll be multi-platform, and here's hoping the gameplay mechanics differ on the more powerful systems.
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Heh, I didn't see it was Wii exclusive. Well then all hope is gone,

This is not the game you are looking for, move along
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I can imagine Disney being more comfortable with the Wii. Historically, they've been close companies, right from modern Nintendo's beginning in the 50's. I even remember some fairly serious buyout rumours in the 90's. I have no idea about this new game. If it is Wii only, I'll have 0% chance of playing it until 2072 when the Wii is emulated.

I still think that art looks weird. I'm surprised Disney would commission a game where it looks like Disneyland is rotting. Some shots look like Steampunk, but some look like fanciful surrealism. I'd expect Disney to neuter anything too creative.
loony636
UNATCO

Post by loony636 »

Actually Wii emulation is pretty damn good. Search on Youtube, or just Google Dolphin.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

m3rc1l3ss wrote:Heh, I didn't see it was Wii exclusive. Well then all hope is gone,
This is not the game you are looking for, move along
Wii games can be good too, the motion controls can be sort of reliable sometimes.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I have WiiSports and WiiPlay.

That's it.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Xesum wrote:I have WiiSports and WiiPlay.

That's it.
You should buy the metroid prime trilogy (in stores soon methinks) 3 of the best console FPS's ever, at the price of one, I'd buy it if not for the fact I already have them all :)
odio ergo sum
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Me, "exclusive" nowadays means "the others get it 6 months later".

So let the Wii players be our gineaupigs, and us reap the profits :) (See also: Deus Ex: Invisible War)
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I dunno, how many Wii exclusives have come out for the other consoles later? Or the PC for that matter? I can see this game remaining a Wii exclusive because it'll be designed around the Wiimote. Dunno if you've read about the core mechanic of erasing the levels with the Wiimote and then painting them back in to progress. Could be done with the mouse too, but... well, you know. The Wii has a sufficiently ridiculous install base that you won't need to release on any other platform to turn a nice profit. Releasing on PC just exposes you to piracy.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

There's piracy on consoles as well. Just not a lot, and probably really not a lot on the Wii(too many casuals).
odio ergo sum
loony636
UNATCO

Post by loony636 »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:its a terrible idea to keep this a Wii exclusive. both Xbox360 and PS3 now have their own motion trackers- its not like the wii has an advantage over them.
You mean NATAL and the wand? Or the six axis thingo for the PS3? Neither NATAL or the wand have the functionality of the Wiimote; its not like just attaching your PS2 controller to your Xbox; they both derive their principles from motion control, but none of them behave in the same way as Wiimote, and neither of them are actually released yet, and probably wont be for the next year, probably closer to two.
Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:Plus I mean the JP guys aren't from a Wii background, they're all from PC, Xbox and PS3 backgrounds- so it makes sense for them to focus on the mainstream consoles..
I'd call the Wii just about as mainstream as it gets.
Jaedar wrote:There's piracy on consoles as well. Just not a lot, and probably really not a lot on the Wii(too many casuals).
Its not that there's fewer pirates on the Wii just because more 'casual' games play it (a term which I vehemently disagree with, mainly in its overuse), its that there's fewer pirates on all consoles. The main reason is because its damn hard; you have to put effort in learning how things work and doing them in such a way that wont kill your console. And since piracy is all about convenience, effort is hard to come by amongst those that are inclined to consider embarking on such a course of action.

There's also the fact that you void your warranty by tampering with your console. And if you're not well versed enough to fix it yourself, its bye bye Xbox 360 (though then again, you could just wait for it to RRoD and let Microsoft replace it for you).
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

I guess were you live Loony, there aren't people who "modify" your console for a modest sum, like here in Holland?

Console games certainly aren't less hard to pirate. Then for why piracy is more present on PC's (is it though?) is because lack of knowledge that it can be done, like everyone knows now on the PC (publicy has it's effect), yet each and every real "gamer" on the console knows how to do the trick there too.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...