Deus Ex Reborn (a big surprise!)

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Hahahah...I was about to say "Hang on, Unatco born released some screenshots pretty recently, didn't they?"..then I checked. That was a year ago...where the fuck does all the time go?
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Well u spend most of it sleeping soo.. yeah that'd be right.. What day is it. Feb 22nd.. Geez the years gone fast hasn't it.. lol
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

Oh snap how did I miss this thread. Well thanks to our wikkid awesome mapper Fastgamerr it didnt go totally unnoticed. I will reply on fender's behalf since he is either allergic to the internet or hasn't gotten out of bed yet. In any case, work is still being done on UNATCO Born, in fact Fgr has been mapping hard today. Rest assured once fender gets the UB packages out to everyone again(he's had some recent trouble with his hard drive barfing up blood) the UB site will be flooded with sextacular new screenshots.

As for the DX:R project, it will be secondary to UB until UB is finished(as far as the rest of the team is concerned). I will continue to work on DX:R as much as I can in the mean time. As was mentioned, the characters look rather peculiar in the new engine, this is due to the UT2K4 skeleton being slightly more "buff" than the DX models are used to, this is in no way permanent, as soon as I find a willing, experienced animator to fix up the skeleton it will look just like DX only better. Another question I've been getting a lot is the one of compatibility with HDTP which I'm happy to say will "plug-in" almost seamlessly with dxr when it's finished so nothing to get excited about there(unless that is something to be excited about lol).
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Update your site...

lol. Thats great news.. looks like I was wrong about it then. DX:R sounds promising given the enhancements we could add to the game using new technology. I'm glad everything is back together :D
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Akerfeldt wrote:As for the DX:R project, it will be secondary to UB until UB is finished(as far as the rest of the team is concerned). I will continue to work on DX:R as much as I can in the mean time.
Awesome. Mods like this help and draw people in that aren't necessarily big in Deus Ex modding, like myself. Deus Ex as it is, is a bit of a dead end, with HDTP taking it as far as it'll go graphically with the current engine.... A new engine pushes it beyond texturing and modelling.
Akerfeldt wrote:As was mentioned, the characters look rather peculiar in the new engine, this is due to the UT2K4 skeleton being slightly more "buff" than the DX models are used to, this is in no way permanent
I remember trying UT2003 after UT, the models did seem huge. UT2004 made it look more natural, but I guess it was pretty similar. Worried that was permanent, I'm glad it's not.
Akerfeldt wrote:Another question I've been getting a lot is the one of compatibility with HDTP which I'm happy to say will "plug-in" almost seamlessly with dxr when it's finished.
Now that's great news. Can't wait to play Deus Ex HDTP on the UT2004 Unreal Engine. Thanks for answering all my questons!
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

You know Gunther should import straight into UT2004 since I rigged him the same way as a UT2004 character.

Sorry, I haven't read the thread properly yet as it's late and I'm tired so I will read it all tomorrow. Heh. So sorry if my comment is irrelevant.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

So what kind of improvements does UT2k4 bring? Here's my guesses
-generally less problematic convertibility to other Unreal engine versions
-audio output other than GalaxyAudio, hopefully AC3 etc, whatever UT2k4 has
-In-game (if CLI) configuration of effects like FSAA and filtering.
-effects that could be added someday to weapons and levels, like newer "fire", grass, etc
-possibility of maps someday having hills etc other than stairs/ramps
-ability to take on higher resolution textures and more model polygons
-use of modern tools for modding and such, unrealed etc.
-more spectacular and fun mods made possible eventually, like vehicles etc

I see now ""LIPSinc conversations, ragdoll physics, intelligent AI, faster load times, higher res textures and models, better frame rate, etc""

I remember the UT engine went under some heavy modification for Deus Ex. What gets lost in the conversion? I see you already have conversations, which is the basis of the game (or "probably the main reason I like it"), is there anything that Deus Ex does that can't be done in Unreal?

The blog has been updated with links to-
http://dxr.deusexgaming.com/forum/index.php
http://mods.moddb.com/6569/ (four new screenshots)
Placebo
MJ12

Post by Placebo »

="justanotherfan"I remember the UT engine went under some heavy modification for Deus Ex. What gets lost in the conversion? I see you already have conversations, which is the basis of the game (or "probably the main reason I like it"), is there anything that Deus Ex does that can't be done in Unreal?

