End of guest posting (or: To the Hells with you, spambots!)

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

~DJ~
UNATCO

Re: End of guest posting (or: To the Hells with you, spambots!)

Post by ~DJ~ »

Trestkon wrote:Jonas and I just decided we don't like guest posting, it's been disabled. Anonymity is scary.

Or just make a Guest forum/Category?

And add some permissions like ALL can post there, so only guys can post there, and mostly, you avoid that section/category.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

~DJ~ wrote:Or just make a Guest forum/Category?
And add some permissions like ALL can post there, so only guys can post there, and mostly, you avoid that section/category.
What are the advantages of guest posting?
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
~DJ~
UNATCO

Post by ~DJ~ »

Advantages: If people are having trouble registering, they post to that category, yes only one category for guest.
Disadvantages: If you allow Guest-posting everywhere, people will post anonymously, so better make a new category/section for guests. only there they can post without registering.
Skilgannon
UNATCO

Re:

Post by Skilgannon »

~DJ~ wrote:
Trestkon wrote:Jonas and I just decided we don't like guest posting, it's been disabled. Anonymity is scary.

Or just make a Guest forum/Category?

Once again:
Master_Kale wrote:You should SO be banned for reviving this amazingly dead thread :P
:lol: Oh, and hi ~DJ~.
Life is a series of random events designed to strip you of your sanity.

Jane_Denton
X-51

Re:

Post by Jane_Denton »

Dae wrote:Spammers have managed to make a special recognition system, which recognises symbols from CAPTCHA or whatever it's called. CAPTCHA is a visual confirmation image.

Here you can download a mod I was talking about. It improves CAPTCHA, makes it a lot more difficult for program recognition, but a human can understand it as good as the default one.

See the difference:

Default phpBB one:
http://www.dxalpha.com/users/daedalus/phpbbstandard.png

Enhanced one:
http://www.dxalpha.com/users/daedalus/phpbbmine.png

The mod works on most of hosts but not on all. That's why before installation you need to backup usercp_confirm.php file from includes/ folder.
After backuping, extract files from the archive to your includes/ folder, with overwriting usercp_confirm.php.
When it's done, log out and check if a visual confirmation image works and shows up on registering page.

Hope it helps.
I tried the link for the file it didn't work, did you remove the file? I was hoping to have it for my future endeavor...
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Log out and press Register.

Very funny.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
EER
Illuminati

Re: Re:

Post by EER »

Jane_Denton wrote:I tried the link for the file it didn't work, did you remove the file? I was hoping to have it for my future endeavor...
That was actually for phpbb2, currently this forum is running phpBB3 and the normal captcha is used with a slight alteration in behaviour (which is described in BOLD CAPS on the registration page).

Edit: I notice a new and improved humanity test beyond the one I was talking about above.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
fredmike
UNATCO

Post by fredmike »

Cheers to the end of guest posting! No more sifting through irrelevant and spammy content. Quality over quantity always wins!
Glass Door Installation and Repair Services in san Fernando valley CA