The blog has been updated with links to-
http://dxr.deusexgaming.com/forum/index.php
http://mods.moddb.com/6569/ (four new screenshots)
Well, somehow the Unreal2 has some system of conversation.
ImageEvery morning, I meditate about love and peace... I stop after three seconds.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Not as sophisticated, though, I think. And all first person. It seemed very heavily scripted, though that could just be me.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Unreal2? The game was very linear in conversation, but there was a basic NPC-responds conversation I guess. It's been a few years since I played it.

new screenshot, illuminati login prompt-
http://moddb.com/images/cache/mods/65/6 ... _38923.jpg
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I hope you are intending on rebuilding the font system. They look terrible. Also the buttons aren't matching the theme.
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

Terrible is an understatement lol. Yes all the controls will be changed to look just like the ones in DX, I won't be doing it any time soon though cuz its a huge pain in the butt. Same thing for the font.

As for things that can't be ported over, I haven't run in to anything noteworthy yet. In terms of the code though, there is practically nothing from DX that actually compiles in the new engine lol. So ya in terms of code I am writing most of the stuff from scratch but since, on the surface, all the in-game objects behave exactly like they do in DX, no one would notice so there's really nothing worth mentioning.

Actually one thing that you will notice(if i dont find a solution before release) is that the reticle when you highlight something(something about to be frobbed) doesn't change size. In DX when you highlighted something, the size of the reticle would scale with the size of the object and the angle you were frobbing from (basically using the bounding box for the coders out there). In DXR it doesn't scale (because you can't access the bounding box from uscript, or to put it more precisely, I dont know how to access the bounding box from uscript). Now most would say that's a rather superfluous feature and I would agree, but if I didn't put it in I wouldn't hear the end of it.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

-- Why bother! I say leave it out, that was one thing I hated about the interface. The game would be much better then, it'd be less predictable. And now the AI will have a boost the game "Should" be harder to play. Maybe it could be optional. some fans will like it, others wont.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Not sure about the AI...I don't know how DX-compatible the UT bots are.

Oh, they'll have far better pathfinding, and navigation in general, but I doubt the programmers gave them patrolling states, or the ability to flee and hide in a corner, since these really aren't the sorts of things bots are expected to do in UT.

Not sure how much recoding will be needed, and not sure what effect that'd have on the rest of the bots.

I guess we'll see, huh?

Oh, and the bounding box thing is a native function (GetBoundingBox();), in actor.uc...so no luck there, I guess. Arse.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Akerfeldt wrote:Yes all the controls will be changed to look just like the ones in DX, I won't be doing it any time soon though cuz its a huge pain in the butt. Same thing for the font.
I don't think it's that bad, it matches the "Welcome to IIS" title. In any case, it's a small fixable interface difference. Better to focus on fixing anything that makes the game worse than the original first. Fixes like that are for v.2 :)
Akerfeldt wrote:in terms of code I am writing most of the stuff from scratch but since, on the surface, all the in-game objects behave exactly like they do in DX, no one would notice so there's really nothing worth mentioning.
That's exactly whats needed, couldn't be better
Akerfeldt wrote:the reticle when you highlight something(something about to be frobbed) doesn't change size. In DX when you highlighted something, the size of the reticle would scale with the size of the object and the angle you were frobbing from
I'm not entirely sure, but if you mean that the selection reticle will now be the tiny square thing no matter what the item, it's not a big deal. Perhaps others could suggest a fix or another option.
DDL wrote:Not sure about the AI...I don't know how DX-compatible the they'll have far better pathfinding, and navigation in general, but I doubt the programmers gave them patrolling states, or the ability to flee and hide in a corner, since these really aren't the sorts of things bots are expected to do in UT.
Good point. Perhaps the engine has it as other games might want things like that though. It was always a bit buggy in Deus Ex though....as long as it's not blatantly wrong, a different response would be ok.

Now I'm more excited about the mod. What is the general expected time frame for release? What remains to be done? To what degree will (can) this mod be open to the community for further modificaiton? I realize these are the more annoying questions, so no direct answers expected.

BTW, I saw the "Simulated HDR Lighting", it sounds very interesting. Gods willing, DX:Reborn will make conversion to the next Unreal engine easy, and UT2007's real HDR in Deus Ex will astound us all.
http://dxr.deusexgaming.com/forum/viewt ... 6da4365f76
HDR can make for some spectacular images, by capturing much more data than before. I'm more used to it in the context of photography than videogames, but I'm happy to see it's on the way.
(1mb image) http://www.sony.de/content/attachment/hdr_hc1_2.jpg
(article) http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2005/1 ... edr/1.html
----
New screen shots- http://moddb.com/images/cache/mods/65/6 ... _39032.jpg
http://moddb.com/images/cache/mods/65/6 ... _39360.jpg
blueneptune and fender2k1 wrote:We're currently working on a public alpha, which should be ready in roughly two weeks.

The whole project is expected to be done July.